Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anyone familiar with TW Acustic or Basis, or compare the two?

Anyone familiar with TW Acustic or Basis, or compare the two?

Both of these have been getting great press the last few years. Please share your impressions.

Only heard these two tables at a friends or at a show. However, the impression I got was that they are both excellent front ends and one would be hard pressed to decide between the two.
    My friend owns a Basis, which when mated with his BAT gear and Quad speakers provides a very warm and pleasant reproduction, particularly in its ability to portray that 'black' background.
    Very impressive in this regard. When I have heard the TW's at shows, I felt the same way and noted also that their reproduction of depth was first class ( seemingly better than the Basis). This was probably room dependant, and I wouldn't want to say that the Basis in the same set-up would be in any way inferior. A tough call as to which I would opt for if given a choice. No wrong answers here.

I compared Basis and Raven maybe a dozen times. Technically and sonically the Basis is a totally different league. The advantage (the only one) for the Raven is the ability to use more and longer tonearms. But it doesn't perform better with 4 Arms .
    The Basis has not the colored Fingerprint that you have with the TW, no matter what you play. The suspension is a main advantage, you can hear it immediately when your Electronics is up to the task. Wow and flutter is a serious weakness for the Raven, it accelerates sonically everything, even Chamber music.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't care for either, but there are indeed huge differences.
    Kind Regards

🎶 This is a cryogenically treated Signature 🎶

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] microstrip's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Syntax View Post
    I compared Basis and Raven maybe a dozen times. Technically and sonically the Basis is a totally different league. The advantage (the only one) for the Raven is the ability to use more and longer tonearms. But it doesn't perform better with 4 Arms .
    The Basis has not the colored Fingerprint that you have with the TW, no matter what you play. The suspension is a main advantage, you can hear it immediately when your Electronics is up to the task. Wow and flutter is a serious weakness for the Raven, it accelerates sonically everything, even Chamber music.
    Don't get me wrong, I don't care for either, but there are indeed huge differences.
    Syntax,
    I am very interested in your comment, but a little upset by the part I highlighted. Do you think that the TW sounds light and/or fast? Because I can not imagine wow and flutter would be an issue with such turntables!

Microstrip,

unfortunately I had not the chance to compare TW and Basis, so I can not comment the findings Syntax had made.

But if I would live in Portugal, I would put Ruis Borges to the short list.

Andreas

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    With tw acoustic : all models .
    Andromeda audio gives TW a " Buy"
    Why dont you contemplate A SME 20 /3A , new/old design and arm included

(basis yes at a dealer set up, one of the top models with vacuum hold down , but it is not engraved in my memory somehow)

Below one of the best analogue demos i heard (held in a restaurant/ cafe ), most analogue demos overhere are very poor ( they must hate me for saying that )

The system was magico V3 , tw acoustic raven ac , with da vinci arm /koetsu coralstone , zanden 1200, zanden 3000, zanden 9600 and some very expensive/mysterious tubes with copper

no wow and flutter there , we compared some equal lp s with cds on the zanden digital , a lot of fun
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 04-14-2012 at 09:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by caesar View Post
    Both of these have been getting great press the last few years. Please share your impressions.
    TW, there are several table models and all different. Which one are you specifically refering too.

Quote Originally Posted by microstrip View Post
    Syntax,
    I am very interested in your comment, but a little upset by the part I highlighted. Do you think that the TW sounds light and/or fast? Because I can not imagine wow and flutter would be an issue with such turntables!
    I'm also very interested in your comment, which TW model are you making reference too because there are numerous tables.

I have experience with both mfg's. I was a owner of a Basis Gold Std, I was using a MDC 1200 aka "The arm". This was my rig in 90's up 2008. I sold it because it was more analytical then I liked. It did every thing well, but the warmth or sole of the music was missing. My old Jadis CD rig was more enticing so I sold the basis in 2208. In 2009 I picked up a TW AC3, I am using a Graham Phan II. Over all, the TW blows away the Basis in resolution and at the same keeping you in that state of enjoyment. Yes the TW AC3 is colored but it allows one to enjoy older records to the max. In my current system, I need warm sounding components.

Quote Originally Posted by DEV View Post
    I'm also very interested in your comment, which TW model are you making reference too because there are numerous tables.
    Well, in short:
    Explanations make no sense for me, I know too well, that owners of special products are completely immune to any kind of understanding. So I made a decision 2 years ago not to waste any time with owners of
    - Air Tight Cartridges
    - Burmester
    - Koetsu
    - Linn LP12
    - Schroeder Arms
    and TW products.
    It's simply not worth it. For me. I want Performance. Design done right.
    Educate yourself, read the technical description from Basis, what they are good for, try to connect this "knowledge" and you have your answers. You will find enough who will praise the products above. And good press. There is a owner for everything.
    This is a forum to write positive about everything.
    Kind Regards

🎶 This is a cryogenically treated Signature 🎶

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast