Please post your TAD photos here ....

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Here is a quick photo of my TAD CR-1's. The Dartzeel NHB-108 is doing a great job until the Burmester amps arrive.

Joe

Attachments

• tad-dart-small..jpg
    tad-dart-small..jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 1,610

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Nice idea Joe!

Below are mine in a temporary setup, will post an updated picture later on...

Attachments

• tad_cr1..jpg
    tad_cr1..jpg
    94.2 KB · Views: 1,873

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Beautiful room Joost. I am a little jealous. My listening room is my bedroom. Not an ideal setup, but my "sweet spot" is in the middle of my bed ;)

Joe

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Say what??

I don't have a dedicated listening room like most of the members. My stereo is in my bedoom. It's a decent size but nothing like I've seen here :(

Joe

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Nice speakers, are you going to sell the Dartzeel?

I already have a friend who wants the Dart. I can't see keeping the Dart once the 911mk3 monos arrive. I absolutely love the Dartzeel and was only able to buy it after I started the deal for the 911's. If I had not started the 911 deal, I would have kept the Dartzeel and been done. It is that good. I just hope I like the 911 monos better. My timing is always bad. From what I understand, factory mono 911mk3's are supposed to be better than the 909mk5 amp.

Joe

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Joe,

I see a PS Audio PPP there... You're not plugging the DarTZeel there, are you? I'd suggest you Don't do that, if that is the case...
And my vote is in the DarTZeel staying... :)

Alexandre

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Joe,

I see a PS Audio PPP there... You're not plugging the DarTZeel there, are you? I'd suggest you Don't do that, if that is the case...

Alexandre

I agree. I never plug an amp into anything except a dedicated AC outlet

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joe,

Alexandre

Hi Alexandre,

I've used it with and without the PPP. I do think it helps in my case. I have been trying to get electrical work done but both guys/companies I though I could trust flaked out on me. It's left me a little upset and nervous to get someone else. I have a lot of DC on my line and need toy use PS Audio humbuster III's to remove it. My home AC panel need to be replaced along with the old breakers. It's not an easy job but not difficult for a seasoned electrician.

I agree. I never plug an amp into anything except a dedicated AC outlet

Until I get dedicated outlets, I need some help with cleaning up my AC. It's pretty bad.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Until I get dedicated outlets, I need some help with cleaning up my AC. It's pretty bad.

it's far less money to install a dedicated line to buy a power conditioner which as I stated would never plug my amp into as you can lose a lot of life from your amp

Reactions: Audire

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
it's far less money to install a dedicated line to buy a power conditioner which as I stated would never plug my amp into as you can lose a lot of life from your amp

Understood. The PPP is there, but not utilized at the moment.

Thanks Steve!!!

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Joe- just realized you have kept on the grills on the LF units of you CR's. As per the manual they should be removed during playback.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Joost,

That was just the first photo when I set them down. As I was playing them, I started reading the manual and saw that quote and quickly removed the grills. I keep them off now.

Joe

Joe- just realized you have kept on the grills on the LF units of you CR's. As per the manual they should be removed during playback.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
If your AC problems are due to poor mains quality coming into home then dedicated lines are not going to help much there. Yes, it will help, but to my mind not the best investment.

Steve pointed out the great dilemma for many audio people: the majority of power conditioners clean up one problem, and introduce another, mainly because they have too high an impedance -- they can't deliver sharp transient peaks of current which a lot of amps draw when working hard. So the only "solution" going down this road is to get a big mutha of a conditioner, a Hummer so to speak. Which means that the conditioner may cost more than the amplifier!!

Frank

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Frank,

I am sure you are 100% correct. I hope the new lines help a little. Would installing a 240V line and using a power conditioner that accepts 240V on the input and outputs 120V be any better?

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frank,

I am sure you are 100% correct. I hope the new lines help a little. Would installing a 240V line and using a power conditioner that accepts 240V on the input and outputs 120V be any better?
This is a "how long is a piece of string" question -- it really comes down to well the unit doing the conditioning is engineered, and whether its characteristics suit the particular amplifier. People often talk about synergy, which I pooh pooh with regard to the purely audio components, but in the area of PCs and amps there really will be such. One PC and amp, disaster; same PC, a different but similar power amp will work brilliantly.

Theoretically the amp should not be fussed about the power quality coming in, IF it is really well engineered. So, as a first suggestion I would take it one step at a time. Try the amp raw, if quality varies depending on time of day then that's a strong indicator of problems. Then, create an effectively dedicated circuit as a test, by reserving one circuit in the house purely for the amp; which means switching off every point on the circuit and pulling every plug: the trick is to make this "test" circuit as clean as possible. This may, or may not tell you something.

Further, try various low cost filters at the wall socket for the amp, some will help, some will make things worse. If you try an expensive product make sure it's done on a trial basis: could easily be a complete dud.

The thing is, that there are so many ways of dealing with this interference problem, and the better the system the more obvious the effects are often, of trying one technique versus another. Overall, I suggest just trying one thing at a time, and don't make hasty decisions which cost big money ...

Frank

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Frank,

Thank you very, very much. I completely understand all the problems I am dealing with here and appreciate the advice. I keep you updated as everything settles down.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing