What's Your Favorite Single Malt Scotch

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Last time I had a scotch I found myself 20 miles from home with no idea as to how I got there. Haven't touched a drop of hard liquor since, and that was 30 years ago. Now I'm good with beer and the occasional glass of wine. I will say I loved the smell and taste of it though.

John

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
you're like me John

I gave up drinking everything several years ago ever since a nutritionist with whom I had contracted proved to me that there is no nutritional value in alcoholic beverages. I must admit however that I do like swirling a good glass of red wine and sticking my nose into the top of the glass to catch its bouquet

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
I drink more wine (Amarone, Meritage, Cab, Merlot) than alcohol these days, but I do still enjoy a nice scotch or single malt whiskey.

There are better scotches out there but I have been drinking Glenlivet since college. It is my standard go to for just wanting some scotch.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
In recent years, I have really grown to like Lagavulin. This one I would not suggest for anyone starting out.

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
For a simiar flavor without the bite of peat, this single malt Irish whiskey is very smooth.

Ron Party

WBF Founding Member
Apr 30, 2010
Oakland, CA
It's hard enough we are discussing this, but then you have to go post pictures, including one of my favorite!

Wardsweb

May 8, 2010
San Antonio, TX
wardswebllc.com
Finally! A no brainer question. The answer is The Macallan (18 y/o if possible).

Macallan is an awesome drink but on my budget not something I can drink all the time. The 25 year was incredible during our last cruise.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
you're like me John

I gave up drinking everything several years ago ever since a nutritionist with whom I had contracted proved to me that there is no nutritional value in alcoholic beverages. I must admit however that I do like swirling a good glass of red wine and sticking my nose into the top of the glass to catch its bouquet

Steve-Who drinks alcohol with the purpose of thinking it has nutritonal value? Alcohol consumption provides empty calories-damn good ones though. My uncle used to tell me that he felt sorry for people who didn't drink alcohol because when they got up in the morning, it was the best they were going to feel all day. There are other things I would rather give up than drinking. For instance, I used to be Catholic, but I gave it up for Lent one year.

Fred

May 31, 2010
Covington, LA
For a long time I was rather smitten with Oban. Then I became smitten with Macallan, followed by Glen Livet, then followed by Dalmore. I only had a brief flurtation with Knockando and never really got into Lagavulin. I prefer the Highland malts over the Islay varieties as I'm not a fan of peat. Wish I had gone long on scotch futures a while back considering the prices most are fetching these days. Which brings me back to drinking mostly the ho-hum 12 year old Glen Livet. Every now and then I'll change the pace with a bottle of Pinch. Blended I know, but very nice nonetheless.

My one remaining virtue? I avoid good Cubans at all costs. :)

iampaddy

Aug 9, 2010
Surrey, England & Côte d'Azur
I was once given a bottle of Glenmorangie 1963 Single Malt by a client, now worth god knows $2500 ish, when celebrating very special occasions I sneak a quick drop and it is just heaven. However, in the real world the Glenmorangie 25 is stunning and thoroughly deserved its award in 2008 or 9, but my real love is Islay Single Malts like Ardbeg, Laphroaig and Bunnahahbhain.

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
I like Caol Ila 12 ans(43%) the best.
Followed by Ardbeg 10 ans(43%) and Lagavulin 12 ans(58%) so the lagavulin is seriously strong...

I do taste others... but these are my all time favvy's!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I like Caol Ila 12 ans(43%) the best.
Followed by Ardbeg 10 ans(43%) and Lagavulin 12 ans(58%) so the lagavulin is seriously strong...

I do taste others... but these are my all time favvy's!

Have you tried the Ardberg Supernova? Or the Lagavulin 16-Year? I have both plus the Lagavulin 12-year and the Distiller's Edition. I would love to get the 21-year...but too expensive!!! The Supernova is stunning...i recommended it to a guy who worked at the local fine wine/spirits store...when i saw him a few weeks later, he said he and a friend nearly finished the bottle in a very long nite, and it was definitely gone the next weekend. He was the store's whisky aficionado and still talks about it to this day. My bottle too is long gone. ;)

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Here is the list that Jack201 asked for in another thread. Just one man's opinion:

My ranking. (Y) means i own them and know them well. Some notes though not good ones frankly. The rankings means that anything with a '0' is the top of the list and all those are ranked relatively equally, and the next category follows. Since there are 4 whiskys in the top category, the next category starts at 5. You get the basic idea.

0. Glenfiddich '77, smooooth, rich, stunningly smooth actually
0. Springbank 35-year; smoky, the ultimate of Springbank non-sweet imho
0. Springbank 21-year (Y) smoky, sweet, smoooth, the ultimate of Springbank sweet imho...this is the recent global release of only 1500 bottles. i got 2 and am keeping one. locally, they have already doubled in price to the original release price in Jan. Nuts, frankly.
0. Macallan 30-year, smoooooth, clean...one of the most memorable and favored clean, smooth non-smoky whiskys of all time imho

5. Springbank 18 (Y), smoky, smooth, for what i paid a stunning achievement, and its doubled in price in the last 3 yrs since selling out.
5. St. Magdalene 26-year (Y), honey, pure honey
5. Ardberg Supernova '10 (Y), smoke!!!, but so tasty, so good you could drink the smoke for a looong time.
8. Ardberg '78, smoke, 'rougher'
8. Sazerac Rye 18-year Old (Y), smooth Bourbon, very smooth, very refined and a memorably caramely flavor
10. Glenrothes 1985 (Y) rich, syrup
10. Lagavulin 16 (Y) great value, smoke and one of my fav whiskys. period.
10. Macallan 18 year (Y), great value
10. Laphroig 18 Year (Y), smoke,
--------------
13. Glenmorangie 18 (Y),
13. Invergordon Berry Bros 1971 (Y)
13. Laphroig 10 year (Y), smoke
16. Highland Park 18 (Y), med rich,
--------------
17. Craggenmore 12-year (Y), light, smooth
18. Ardberg 1991, smoke
19. Glenlivit Nadurra 16 yrs, sweet
19. Lagavulin Distillers Edition (Y),
19. Yoichi 10-Year,
22. Lagavulin 12year (Y), light smoke
--------------
23. Glenmorangie Cellar 13, sweet, smooth
24. Glenmorangie Signet, sweet smooth
25. Bowmore 18-year, Bruiccladdich 18

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Benriach 20 years silky and sweet :) The 12 is good too if rough around the edges. You'd think the 16 was somewhere in between. I don't know if the 16 I got was from a bad batch, but what I tasted was like sucking on peet. Yech.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
I have fond memories of some Glenmorangie's .... But for the daily, ordinary stuff I haven't come across a better balance, for me, than Glen Ord, 12 yr old. Absolutely no nasties, as far away from Glenfiddoch as you can get; each glass is better than the one before.

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing