Anyone familiar with TW Acustic or Basis, or compare the two?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Both of these have been getting great press the last few years. Please share your impressions.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Only heard these two tables at a friends or at a show. However, the impression I got was that they are both excellent front ends and one would be hard pressed to decide between the two.
My friend owns a Basis, which when mated with his BAT gear and Quad speakers provides a very warm and pleasant reproduction, particularly in its ability to portray that 'black' background.
Very impressive in this regard. When I have heard the TW's at shows, I felt the same way and noted also that their reproduction of depth was first class ( seemingly better than the Basis). This was probably room dependant, and I wouldn't want to say that the Basis in the same set-up would be in any way inferior. A tough call as to which I would opt for if given a choice. No wrong answers here.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I compared Basis and Raven maybe a dozen times. Technically and sonically the Basis is a totally different league. The advantage (the only one) for the Raven is the ability to use more and longer tonearms. But it doesn't perform better with 4 Arms :).
The Basis has not the colored Fingerprint that you have with the TW, no matter what you play. The suspension is a main advantage, you can hear it immediately when your Electronics is up to the task. Wow and flutter is a serious weakness for the Raven, it accelerates sonically everything, even Chamber music.
Don't get me wrong, I don't care for either, but there are indeed huge differences.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
I compared Basis and Raven maybe a dozen times. Technically and sonically the Basis is a totally different league. The advantage (the only one) for the Raven is the ability to use more and longer tonearms. But it doesn't perform better with 4 Arms :).
The Basis has not the colored Fingerprint that you have with the TW, no matter what you play. The suspension is a main advantage, you can hear it immediately when your Electronics is up to the task. Wow and flutter is a serious weakness for the Raven, it accelerates sonically everything, even Chamber music.
Don't get me wrong, I don't care for either, but there are indeed huge differences.

Syntax,
I am very interested in your comment, but a little upset by the part I highlighted. Do you think that the TW sounds light and/or fast? Because I can not imagine wow and flutter would be an issue with such turntables!

andi

Apr 9, 2012
Germany
Microstrip,

unfortunately I had not the chance to compare TW and Basis, so I can not comment the findings Syntax had made.

But if I would live in Portugal, I would put Ruis Borges to the short list.

Andreas

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
With tw acoustic : all models .
Andromeda audio gives TW a " Buy"
Why dont you contemplate A SME 20 /3A , new/old design and arm included

(basis yes at a dealer set up, one of the top models with vacuum hold down , but it is not engraved in my memory somehow)

Below one of the best analogue demos i heard (held in a restaurant/ cafe ), most analogue demos overhere are very poor ( they must hate me for saying that :D)

The system was magico V3 , tw acoustic raven ac , with da vinci arm /koetsu coralstone , zanden 1200, zanden 3000, zanden 9600 and some very expensive/mysterious tubes with copper

no wow and flutter there , we compared some equal lp s with cds on the zanden digital , a lot of fun ;)

Last edited:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Both of these have been getting great press the last few years. Please share your impressions.

TW, there are several table models and all different. Which one are you specifically refering too.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Syntax,
I am very interested in your comment, but a little upset by the part I highlighted. Do you think that the TW sounds light and/or fast? Because I can not imagine wow and flutter would be an issue with such turntables!

I'm also very interested in your comment, which TW model are you making reference too because there are numerous tables.

zermatt

Oct 5, 2010
wash dc
I have experience with both mfg's. I was a owner of a Basis Gold Std, I was using a MDC 1200 aka "The arm". This was my rig in 90's up 2008. I sold it because it was more analytical then I liked. It did every thing well, but the warmth or sole of the music was missing. My old Jadis CD rig was more enticing so I sold the basis in 2208. In 2009 I picked up a TW AC3, I am using a Graham Phan II. Over all, the TW blows away the Basis in resolution and at the same keeping you in that state of enjoyment. Yes the TW AC3 is colored but it allows one to enjoy older records to the max. In my current system, I need warm sounding components.

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I'm also very interested in your comment, which TW model are you making reference too because there are numerous tables.

Well, in short:
Explanations make no sense for me, I know too well, that owners of special products are completely immune to any kind of understanding. So I made a decision 2 years ago not to waste any time with owners of
- Air Tight Cartridges
- Burmester
- Koetsu
- Linn LP12
- Schroeder Arms
and TW products.
It's simply not worth it. For me. I want Performance. Design done right.
Educate yourself, read the technical description from Basis, what they are good for, try to connect this "knowledge" and you have your answers. You will find enough who will praise the products above. And good press. There is a owner for everything.
This is a forum to write positive about everything. :)

caesar

May 30, 2010
TW, there are several table models and all different. Which one are you specifically refering too.

I would assume the design philosophy would translate into a similar sonic signature across the product lines for each brand. CJ;s sound like CJ's and Brystons sound like Brystons. But I could be wrong.

As a matter of curiosity, let's talk about the top of the line products for each company.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Well, in short:
Explanations make no sense for me, I know too well, that owners of special products are completely immune to any kind of understanding. So I made a decision 2 years ago not to waste any time with owners of
- Air Tight Cartridges
- Burmester
- Koetsu
- Linn LP12
- Schroeder Arms
and TW products.
It's simply not worth it. For me. I want Performance. Design done right.
Educate yourself, read the technical description from Basis, what they are good for, try to connect this "knowledge" and you have your answers. You will find enough who will praise the products above. And good press. There is a owner for everything.
This is a forum to write positive about everything. :)

Okay I gotta respond to this and this is just a friendly debate and nothing else :)

#1 This type of responce seems very odd and comes across being very non-constructive, why post any negative remarks about anything if you can't back it up with a discussion.

#2 You say "educate yourself" How is one to do this if the tools "information" is not provided, just because you say what ever does not mean it's set in stone and that anyone else will agree.

You do this on Audigon allot specifically in relation to TW Acustic product which is already very old and boring and should be left there because this forumn is not suppose to be like that.

#3 Specifically in relation to TW product, have you had every table in your system to provide any responce at all? What tables specifically have you had?

#4 You made a bold statement saying "Wow and flutter is a serious weakness for the Raven, it accelerates sonically everything, even Chamber music." kindly enlighten us because this statement is actually very laughable ;)

#4 You say "It's simply not worth it. For me. I want Performance. Design done right."
Please enlighten us because you use a Micro Seiki 5000 table correct? Same as I have ;) Are you trying to suggest the design was done right?

If so why is yours and mine far from being stock and highly modifed? :b

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I would assume the design philosophy would translate into a similar sonic signature across the product lines for each brand.

I would not assume because they are in actual fact mostly designed differently, different material, different bearing etc. Why do I know this, well from actual ownership so I have first hand exsposure of owning three of the tables, Raven One, Raven AC3 and now top of their line Raven Black Knight. The platters alone are totally different material.

I also own the same Micro Seiki 5000 table as Syntax which is far from being in stock form, highly modified because in stock form has numerous issues, we basically have the same table but I upgraded my gun metal platter to a Stainless Steel platter :D, actually still have that also.

I'm always open to learning but actually owning sure assists ;)

Blam!

Apr 8, 2012
Germany
Dear Thomas/syntax,

I'd like to know what you think about solong's setup, who uses a modified TW Raven AC. If I remember correctly solong has bought your former Brakemeier Prometheus speakers and you should know his setup very well.

Some times ago I listened to your former Basis turtable with a Graham Phantom tonearm and a Lyra Delos / Grado Statement at Marc's home (Hovland, Pass, Avalon), which was very fine, but I would not exchange his (your former) turntable against my Raven AC. Btw, I can assure that my Raven AC does not accelerate sonically everything and that my Gryphon electronic and Gryphon speakers are able to proove that. ;)

As DEV already stated when reading at A'gon and other forums it looks like you and Dietrich have some personal ressentiments against TW. I'd like to hear what has led you both into this virtual war...

Regards
Blam!

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Another nod for Basis - my next turntable if I ever grow tired of my VPI; fanatical build quality and sound to match

_Tom_

Apr 22, 2012
Germany / near Koblenz
Hallo friends,

syntax has a problem with TW, this seems obviously. Everybody who is sometimes in A'gon or in other Forums were Syntax is/was writing can see that and also can this estimate.

The most I like from syntax therefore are his great pics, but realy not his estimate of TWs turntables.

I also own an TW Raven AC and like him very much.

It gives probably improves in turntables, one is for example the TW Black Night, but I never listend so satisfied with a turntable since the day I own my AC.
There is much which I to still change would like, about the turntable does not think I. He is final for me.

best regards

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Yes, most definitely....welcome to the forum _TOM_. You too, Blam from all the way across the big pond in North Carolina! Glad to see you here.

Tom

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
AC-3 user here. Speed issues? "Speeds everything up"? Hogwash.

Strobes don't lie.

Can't say my electronics aren't up to the task either. We have the same stuff. Except my LP-2D has the 1:32 step up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing