amplification

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
Hi everybody I am presently using a Dartzeel cht8550 amp with the playback design mps3 and Ascendo system F speakers Audience au24e cabling all around I was contemplating on changing the amp to a pre power of cat jl 2 mk2 and renassance pre can any body help me to decide will it be a move in the right direction in my persuance of better sound or will there be only a marginal change

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
I'm assuming you didn't like the Dartzeel "sound", since you're not considering their pre+power combo?

alexandre

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I dont know , but it ll be interesting to compare them , i ll look forward to your findings .
I dont think you can go wrong with the CAT stuff .
What i am not sure off is the sufficient mc gain in the cat pre (which i own ultimate mk2 ), i mean low mc .
Okay you dont own a turntable , but that might change .
The best thing would be to get a try out in your system, i think it definetively would be worth the try.
I think of buying a jl2 mk 2 myself someday as i like the pre a lot

Last edited:

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
The Dart is very good but i was wanting to upgrade and the pre power of the cat is cheaper than dart pre power.what do our friends on the forum think of ribbon tweater speakers

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
Ribbon tweeter speakers? They are OK - if done properly they can be ethereal and light. If done poorly they can sound harsh and metallic. It's a bit like asking what people think of V8's ... there is a world of difference between a big American V8 pushrod donk and a BMW or Ferrari V8 :)

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I ve heard a few , some/most had very poor off axis dispersion meaning a narrow sweetspot which i dont like

Last edited:

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
I ve heard a few , some/most had very poor off axis dispersion meaning a narrow sweetspot which i dont like

The problem is that at the frequencies that tweeters work at, most of the ribbon tweeters available are either line sources, or focused beams. Hence, those that are line sources would have very poor vertical dispersion (unless they are the length of the Magneplanar 3.7's) or they would have very poor vertical and horizontal dispersion (if they are wider than 10mm or so).

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Why not complete the "tri-facta" with the Evolution Acoustics speakers. See yo tube for a sample.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
jasbirnandra,

I haven't heard this combo you're looking into, but there's a reason the Dartzeel cost as much as they do... They're quite good :D So, unless you're looking for tube sound, I'd investigate the Dartzeel combo.

Regarding the ribbon tweeters, I've heard the EA MM3, and they were placed with hardly any toe in, like 4 meters apart, and, sat in the middle, there was no beaming to speak of, and no treble hardness.

alexandre

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
My advice is to take a deep breath...and do nothing other than listen to some of your favorite music. Ask yourself, what am I missing that an upgrade would achieve? If the answer is nothing, you are done. If there is something you are still chasing, is it necessarily the amplification or another part of your system that needs to be addressed? At this level of investment, changes should be always be for the better, extensively researched and hopefully rare.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
or Gary's "ring" ribbon tweeters. :)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
My advice is to take a deep breath...and do nothing other than listen to some of your favorite music. Ask yourself, what am I missing that an upgrade would achieve? If the answer is nothing, you are done. If there is something you are still chasing, is it necessarily the amplification or another part of your system that needs to be addressed? At this level of investment, changes should be always be for the better, extensively researched and hopefully rare.
I admire your train of thought. What are you looking to achieve or possibly improve if you don't mind us asking, jasbirnandra?

jasbirnandra

Apr 3, 2012
thanks everybody for being so helpful like as our friend rightly said In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence so thats the contemplation on looking for change may be i should go to the dealer who has the cat jl2 mk2 and ascendo zf3 se or ms se and listen for myself and report back to all of you

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing