Burmester 911 mk3

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Heard the 911 on thse very speakers .. Drive these heavenly .. For some reasons these speakers are rarely mentioned in discussions here.. I find them very similar in sound to Wilson top of the lines..
I also experienced, not merely a few auditions but almost weekly for several months heard the 911 at a friend he had the Duntech Sovereign. The 911 drove them with ease and aplomb...

The 911 does so well on these type of speakers due to its damping factor; one of the highest in the industry. This amp has absolute iron grip control of woofers and consequently provides some of the best bass performance possible.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
It really is amazing how well the 911's do on a variety of speakers. I still have not heard the 911 on my speakers yet so I guess I am in for a treat. :)

WHAT!!!??? :)

Joel

at the end you will just have an all Burmester system (maybe speakers included) and be done .. You need a great room to put them in .. Room is the final frotier :)

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
WHAT!!!??? :)

Joe

at the end you will just have an all Burmester system (maybe speakers included) and be done .. You need a great room to put them in .. Room is the final frotier :)

Hi Frantz,

Yes, it will be all burmester at this point (except speakers). I traded in my stereo 911mk3 before my speakers arrived and am waiting for delivery of the mono 911's sometime next month. I am using my Dartzeel NHB-108 at the moment with my 077 preamp. It's a nice combo and I love the Dartzeel but I can't help thinking the mono 911mk3's might take it up a notch. Stay tuned ;)

Yes, my room is the final frontier. Not ideal by a long stretch, but I still enjoy the heck out of my system.

My TAD CR-1's are NOT going anywhere. They are AWESOME!!!

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
In response to Joost's PM, yes I am still using the Burmester 911 mk.3 and am still very happy with it. If you are a reader of TONEAudio, you know we don't call components "the best" often, as a matter of fact, I've only used the B word once, in reference to the 911. Three years later I still stand behind that word as it applies to power amplifiers. In terms of all around performance and a product offering the best of all things in one package, I still find the 911 as the amp to beat. Sure, there are a couple of tube amps that provide a little more inner detail, but you have the tube thing to deal with, and the massive 2-box Pass Class A amps have not been auditioned yet, but I believe they are 40 and 70k a pair. (much like the enormous Vitus Monos, which will arrive soon for review)

Hi Jeff, are you referring to the Vitus Audio SM101 monoblocks? I'm very eager and curious as to how the Burmester 911 Mk III will compare against them. Actually the stereo SS101 would be appropriate to compare the 911 with since both retail for about the same price. I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation of your review of the Vitus gear and how they compare with Burmester. This is gonna be a treat!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Jeff, are you referring to the Vitus Audio SM101 monoblocks? I'm very eager and curious as to how the Burmester 911 Mk III will compare against them. Actually the stereo SS101 would be appropriate to compare the 911 with since both retail for about the same price. I'm rubbing my hands in anticipation of your review of the Vitus gear and how they compare with Burmester. This is gonna be a treat!

+1

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Like these? :)

Nice speakers and nice amp!!! Like the Opus cables, too!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Hi Frantz,

Yes, it will be all burmester at this point (except speakers). I traded in my stereo 911mk3 before my speakers arrived and am waiting for delivery of the mono 911's sometime next month. I am using my Dartzeel NHB-108 at the moment with my 077 preamp. It's a nice combo and I love the Dartzeel but I can't help thinking the mono 911mk3's might take it up a notch. Stay tuned ;)

Yes, my room is the final frontier. Not ideal by a long stretch, but I still enjoy the heck out of my system.

My TAD CR-1's are NOT going anywhere. They are AWESOME!!!

Joe-How did you end up with your stereo in your bedroom? Do you own your own house, do you have an apartment, or do you live at home with your parents?

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe-How did you end up with your stereo in your bedroom? Do you own your own house, do you have an apartment, or do you live at home with your parents?

Hi mep,

My 91 year old father passed away in December of last year and moved in to take care of Mom. My bedroom is a decent size so the TAD's do quite well. Some more treatments and new AC outlets and I'm set.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Sorry to hear about your father Joe.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Sorry to hear about your father Joe.

Thank you very much. I sincerely appreciate your kind words. You have a great forum and I am happy and honored to be here. Thanks.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
You are welcome Joe, but it's not my forum. I'm not one of the owners. I have just been here since the beginning.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
You are welcome Joe, but it's not my forum. I'm not one of the owners. I have just been here since the beginning.

I appreciate the correction. I just saw "WBF Founding Member" and assumed. Anyway this is a great forum.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Hi mep,

My 91 year old father passed away in December of last year and moved in to take care of Mom. My bedroom is a decent size so the TAD's do quite well. Some more treatments and new AC outlets and I'm set.

Hi Joe, my condolences to you. My dad passed away in December the year before last and my family and I also moved in to stay with my mom. As a result, I got a very spacious listening room :D

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joe, my condolences to you. My dad passed away in December the year before last and my family and I also moved in to stay with my mom. As a result, I got a very spacious listening room :D

I am sorry to hear of your loss as well. It has been difficult. My listening space will hopefully be growing in the future as well. I would play music for my Dad and he really enjoyed it.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
I am sorry to hear of your loss as well. It has been difficult. My listening space will hopefully be growing in the future as well. I would play music for my Dad and he really enjoyed it.

Yes, I can empathize. My dad was in a semi-coma state for 4 long years due to a hemorrhagic stroke. At least your dad got to listen to great music from a great system. I put my dad on earphones listening to mp3 stuff. But he's free from such suffering now :)

Sorry for going off topic, so let me get back on track. I would like to ask - is the 911 Mk III Class A or AB? Burmester seems rather secretive about it.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Yes, I can empathize. My dad was in a semi-coma state for 4 long years due to a hemorrhagic stroke. At least your dad got to listen to great music from a great system. I put my dad on earphones listening to mp3 stuff. But he's free from such suffering now :)

Sorry for going off topic, so let me get back on track. I would like to ask - is the 911 Mk III Class A or AB? Burmester seems rather secretive about it.

Wow. I am sorry. I can't imagine going through that pain.

Burmester seems almost secretive on all fronts. Unlike other manufacturers who state exactly at what point Class a goes to AB, etc. all Burmester states is that their amps "run widely in class A". I am not sure what that means but since they do not run extremely hot, they run warm actually, I believe the first few watts may be class A. After that I am not sure. I do know when I hooked up my first amp and played the first song, it was very apparent something special and different was going on.

jtein

Mar 25, 2012
Malaysia
Wow. I am sorry. I can't imagine going through that pain.

Burmester seems almost secretive on all fronts. Unlike other manufacturers who state exactly at what point Class a goes to AB, etc. all Burmester states is that their amps "run widely in class A". I am not sure what that means but since they do not run extremely hot, they run warm actually, I believe the first few watts may be class A. After that I am not sure. I do know when I hooked up my first amp and played the first song, it was very apparent something special and different was going on.

More special than Spectral gear (according to your ears)?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
ALL Burmester amplifiers are Class AB... I have had experience with 3 of them (878, 911, 911 MKIII)... The 911 MKIII bias favor Class A more so than the original... The MKIII is markedly warmer at the same volume on the same speakers ... FOr example ... I would venture it is up to 30~40 watts in class A .. then goes to Class B from there ...

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Joe- sorry to hear about your father, my condolences.

I believe the official communication is "highly class A biased". Also not quite sure what that means :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing