An interesting definition of "high end"

caesar

May 30, 2010
I was talking to a woman who sells Valcucine kitchens. For those who don't know much about kitchens, Valcucine is considered in the top tier of kitchens along with Boffi and Bulthaup. I asked her why Valcucine was considered high end of the high end, and she said:

- Price follows design. If there is no existing part, the part will be created to accommodate Valcucine design. This, of course, will greatly increase cost
- famous designers, who have been famous for decades, vs. upstarts
- paradigm shifting designs that eventually get copied by everyone else
- top quality parts that will break less frequently
- superior customer service if things do break
- kitchen designed to last your whole life

Agree? Disagree? With all or some?

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
It's a good question, but it brings yet another question, "The high end of what?" In audio, the answers may be different from those in kitchens. (I have sold both in my time, by the way.)

In audio, I believe that there are two overriding considerations that should be the key measures. First, there should be a distinctly discernible improvement in sound over any other piece of equipment that is generally considered to be a lesser product, price notwithstanding. Second, the customer service should be absolutely high-end, as well. If that criteria is met, I believe other concerns will fall into place by default. They have to, or the goal of the designer fails to meet its mark.

I suppose that any manufacturer's dream is to produce equipment that never sees the used market. It isn't easy to make that dream a reality because end users instinctively detect deviations from their expectations. I can tell you that it is a scary proposition from a manufacturer's point of view, but there are those in the audio business who really try their best.

Win

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing