Dma 180s2 with what MIT speaker cable?

Mag

Apr 8, 2012
Hi guys, my setup is red wine Isabella tube pre , spectral dma180s2 , plinius cdp 101 , Von schweikert unified 3 speaker, using asi liveline interconnects and analysis plus sc for tweeter n yter sc for bass module of unifield 3. In audiogon, it has been discussed that u need not use MIT ic if not using spectral pre.

I understand not using MIT sc might cause the spectral power amp to oscillate , eventually burning the output stages. I been using the power amp for a few days with no issue except the rubber feets starting to melt and I hv removed the feets, replacing it symposium roller blocks.

Could u advise if I still need MIT speaker cables and ic? If yes, could a kind soul recommend the model? Budget less than 5 k for 2nd hand MIT speaker cable. Is 850 cvt ok? Oracle model seems not compatible with dma 180s2?

Sorry I'm a newbie so asking loads of qns

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Welcome. Spectral amps have no input chokes either, so you need the MIT interconnects. Terry here from Overture will be able to explain more. You replace the sorbothane feet with the current knurled feet...

Mag

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks bro, so if I'm not using spectral pre at the moment, getting the MIT ic will be safe for moment. Any recommendation?

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks bro, so if I'm not using spectral pre at the moment, getting the MIT ic will be safe for moment. Any recommendation?

Our friend here 1rsw is selling a pair of the ones I use (recent with black jacket) - see http://app.audiogon.com/listings/spectral-mit-mi-350-ulii-1m

No one has been able to convince me I need anything more than this. Otherwise, you can talk to Joe Abrams (Equus Audio) on a'gon and he can direct you...

nirodha

Aug 11, 2010
Our friend here 1rsw is selling a pair of the ones I use (recent with black jacket) - see http://app.audiogon.com/listings/spectral-mit-mi-350-ulii-1m

No one has been able to convince me I need anything more than this. Otherwise, you can talk to Joe Abrams (Equus Audio) on a'gon and he can direct you...

MIT is reasonably straightforward: the more you spend, the more you get. Joe (Abrams) is an excellent and trustworthy consultant/dealer.

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
There's some crazy stuff on Audiogon about Spectral gear...careful what you take to heart. I gave up trying to offer input in most cases there, too many people think they have all the answers and want to see guys frying their amps. Anyway, good comments so far and I'll add that I have had experience with the end results of not using the proper cables with a DMA 180 and the subsequent repair cost. I'd encourage you to use both MIT speaker cables and ic's, strongly...especially with the 180 and any older Spectral amp which are more unstable. I'd also suggest considering a change of preamp. From what I understand, this is pretty important to the safety of your amp but your preamp may also be limiting your amps performance.

Ack thanks for mentioning my cables. I'd also drop that price to 750...the Spectral forum discount:)

Mag

Apr 8, 2012
Thanks bro, most prob getting matrix hd 38 or 60. In bet, any idea how old is dma 180 s2 model

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mag,

Since the rubber feet of your Spectral amp have melted, I suggest you use a fan to cool your Spectral amp.

ack

May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Thanks bro, most prob getting matrix hd 38 or 60. In bet, any idea how old is dma 180 s2 model

My memory is failing me, but I believe about 12-14 years old... Call the factory with the serial number

1rsw

Jul 21, 2010
I don't think it is necessarily a heat issue. Those feet just decompose over time, pretty common occurrence with them. A fan won't hurt the situation but doubt it saves the feet.

I think Ack is dead on with the age, late 90's early 2000's.

Mag

Apr 8, 2012
Well, the truth is due to me , playing punk with the amp. Resulting in burning the legs

I used analysis plus biwire for my tweeters n yter for woofer, all connected to spectral.
It ran unusually hot, I used a thermometer , it went beyond the normal operating temp of 50.
I whack it up for 30 mins n shut it off to cool down . N repeat.

there's a great difference running biwire to tweeters vs single run. Ambience, air n soundstage gain tremendously, I would say by 50% min. I'm trying to burn the output stages.. Haha.now I'm running a normal biwire to both woofer n tweeter. And amp is warm only even after running 30 mins.

I intend to get a low quality MIT low pass n high quality MIT high pass speaker cables, any recommendation

Mag

Apr 8, 2012
I been playing triwire or quad wire these years, my power amps are usually pretty hot. And lots of potential in amps are not milked till experimented

audiosessions

Dec 29, 2010
Chatsworth California
I been playing triwire or quad wire these years, my power amps are usually pretty hot. And lots of potential in amps are not milked till experimented

I second the stabilty issues with the 180 series.
after selling my DMC-20 S1 i was using a EVS pasive Pre, usiing a DAC to drive the amp.
The amp became unstable and started running hot, took out the networks & damaged the pannels in my Audiostatic ES500 SPK's
I then installed a DMC-20 S2 and the amp ran cooler/stable.
The amp sounded better though with the EVS.
As a min Pre, I would look for a DMC-15 or 30SL series
And 350/770 ul S2 or 350/850 REF OR EVO cables.
The 350/850 EVO was the last REF cable to be used with the 180S2.
The only DAC that I know of that can be used to drive the 180 without any issues is the Berkeley

mullard88

Jun 5, 2010
Hi Mag,

Just to share my experience after reading your post #12: MIT speaker cables do not seem to work with other interconnects. In my experience, the sound becomes strident and the highs particularly become painful to listen to. In my experience, MIT speaker cables work best when MIT interconnects are used. However, I get good results when I use MIT interconnects and other speaker cable brands. Since you seem to enjoy biwire, you may want to try any of the MIT biwire speaker cable models, though I strongly recommend you also acquire the matching or better model interconnect. As to exactly which model, buy the most expensive that your conscience will allow you to. In my Spectral system, I have extremely good results using Gotham interconnect between the DMC 30 SS2 and DMA 360 S2 and then using Daniel Hertz speaker cables between the DMA 360 S2 and the Magnepan 1.6QR. If you want to experiment further with your DMA 180 S2, you can change the rca input connectors to Cardas rodium and also rewire the short cable between the input and the board and also from the board to the speaker terminals with MIT hook up cables. Changing the stock power cord to an MIT Oracle AC 2 will also bring positvely amazing results. Have fun but do not blame me if things go wrong. These have worked for me but perhaps I am just lucky even if I am reckless and do not care much about the factory warranty.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing