I bought a 2lb Brisket! Now what?

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I've never bought Brisket before and I don't have a BBQ as I live in an apartment and the Fire Code regulations prohibit me from using one. So its either the Stovetop method or the Oven.

I have had it marinating in Worcestershire sauce and garlic since yesterday afternoon, and I'm thinking I could just cook this on the stovetop, like I do with Flank Steak. "Flank" steak may be called something different in the U.S. or so I've heard.

Anyway, I'd love to get some suggestions as to how to cook this slab of meat. ;)

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi John,

I'd brown it on the stove top then stick it in the oven covered at 150 get it out when internal temp is about 125 and rest it for 15 to 20 mins. Not sure how long cooking time might be so a probe would be handy. Id put some onions and peppers between the meat and the roasting pan to avoid direct contact with it. The veggies will also add some aroma and moisture.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hi John,

I'd brown it on the stove top then stick it in the oven covered at 150 get it out when internal temp is about 125 and rest it for 15 to 20 mins. Not sure how long cooking time might be so a probe would be handy. Id put some onions and peppers between the meat and the roasting pan to avoid direct contact with it. The veggies will also add some aroma and moisture.

I always cook my chicken on a bed of veggies, so your suggestion is a good one and I imagine it would work with the brisket as well. I have onions, but will need to get some peppers from across the road...no biggie! Perhaps a nice Peppercorn sauce to go with it and some roasted mini-potatoes. HMMM!!!

Thanks Jack!

BTW: I've never done steak in the oven before, so this will be a good exercise for me. :)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Yep, would agree with Jack's suggestion. Brisket is a tough cut of meat, so it benefits from a prolonged cooking time at low temperature. I would guess that at 150F the meat should be ready in about 2-3 hours - but make sure you monitor the temperature. Don't worry about moisture loss, the gelatin in the meat will keep it moist.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I'm going to try the oven method as suggested by Jack and confirmed by Keith. I'll sear it for about a minute or so on both sides to seal in the juices and then place it on top of the onions and peppers (mushrooms too or should I do them seperately?)

a can of beer over the brisket and into the cooking pan before cooking helps to soften the meat

Steve - Should I take out the steak now (it'll be a few hours before I cook it) and pour a beer over it? Also, do I discard or keep the liquid? I'd place it back in the fridge of course and only take it out about a half-hour before cooking.

Yum! Brisket, my favorite cut of meat. Besides the suggestions above, my favorite recipe for brisket is here:
http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?2017-Best-Beef-Bourguinon

I like all the flavorful, tough cuts. Flank steak is another favorite of mine. My daughter's a carnivore because of my beef recipes.

I'm with ya on the Flank Steak Gary! I usually just pan-fry it and slice it thinly on the bias to about a medium-rare (or slightly less). Leftovers are great for a hearty salad the next day!.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I do the same with oven roasts - just reconfirming Jack's and Keith's suggestion. Place veggies on the bottom of a large Dutch oven, place the browned brisket on the veggies (your idea of marinading over night in Worchestershire sauce and garlic is great), pour a can of beer over, cover and stick it in the oven at 300 deg F (150 deg C). I like some aromatics in the veggies - including fennel, bay leaf, even chicory.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Sounds like a plan to me. I have some Fennel Seed and Bay Leaf as well, but no Chicory. I'll take it out, let it come to room temperature and cook as suggested. I'll check it after 2 hours and see if it needs more time. Wish me luck as I've never done steak in the oven before.:eek:

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Good luck!

Not Fennel seed (too strong) but fennel bulb. And 150C not 150F. I figured that you're Canadian so would understand metric.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Good luck!

Not Fennel seed (too strong) but fennel bulb. And 150C not 150F. I figured that you're Canadian so would understand metric.

Oh ok...I'll have to run out and get some then. And yeah..I figured 150C

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
FYI the objective of searing is not to seal in the juices. The objective is to develop flavours via the Maillard reaction. Don't worry about overcooking the meat, because your slow roast is going to overcook it anyway. If I were you, I would try to get the most awesome browning of the surface without actually burning it :)

Andre Marc

Member Sponsor
Mar 14, 2012
San Diego
www.avrev.com
slow cooker

I cook brisket about once a month. I use a slow cooker. Never fails. Takes about 4 to 5 hours.

I change the flavoring on a whim..garlic, onion, tomato, korean bbq sauce, etc.

When it is done, the meat is like butter... I usually serve with rice or bread.

I've never bought Brisket before and I don't have a BBQ as I live in an apartment and the Fire Code regulations prohibit me from using one. So its either the Stovetop method or the Oven.

I have had it marinating in Worcestershire sauce and garlic since yesterday afternoon, and I'm thinking I could just cook this on the stovetop, like I do with Flank Steak. "Flank" steak may be called something different in the U.S. or so I've heard.

Anyway, I'd love to get some suggestions as to how to cook this slab of meat. ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
FYI the objective of searing is not to seal in the juices. The objective is to develop flavours via the Maillard reaction. Don't worry about overcooking the meat, because your slow roast is going to overcook it anyway. If I were you, I would try to get the most awesome browning of the surface without actually burning it :)

Ok..I stand corrected. I always thought searing was meant to seal in the juices, and I have absolutely no idea what the Maillard reaction is!:confused: :eek::eek:

The browning part I can do easily, so I'll definitely follow that tip. Thanks Keith!

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I cook brisket about once a month. I use a slow cooker. Never fails. Takes about 4 to 5 hours.

I change the flavoring on a whim..garlic, onion, tomato, korean bbq sauce, etc.

When it is done, the meat is like butter... I usually serve with rice or bread.

Hi Andre - I like that suggestion as well, and it gives me another reason to take out the slow cooker, which I don't use often enough.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA

Yes, absolutely. The searing is to add taste. I think that "sealing in the juices" is a kitchen myth. Besides a very hot cast iron pan, I also use a blow torch :)

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Ok..I stand corrected. I always thought searing was meant to seal in the juices, and I have absolutely no idea what the Maillard reaction is!:confused: :eek::eek:

You are welcome :) For the Maillard reaction, take a look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maillard_reaction

Once I understood what Maillard reactions were, and learnt the conditions that favour the reactions, it changed the way I cooked. I am now always looking for ways to boost Maillard reactions whilst still cooking food to the target temperature.

Yes, absolutely. The searing is to add taste. I think that "sealing in the juices" is a kitchen myth. Besides a very hot cast iron pan, I also use a blow torch :)

Sounds like you have been watching too much Heston :) I have two blowtorches - a weaker one for brulee'ing Creme Brulee's, and a more powerful MAPP blowtorch for browning meats ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
It was wonderful, but I regret not taking pics, so I could show you.

I layered the bottom of the roasting pan with onions, fennel (bulb), carrots, red peppers, 3 bay leaves. I then seared off the brisket in a cast-iron skillet brushed ever so lightly with extra light olive oil. It was browned pretty much all over without burning, barring a slight char on the outer rim. I placed it on top of the veggies/aromatics and poured a can of beer over top. I then covered it with aluminum foil and let it cook for 2hrs and 45 minutes at 150C.

It turned out really good and the brisket was really tender. As a side a concocted a melange of mini-potatoes, carrots and onions, seasoned with some Italian herbs/spices and a touch of olive oil. Had it covered for 30 minutes at 375F and then 15 minutes to get a nice colour and crispyness. I was able to get two full meals out of it as well.

Next time I'll try Andre's version in the slow-cooker. Thanks guys!:D

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing