What's Your Favorite Single Malt Scotch

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My favorite is Lagavulin 16
If I want to back it down a bit Balvenie 12

And I like my scotch neat

Lagavulin is probably one of the most eminently drinkable and excellent whiskys. And despite its incredible escalation in price the last few years...it is still very very good value for money, and i think it ranks up there with some of the all time best whiskys ever. For me, Macallan 30 year, Yoichi 20-yr, Springbank 21, Springbank 18 are amongst my 'top 5' but i would easily say Lagavulin is in the top 10...and number 1 for value for money. Next, believe it or not is probably Springbank 21 which is mindboggingly good...especially if you like Lagavulin 16. (BTW, i also have the 12 and Distiller's Edition).

I have not had the Balvenie...which one is your favorite and how do you compare it to the Lagavulin 16...which i just finished last nite!!!

Kingsrule

VIP/Donor
Feb 3, 2011
The Balvenie is like a light Lagavulin 16. The 16 is far superior and much more intense but the Balvenie is hitting the spot right now.
I think I'll pick up a Springbank 21 this weekend. Haven't had it in years.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
The Balvenie is like a light Lagavulin 16. The 16 is far superior and much more intense but the Balvenie is hitting the spot right now.
I think I'll pick up a Springbank 21 this weekend. Haven't had it in years.

let me know if you like the springbank 21....they've skyrocketed btw...though you probably know that. good to know on balvenie...will give it a try next change i get.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I am very happy with the Macallan 18y/o.

The problem with Scotches, however is the same as wine. Some vintages are better than others.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I am very happy with the Macallan 18y/o.

The problem with Scotches, however is the same as wine. Some vintages are better than others.

Agree on macallan 18...generally find it comparable/better than 25-yr and far superior in terms of value. Every try Macallan 30-yr? or St. Magdalene 26-yr? Stunning and quite a bit better (to me) than even the mighty 18 which ranks within top 15 for me.

theophile

For a simiar flavor without the bite of peat, this single malt Irish whiskey is very smooth.

Wards,

I ventured to buy a bottle of the Bushmills 16yo Three Woods about a month ago. Prior to that I had loved Dalwhinnie 15yo Scotch. The Bushmills has charmed my palate. What a complex mix of flavours it possesses. I didn't buy it based upon your recommendation, but I'd sure like to confirm that it is a worthy spirit.

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Thought I would revive this thread as I have been sampling a few new ones lately.

My usual answer to the question is; "The one in front of me." Well the ones in front of me recently have been;

Longmorn 16 Best with a splash of water to open it up. Both smooth and flavorful at the same time.
Tobermory 15 Complex and spicy, there's a lot going on in each sip.

Just received a bottle of Bruichladdich The Classic Laddie. It's unpeated so I know I will enjoy it, the question is how much?

Beau

Orb

Sep 8, 2010
We recently ordered the Balvenie 21 Year Old PortWood, and have to say was very enjoyable.
I can see why this is a love/hate bottle because it is incredibly smooth and light and IMO designed to be had neat without water; many may prefer a whiskey to have more bite/"character" but for me it is really nice to find an incredibly smooth and subtle-graceful whiskey.
Reminds me of Vodkas, where some are so smooth you can drink them neat without appreciating just how strong they are (and usually end up doing idiotic things if not careful), most would not think a Vodka could be like that - the smooth ease of drinking neat rather than too much making one a clown :)

Cheers
Orb

1980 Bowmore Single Malt, cask strength; though my normal favourite tipple is currently an Irish 15 year old Red Breast pot still whiskey. The 1980 Bowmore is definitely in the top three whiskies I have ever enjoyed - sublime.

Whisky.jpg

Wards,

I ventured to buy a bottle of the Bushmills 16yo Three Woods about a month ago. Prior to that I had loved Dalwhinnie 15yo Scotch. The Bushmills has charmed my palate. What a complex mix of flavours it possesses. I didn't buy it based upon your recommendation, but I'd sure like to confirm that it is a worthy spirit.

Might I be so bold as to suggest you try the 15 year old Red Breast - its a pot still whiskey, distilled in the south of Ireland. While a touch sweet, its exceptionally smooth and leaves a delicious after taste on the pallet. Triple distilled. Quite a different experience to what I Scottish cousins offer, like most Irish whiskeys, there is no peat / smokey finish. If you can't find the 15, then the 12 is a wonderful compromise. I don't think the 12 cask strength is worth the premium. Better off spending another $10 and getting the 15.

edorr

WBF Founding Member
May 10, 2010
Smyrna, GA
Have not had one for over a decade, but in my whiskey drinking days the aforementioned (Irish) Bushmills Malt 16 was a favorite, along with Oban.

theophile

Might I be so bold as to suggest you try the 15 year old Red Breast - its a pot still whiskey, distilled in the south of Ireland. While a touch sweet, its exceptionally smooth and leaves a delicious after taste on the pallet. Triple distilled. Quite a different experience to what I Scottish cousins offer, like most Irish whiskeys, there is no peat / smokey finish. If you can't find the 15, then the 12 is a wonderful compromise. I don't think the 12 cask strength is worth the premium. Better off spending another $10 and getting the 15.

Like edorr below I barely tipple anymore. I have a little dram every few months or so. Thus my bottle of Bushmills will last me until 2050. I might see if there is a sampler bottle of Red Breast that I can purchase. Thanks for the tip.

Have not had one for over a decade, but in my whiskey drinking days the aforementioned (Irish) Bushmills Malt 16 was a favorite, along with Oban.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
My (very) personal ranking. (Y) means i own them and know them well. Some notes though not good ones frankly. The rankings means that anything with a '0' is the top of the list and all those are ranked relatively equally, and the next category follows. Since there are 4 whiskys in the top category, the next category starts at 5. You get the basic idea.

0. Glenfiddich '77, smooooth, rich, stunningly smooth actually
0. Springbank 35-year; smoky, the ultimate of Springbank non-sweet imho
0. Springbank 21-year (Y) smoky, sweet, smoooth, the ultimate of Springbank sweet imho...this is the recent global release of only 1500 bottles. i got 2 and am keeping one. locally, they have already doubled in price to the original release price in Jan. Nuts, frankly.
0. Macallan 30-year, smoooooth, clean...one of the most memorable and favored clean, smooth non-smoky whiskys of all time imho
0. Yoichi 20-year (Y)

5. Springbank 18 (Y), smoky, smooth, for what i paid a stunning achievement, and its doubled in price in the last 3 yrs since selling out.
5. St. Magdalene 26-year (Y), honey, pure honey
5. Ardberg Supernova '10 (Y), smoke!!!, but so tasty, so good you could drink the smoke for a looong time.
8. Ardberg '78, smoke, 'rougher'
8. Sazerac Rye 18-year Old (Y), smooth Bourbon, very smooth, very refined and a memorably caramely flavor
10. Glenrothes 1985 (Y) rich, syrup
10. Lagavulin 16 (Y) great value, smoke and one of my fav whiskys. period.
10. Macallan 18 year (Y), great value
10. Laphroig 18 Year (Y), smoke,
--------------
13. Glenmorangie 18 (Y),
13. Invergordon Berry Bros 1971 (Y)
13. Laphroig 10 year (Y), smoke
16. Highland Park 18 (Y), med rich,
--------------
17. Craggenmore 12-year (Y), light, smooth
18. Ardberg 1991, smoke
19. Glenlivit Nadurra 16 yrs, sweet
19. Lagavulin Distillers Edition (Y),
19. Yoichi 10-Year,
22. Lagavulin 12year (Y), light smoke
--------------
23. Glenmorangie Cellar 13, sweet, smooth
24. Glenmorangie Signet, sweet smooth
25. Bowmore 18-year, Bruiccladdich 18

beaur

Fleetwood Sound
Oct 12, 2011
Brooklyn
Phillip,

I agree about the Red Breast. Good stuff. I have some Jameson Gold Reserve I picked up in Dublin that's good also. Don't know if I'd be able to afford the Bowmore now bet that's one pricey bottle if you can even find it now. There are so many smaller distillers in both single malt and bourbons that it's hard to keep up but I am trying. I now treat it like cheese; I just go into a specialty store I know and ask for what they like in a certain style. Rarely disappointed and helps me find new makers.

LL that's one great list. Wish I would keep track like that. :)

I picked up some Taketsuru 17yr old on a recommendation from a friend. Nice for a Japanese whiskey which I usually don't like.

Also thought you may enjoy this;

http://www.esquire.com/food-drink/drinks/videos/a10034/scotch-whisky-brands-list-5841578/

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
My favorite summer scotch (we have HOT and Humid summers) is Macallan Maker's Mark/Edition Fruit and Spice. Goes very well with a chocolate dessert too.

It smells sooooooooo good. :D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Update...I have gone through a number of whiskys and bourbons over the last few years but recently came across one which is staggeringly good.

Jefferson's Presidential Select 20 Year Old

This is...after the long list below and probably owning a dozen or more different whiskys and/or trying in proper bars different recommendations...one of the single finest bourbons I have had in all these years. Relative to the ranking below, i would comfortably ranking it alongside the top end of the '0' class below (ie, best of the best i have tasted).

And it would be the least expensive of those without doubt, the next being the Springbank 21 of which I have bought 3 different years and 5 bottles.

Enjoy!

JackD201, here you go. My ranking. (Y) means i own them and know them well. Some notes though not good ones frankly. The rankings means that anything with a '0' is the top of the list and all those are ranked relatively equally, and the next category follows. Since there are 4 whiskys in the top category, the next category starts at 5. You get the basic idea.

let me know if you've any other questions! happy to share my opinion.

0. Glenfiddich '77, smooooth, rich, stunningly smooth actually
0. Springbank 35-year; smoky, the ultimate of Springbank non-sweet imho
0. Springbank 21-year (Y) smoky, sweet, smoooth, the ultimate of Spring sweet imho
0. Macallan 30-year, smoooooth, clean...one of the most memorable and favored clean, smooth non-smoky whiskys of all time imho

5. Springbank 18 (Y), smoky, smooth, for what i paid a stunning achievement, and its doubled in price in the last 3 yrs since selling out.
5. St. Magdalene 26-year (Y), honey, pure honey
5. Ardberg Supernova '10 (Y), smoke!!!, but so tasty, so good you could drink the smoke for a looong time.
8. Ardberg '78, smoke, 'rougher'
8. Sazerac Rye 18-year Old (Y), smooth Bourbon, very smooth, very refined and a memorably caramely flavor
10. Glenrothes 1985 (Y) rich, syrup
10. Lagavulin 16 (Y) great value, smoke and one of my fav whiskys. period.
10. Macallan 18 year (Y), great value
10. Laphroig 18 Year (Y), smoke,
--------------
13. Glenmorangie 18 (Y),
13. Invergordon Berry Bros 1971 (Y)
13. Laphroig 10 year (Y), smoke
16. Highland Park 18 (Y), med rich,
--------------
17. Craggenmore 12-year (Y), light, smooth
18. Ardberg 1991, smoke
19. Glenlivit Nadurra 16 yrs, sweet
19. Lagavulin Distillers Edition (Y),
19. Yoichi 10-Year,
22. Lagavulin 12year (Y), light smoke
--------------
23. Glenmorangie Cellar 13, sweet, smooth
24. Glenmorangie Signet, sweet smooth
25. Bowmore 18-year, Bruiccladdich 18

Reactions: Ron Resnick and ack

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Hi Lloyd, how do you rate Nika on the barrel and Oban?

Alrainbow

Dec 11, 2013
This topic should be into 3 subs. Heavy peated , lite peated and non. I drink all above. My reason is the pests are smoked and have less layers. The non are to me a more pure layered taste. lastly there are plenty of non scotch whiskeys I love too.

Reactions: sujay

sujay

Member Sponsor
May 5, 2012
Singapore
I used to love peat......long ago! I just can’t handle it now. So that takes away Ardberg, lagavulin, laphroig for me. I love the sherry casks and the highlands, non-peat. I particularly like bunahabain, benriach, glendronach, tomatin, Ben nevis, glenfarclas.....
I love Highland Park too, especially the Valkyrie, I think the Japanese whiskeys are overrated and don’t justify their price.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing