Computational Fluid Dynamics software packages for room modal behavior modelling

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Does anyone here use computational fluid dynamics software packages to model modal behavior of listening rooms? I am looking for a good, easy to use package that has standard modules for sound radiators that I can drop in a meshed 3D model of my listening room, apply material properties to floors, walls, and then run simulations.

I would like to determine the optimal location of subwoofers in my listening room and generate simulations such as the following (taken from here):

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
The problem is not identifying CFD programs. They are commercially available although not cheap at all. I think the software Keith uses has a license fee north of $50,000. It also requires a skilled operator to program the design into it or it won't "converge." That is a term we use when a numerical solution of a physical simulation cannot generate a final answer. In this case, Keith uses a PhD researcher to make it work.

The bigger issue is that CFD is just going to tell you the pressure in the room. Those graphs you see and the analysis of what is "good sound" relative to countless other iterations is piece of proprietary software that Keith has integrated with the commercial CFD software.

Currently the solution exists as a service through Kieth Yates. It is rather expensive (around $10,000). Keith hopes to get the price down at some point but that is where it is at today.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
The problem is not identifying CFD programs. They are commercially available although not cheap at all. I think the software Keith uses has a license fee north of $50,000. It also requires a skilled operator to program the design into it or it won't "converge." That is a term we use when a numerical solution of a physical simulation cannot generate a final answer. In this case, Keith uses a PhD researcher to make it work.

The bigger issue is that CFD is just going to tell you the pressure in the room. Those graphs you see and the analysis of what is "good sound" relative to countless other iterations is piece of proprietary software that Keith has integrated with the commercial CFD software.

Currently the solution exists as a service through Kieth Yates. It is rather expensive (around $10,000). Keith hopes to get the price down at some point but that is where it is at today.

I am hoping something like the open source OpenFoam CFD software is sufficient.

I have alot of experience in 3D modelling and simulation so I hope to be able to get a usable result. Absolute SPL values are not important, I simply would like to simulate how different sub positions excite different room modes and then through a manual iteration (based on common rules of sub placement) find locations that result in minimal modal excitement at the listening position.

Ultimately I would like to develop an online tool (something like the hunecker.de tool) to help determine optimal locations based on the inputted room dimensions.

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Just came across it through a google search. I have been using the Room Eigenmodes tool a lot, I find this to be the best way to visualize problematic room modes. My room measurements match up very well with the axial modes displayed in the tool. This really helps to understand your room and to give 'usable' indications of subwoofer positioning (i.e. in the modes, anti-modes, in between, etc).

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Just came across it through a google search. I have been using the Room Eigenmodes tool a lot, I find this to be the best way to visualize problematic room modes. My room measurements match up very well with the axial modes displayed in the tool. This really helps to understand your room and to give 'usable' indications of subwoofer positioning (i.e. in the modes, anti-modes, in between, etc).

microstrip from Portugal has posted that link here as well. Thanks also

Nyal Mellor

Industry Expert
Jul 14, 2010
SF Bay Area, CA, USA

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
Exactly what does one do with this software? Make a collection of observations and then fit the data to a model (or is it Navier–Stokes equations?) and then use numerical methods to obtain a solution. If the goal is modelling and simulation, do you build a model and then simulate answers to what if questions?

Sorry for the naivety.

Mike

kevinh

Mar 30, 2012
Sussex cty NJ
Exactly what does one do with this software? Make a collection of observations and then fit the data to a model (or is it Navier–Stokes equations?) and then use numerical methods to obtain a solution. If the goal is modelling and simulation, do you build a model and then simulate answers to what if questions?

Sorry for the naivety.

Mike

The software would allow one to determine (at least) how many and where to place SW speakers and room treatements to
achieve design goals prior to purchasing eq, installing anything, and going on site to measure th room and then make
adjustments. This would involve doing 'what if' simulations. It can (if used properly) deal with irregular rooms that would be difficult to deal
with using trial and error.

It maximizes what one can do without using electronic room correction. Making the job of any ERC much easier.

Mike

VIP/Donor
Jan 28, 2012
Madison, New Jersey
The software would allow one to determine (at least) how many and where to place SW speakers and room treatements to
achieve design goals prior to purchasing eq, installing anything, and going on site to measure th room and then make
adjustments. This would involve doing 'what if' simulations. It can (if used properly) deal with irregular rooms that would be difficult to deal
with using trial and error.

It maximizes what one can do without using electronic room correction. Making the job of any ERC much easier.

Thanks, kevinh.

It seems to me that optiimizing speaker positions and treatments' positions is like estimating unknown model parameters (like using maximum likelihood in non-linear regression). I wonder what the theory is behind this software.

Mike

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Here is an article at wiki giving some background:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Computational_fluid_dynamics
The link brings back fond memories. In the 1980s I was working for a "minisupercomputer" company. I took a job to get super computing apps ported to it. Next thing I know, I am getting every numerical application you can imagine, from fluid dynamics to finite element and megnetic flow. I could not even spell these things let alone figure out why our computer was spitting out code that would not run. And when they did run, there would be a massive files full of wrong results. It was a lot of fun getting things working without understanding what they did or how they really worked! Towards the end though, I learned my way around and got familiar with terms like Navier Stokes and Euler equations. Fun days those were....

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing