Please post your TAD photos here ....

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Greer South Carolina (USA)
thanks...photo ending 124656...the 3rd one from the top shows the Right speaker with the Stillpoints logo facing UP (which is on the non-beveled side). But interestingly in the bottom 2 photos of that SAME Right speaker, the Ultra 5s appear to be beveled side UP. Were these photos taken during setup by any chance?

All the Stillpoint Ultra5s are oriented and bolted into the R1 bottoms in the same orientation; you can see Stillpoint logos or not depending upon the rotation of the Ultra5 (where it stopped when bolted in). Further the Ultra5 bolts have a 1/4"-20 threaded section that only fits into the Stillpoints one way, on one side, the other side of the Ultra5s has a huge threaded receptacle for spikes (which I'm no longer using). In the pictures posted yesterday, I don't see what you are referring to....

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Beautiful and awesome speakers, my dream speakers. Not sure if you ever investigated swapping the left speaker and rack, you get a significantly bigger sound stage and would have them more equally positioned L <-> R in the room.

Appreciate the feedback very much. The room is irregular and this placement gets them the closest to aesthetically please in the room to someone else in the house as it happens:cool:

More importantly,..I stopped putting 2,3 and 4 level racks between speakers some years ago when I found it interfered with center-imaging. Having only low-profile stands in the middle sounds and images better and having great rack to the left posed less problems in 3 different homes and counting.

FYI...sound-stage dimensions when I listen and play many 'crucible' tracks for this sort of thing are 7-8 feet to the left of left speaker outside edge and 7-8 feet to the right of the right speaker outside edge, at least 5 feet beyond the back wall "into the neighbor's yard', all the way out to the listening position when the track calls for it. Floor to ceiling stage when the track has it as well.

Thanks again for the feedback!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
CR1's, Concert Fidelity, MBL, Sony PSB80/Kondo, Z:axis Audio.

Paul,...

Beautiful setup and collection of gear!!!!!

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

mauidan

Member Sponsor
Aug 2, 2010
Pukalani, HI
AB- I'm glad you enjoyed the picture, but it's not my system....saw it on FB.

I have no desire to own any TAD or Pass Labs equipment.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
AB- I'm glad you enjoyed the picture, but it's not my system....saw it on FB.

I have no desire to own any TAD or Pass Labs equipment.

..ouch

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Beautiful...thanks for posting more photos!

kingfisher

May 25, 2017
Istanbul, Turkey
Hi everybody,

This is my first post at WBF, glad to be here ! After a happy listening period of 4 years with amazing TAD CR1's, "the golden shot" arrived in my cave last week. I hope to share first picture if can manage it right :) IMG_3067.JPG

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Hi everybody,

This is my first post at WBF, glad to be here ! After a happy listening period of 4 years with amazing TAD CR1's, "the golden shot" arrived in my cave last week. I hope to share first picture if can manage it right :) View attachment 32630

CONGRATULATIONS on a huge upgrade over what was already a great speaker. Once they break in, you will be further amazed at what the R1s are capable of!

Very happy for you!!!

<a fellow TAD R1 owner since this past December and extremely happy at that!>

kingfisher

May 25, 2017
Istanbul, Turkey
Thank you Today, I installed Harmonix tuning base RF-999 under spikes of REF1. I was satisfied with their performance under CR1's. Surprisingly, my initial impression is not the same when using them under REF1's. Do you have any similar experience ? What would be the best feet for them ?

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you ?? Today, I installed Harmonix tuning base RF-999 under spikes of REF1. I was satisfied with their performance under CR1's. Surprisingly, my initial impression is not the same when using them under REF1's. Do you have any similar experience ? What would be the best feet for them ?

You are very welcome!

The RF-999 will yield different results as would any other device due to the difference in mass and size of the R1s versus the CR-1s. With this, and with heavier versus mid-size amps, etc...I've found there is no one 'fits all' answer.

I have been using Stillpoints ULTRA5 bases underneath my R1s since January (no spikes) and have found them indispensable to tightening bass and mid-bass in particular. I would highly recommend those. SP makes and ULTRA6 but one person I know who tried both the 5 and the 6s with his 2 pair of R1s (yes, you read it correctly), found no difference between the 5 and 6 so the extra $$$ for the ULTRA6s is not necessary (a set of the ULTRA5 already costs enough IMHO :) ) !

SCAudiophile

Sep 11, 2010
Thank you for great recommendation, this seems to be my next investment then :)

It's a bit pricey as an option however it is 'once and done' for the R1s or anything else in the future you might apply them to; you won't be sorry you did. No spikes is key as the coupling bolt from the top of the ULTRA5s is not of a big enough diameter (IMHO and based upon my trials) to hold the ULTRA5s offset from the R1 bases with the big Stillpoint spikes on the bottom (moving speakers with spikes introduces undue stress on the junction and I was not comfortable carrying forward with them. All that stated, I tried ULTRA5s with spikes and no spikes; with 1 1/2" or better thick pile carpeting, I have not heard any sonic advantage to spiking these once the ULTRA5s are on them. If you are looking for a good source for Stillpoints products and don't have a dealer nearby, I can recommend one,...PM me and let me know. Good Luck!!!

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing