What's Your Favorite Single Malt Scotch

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
for the record the Japanese own 20% of the distilleries in Scotland, including Tomatin.

Glenfarclas 17 I too find enjoyable along with Oban(bought a distillery only bottle there when I toured back in '17) and Aberlour 18
No wonder when I went to visit a few years ago it was full of Japanese tourists. Not a bad whisky.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
IMG_4684_1024x1024@2x.jpg
One of my favourite. Was introduced to it when I went to visit some research fish farms near Machrihanish. Springbank is the oldest family owned distillery in Scotland.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Japanese are apparently the 4th largest consumers of whisky in the world. That is also quite likely why a lot of Japanese flocked there.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
View attachment 74263
One of my favourite. Was introduced to it when I went to visit some research fish farms near Machrihanish. Springbank is the oldest family owned distillery in Scotland.
Agree!! I have bought several different years of this exact whisky and have nearly finished the last one after all these many years. A truly great whisky.

howiebrou

Jun 29, 2012
Agree!! I have bought several different years of this exact whisky and have nearly finished the last one after all these many years. A truly great whisky.
I seriously regret not buying the 20yr old Springbank I saw in a shop in Stirling Highland Hotel. It was only about 100 pounds....

cmarin

VIP/Donor
Jul 16, 2011
Texas
My favorites are Balvenie 21 and Tomatin 18 - a more recent discovery and a great value

astrotoy

VIP/Donor
May 24, 2010
SF Bay Area
Question for the educated on cognac:

I received a Louis XIII Cognac from the late 1960/early 70s, the kind that comes in the fancy Baccarat crystal bottle. Does anybody know if it is actually now just vinegar or, if it was reasonably well cared for, still drinkable...or even very drinkable?

Not sure I am the right guy to open a 60-year old bottle of cognac that brand new retails for $1500 since I know nothing about cognac and the few times I have had reasonably priced coganic, it was nice but I much preferred a Macallan 30 or a Springbank 21 (such a plebian).

Thanks for any advice.
When you are finished, the Baccarat crystal bottle is a very nice and expensive decanter. BTW, they should be very good friends, and ones that at least know that it is not Gallo brandy. Larry

DetroitVinylRob

VIP/Donor
Dec 29, 2016
Metropolitan Detroit area, MI
If it's been stored properly, away from heat and light it should be fine. Generally, spirits won't "age" in the bottle like wine. If you like cognac, invite a few friends over and open it.

Beau
Agreed. Enjoy this rare moment. Cheers!

twitch

Jun 17, 2010
SE Pa
I could be wrong but I think Glenturret is the oldest distillery, 18th century I believe

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
I could be wrong but I think Glenturret is the oldest distillery, 18th century I believe
If you mean in Scotland then they are oldest but haven't been in continuous production. Strathisla only about 15 years younger has been in continuous production since 1786 I believe.

If you want just the oldest, Bushmills in 1608 is the oldest remaining licensed one that been in continuous production.

Since most whiskey I can afford is between 5 and 20 years that's old enough for me to be interested!! :)

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
For a nice almost every day:) sipping scotch this is nice and reasonable.

Attachments

• shieldaig-18-year-old-single-malt-scotch-15.jpg
    shieldaig-18-year-old-single-malt-scotch-15.jpg
    102.8 KB · Views: 2

audiobomber

Oct 13, 2020
Sudbury ON, Canada
I have these in the cabinet at all times:
Aberlour A’Bunadh for special occasions. Too big for daily consumption (60% abv)
Craigellachie 13yo the rest of the time
Bowmore 12yo for the occasional hit of peat

Last edited:
Reactions: beaur

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing