Reviews of the TAD Compact Reference 1

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Stereophile, John Atkinson, Dec 2011
Link
PDF

"All loudspeakers editorialize. It is an inevitable result of the design principle. Use of appropriate technology can reduce that editorial influence, but what is really required is a talented designer who can make use of that technology to balance the departures from absolute accuracy so that the music is as little disturbed as possible. That is the case with the TAD Compact Reference CR1. It lacks the very lowest octave and is balanced a tad forward, but in all other respects it represents the state of the art of loudspeaker design and sound. Yes, at $40,600/pair with its essential stands it is extremely expensive, but that goes with the territory. Doesn't it? TAD's Compact Reference is hardly compact, but it is a reference. Oh my!"

Hifi Plus Issue 92, Alan Sircom, October 2012

"This is actually one of the hardest loudspeakers to describe in sonic terms, because you end up thinking about things in terms of what other loudspeakers do wrong. When it comes to describing what this does right, it pretty much does all of it right. There isn't a genre that falls down through the CR1 s - if the idea of playingsome dirty dubstep through these loudspeakers appeals, it will sound fantastic through these loudspeakers. If instead, your jollies are more cerebral and you dream of reanimating Miles Davis in your listening room,the CR1s get damn close to perfection in the current loudspeaker market. I firmly believe that the best stand mount loudspeakers the world has ever seen are gracing the stores right now. But even in such lauded company, the TAD CR1 still has the power to wow. Ultimately, it's hard to pick a winner in the 'cost no object' stand mount loudspeaker race, because different loudspeakers will appeal to different listeners. But I can't help feeling that the CR1 will end up appealing to more of those listeners than its rivals, simply because it sounds so very, very right."

The Absolute Sound, Neil Gader, Sept 2010
PDF
PDF link 2

"Products come and go in a heartbeat in this industry and are just quickly forgotten after the sparkle of editorial fireworks and dies away. That will not be the fate of TAD CR-1.(…) Like I said in this year’s Golden Ear Awards there’s just flat out more honest music coming from the TAD CR-1 than any standmount speaker I´ve ever heard. I can´t remember the last time I´ve used this expression STATE OF THE ART. There I just did."

The Absolute Sound, Neil Gader, Feb 2010
Link

"After bolting them down to their stands and taking a few moments to position, it took all of about three minutes or so of listening to realize that the TAD maybe the greatest stand-mounted speaker I’ve ever encountered if not one of the best speakers period. It combines the warmth, weight, majesty, and soundstage of a floorstander with the image focus and precision of a small compact. There's a harmonic complexity and a naturalistic bloom and a musical rightness that simply hits you between the eyes. There’s a calm to this speaker and though it can be physically forceful –virtually pinning you to your seat with impact– it never sounds “hi-fi” or forced, etched or edgy."

Hifi-Unlimited, OdioSleuth, Feb 2012
Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Last edited:

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Joost,

Thanks for the quotes. I totally agree and glad you picked the CR-1's over the other speakers. I am totally happy with mine. My room can not support big or floor-standing speakers. The CR-1's are stunningly perfect for me and my room. I have arrived. They are so detailed yet smooth. Other speakers I've heard that had detail were totally fatiguing to me. NOT the TADs. They are amazing.

Joe

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Wow...i have heard very good things about the TAD REf 1...the bigger floorstanders. Somewhere there is a shoot-out at an audio show (in Germany?) between the Wilson Alexandria, TAD Ref One, Thiel 7, SF Strad, and 1-2 others. I thought the consensus in the article plus several threads at the time concluded the Wilson Alexandria was 1, and the TAD Ref One was 2...and substantially lower price...and people were generally amazed by it. Would love to hear the TAD speakers.

Has anyone heard their electronics which i saw on the current cover this weekend, has just been released by TAD?

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Llyoyd,
TAD Ref 1 and electronics will arrive to Istanbul later this month to a dealer and I will have the chance to audition the famed speaker. I will give you a detailed comparison versus SF Strads (which I own), SF Aida and Magico Q5.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Llyoyd,
TAD Ref 1 and electronics will arrive to Istanbul later this month to a dealer and I will have the chance to audition the famed speaker. I will give you a detailed comparison versus SF Strads (which I own), SF Aida and Magico Q5.

Wow!!!!! That is great news! I look foward to hearing your impressions of these speakers compared to SF Strads which, as you may recall, i also know very well having owned them for years.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Emre,

Great news. I would love the hear the TAD electronics but there are few dealers in the USA that carry the speakers as well as the electronics. The dealers can choose either the speakers, electronics or the Evolution series (less expensive) line of TAD speakers.

Joe

dafos

Sep 17, 2010
Llyoyd,

This comparison can't come soon enough!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Llyoyd,

Emre, were you able to compare the R1 vs the Strads/Aida/Q5? Would be interesting to hear your perspective.

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Dealer has just received TAD Reference 1, TAD CR1 and TAD Evolution 1. Monday night I have visited and only TAD reference 1 was connected to a MBL 7000 series integrated and cd player setup. My initial impression is very very positive despite the components. A very detailed but coherent sound in all the frequency range, spatial localisation of intrsuments is absouletly wonderfull. only comment so far was to get better staging and bass integration with very very little toe-in is needed.

They will be setting a side by side comparison with SF Aida together with Soulution 720 pre &710 power, AR Ref5 and Ref250 and TAD pre and monoblocks for early next week audition.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
That should be one hell of an interesting audition. Very interested to hear how the R1 compares to the Aida and how the TAD electronics compare with the Soulution and AR.

RE toe-in, TAD recommends the speakers pointed directly to the listening position.

r1..jpg

TAD R1 owners manual

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Re toe-in ; initial setup was like the recommendations but somehow bass and spatial information was not right. than we have changed to a slighty toe-in and all the pieces were locked in. Anyhow I will be auditioning more deeply and let you know on toe-in preferences as well.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Re toe-in ; initial setup was like the recommendations but somehow bass and spatial information was not right. than we have changed to a slighty toe-in and all the pieces were locked in. Anyhow I will be auditioning more deeply and let you know on toe-in preferences as well.

You mean you opened up the angle slightly? So that the line of the speakers were crossing slightly behind the listening position?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Dealer has just received TAD Reference 1, TAD CR1 and TAD Evolution 1. Monday night I have visited and only TAD reference 1 was connected to a MBL 7000 series integrated and cd player setup. My initial impression is very very positive despite the components. A very detailed but coherent sound in all the frequency range, spatial localisation of intrsuments is absouletly wonderfull. only comment so far was to get better staging and bass integration with very very little toe-in is needed.

They will be setting a side by side comparison with SF Aida together with Soulution 720 pre &710 power, AR Ref5 and Ref250 and TAD pre and monoblocks for early next week audition.

Wow! Enjoy! Look forward to reading all about this one!

Emre Üçöz

Aug 1, 2011
Istanbul
Last Saturday I listened to the TAD Ref1 with TAD M600 monos and TAD C200 with Metronome Kalista SE. It is really hard to explain how correct was the system & the music, be it classic masterpieces to Buika to Dire Stairs. It was an all in all holistic sound which really embraces you. and you start to stomp your feet and lost yourself into the realm of music.

Tonight I will do the comparison with Soulution pre power combo with TAD Ref1 and than will connect TAD CR1.

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY
Hi Emre Üçöz,

I am glad you liked the speakers. Please let us know when you hear the CR-1's and how they sound. They are special as well. For smaller speakers they sound very big, clear, and wide open.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Last Saturday I listened to the TAD Ref1 with TAD M600 monos and TAD C200 with Metronome Kalista SE. It is really hard to explain how correct was the system & the music, be it classic masterpieces to Buika to Dire Stairs. It was an all in all holistic sound which really embraces you. and you start to stomp your feet and lost yourself into the realm of music.

Tonight I will do the comparison with Soulution pre power combo with TAD Ref1 and than will connect TAD CR1.
great! look forward to reading more!

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
The question is what is so special about TAD speakers? At $40k for a small speaker it better be good. A cocnentric midrange and tweeter does not bode well. Luckily i really knew nothjng about the speaker.Both the little brother and big brother were at RMAF. it was sounding good but I probably would have passed it by.
I wanted to hear the Walker turntable with Supreme cartridge. Loyd was using the Tad speakers with Technical brains electronis. He put on Hugh Masekelas Coal Train. I was blown away. No doubt a system in this price range should be impressive. But so many are not.

No doubt the speaker measures well. Again many others do. No exotic material or revolutionary breakthroughs.
One of the best I ever heard. What's the deal?

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
A cocnentric midrange and tweeter does not bode well.

Care to elaborate?

I wanted to hear the Walker turntable with Supreme cartridge. Loyd was using the Tad speakers with Technical brains electronis. He put on Hugh Masekelas Coal Train. I was blown away. No doubt a system in this price range should be impressive. But so many are not.

I was not there, but from the various THE show reports I have read the rooms with the CR1's got almost universal praise, however for this particular room I have read some mixed reviews. Strange as the Technical brain amps are regarded by many as the absolute best amps available and apparently the TB designer had a hand in designing TAD electronics and specifically the M600 mono blocks, I would have expected this to be on par with TAD's own room.

No exotic material or revolutionary breakthroughs.

Are you not at least a little bit impressed with the technology that has gone into the pure beryllium concentric CST drive unit? ;)

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
The beryllium driver is exotic and a technological tour-de-force, and the concentric nature of the midrange/tweeter unit is also a large part of the excellent sound quality. I'm a little baffled by gregadd's comments as well? Although the concentric midrange/tweeter isn't exactly a revolutionary breakthrough, it's time honored and effective, and the tweeter itself is both exotic and revolutionary.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing