BBQ Sauce - The absolute best I have found.

ptman

Dec 23, 2011
St. Louis, MO

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I don't have a favorite BBQ sauce and have several I enjoy.

I never heard of Old Mule, but I will look for and try it.

Doesn't the substrate and what you are in the mood for enter into the equation when you are considering the "best BBQ sauce."

tran1967

Sep 19, 2014
For pork, or perhaps chicken, my favorite comes from Dreamland BBQ in Tuscaloosa, Alabama.

Thin, nice spice with some tomato, good vinegar.

http://www.dreamlandbbq.com/Catalog/CategoryInfo.aspx?CID=7

Dreamland BBQ has the best pork ribs I have ever put in my mouth! At the Original you get no side the only thing they serve is Ribs and White bread and you will not be disappointed and the sauce it to die for.

abdraffay

Jul 19, 2015
http://www.oldmule.com/

Every once in a while in life, one stumbles across a slice of heaven here on Earth. I happen to have been lucky enough to find such a slice. For my birthday one year, my friends, wife and I went to the Watershed Cabins up in the mountains of North Carolina. I brought my typical big slab's-o-meat with me for some good mountaintop cookin'. One night we wanted to cook up 8 pounds of pork butt on the barbie'. Only issue was that we didn't have any BBQ sauce with us.

So, we went to a store early in the day and it was one of Bryson Cities worst hole in the wall dump of a store. I wanted some kind of BBQ sauce to go with the pork and I saw the cheap $1.00 kinds in the isles and I knew I didn't want those but that's all they had......until I strolled to the back of the store near the meat section and stumbled across this "Old Mule" BBQ sauce in a glass jar. "Hmmm", I thought. "We'll give this a whirl". It was made right here in the mountains of NC by a small family business, so it couldn't be that bad, right?

SCORE!!!

That pork butt turned out to be the very best pork butt I had ever had and we have since gone through gallons and gallons of this BBQ sauce. I would highly recommend that you try some of it out. The original [Half-kick] and hot [Full-kick] are my two favorites with the Full-kick being the most preferred by the masses at the large gatherings we occasionally have. They also have a mustard based sauce but I'll be honest, I have not tried it yet. Not a big fan of mustard based BBQ sauces here.

I have had nothing but positive feedback since I ran into Old Mule BBQ Sauce and I consider it my "reference" BBQ sauce. It's a little bit more expensive than your typical sauce but it tastes so much better than any other store bought sauce I have tried and I have tried every sauce all of the local [and some not local] supermarkets have to offer, no matter the price. When it hits your tongue, you can instantly taste the quality.

I'm always open to other sauces, so if you have any that you would consider your "reference", feel free to chime in. I'd love to try them out as well although I will admit, it's gonna be hard to top Old Mule in my opinion. It's just that good.

You can thank me later. ;)

Hi, thanks for sharing your find. Do they have a website? How can we order from abroad?
Cheers,
abdraffay.

Jim Smith

Industry Expert
Dec 14, 2012
Dreamland BBQ has the best pork ribs I have ever put in my mouth! At the Original you get no side the only thing they serve is Ribs and White bread and you will not be disappointed and the sauce it to die for.

+1

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello abdraffay and welcome to the WBF! The link to the website was on the very top of the post. Here it is again http://www.oldmule.com/

I don't know if they ship abroad since they use Fed-Ex Ground flat rates, so I would send them an e-mail to see what they can do for you. I really do hope they will accommodate because I have yet to encounter someone who doesn't love the sauce. In fact, at this year's family reunion, it was "requested" or shall I say "demanded" by many. The night we served the smoked pork butts with 2 kinds of this sauce (original and hot or "full kick") along with a cranberry and apricot based recipe of a pork loin, all of the smoked pork was gone. Only a 1/4 (if that) of the pork loin was eaten and we ended up taking that home with us even after we did yet another meal of a rubbed and smoked pork along with the leftover original sauce. That was all eaten as well.

tom

abdraffay

Jul 19, 2015
Hello abdraffay and welcome to the WBF! The link to the website was on the very top of the post. Here it is again http://www.oldmule.com/

I don't know if they ship abroad since they use Fed-Ex Ground flat rates, so I would send them an e-mail to see what they can do for you. I really do hope they will accommodate because I have yet to encounter someone who doesn't love the sauce. In fact, at this year's family reunion, it was "requested" or shall I say "demanded" by many. The night we served the smoked pork butts with 2 kinds of this sauce (original and hot or "full kick") along with a cranberry and apricot based recipe of a pork loin, all of the smoked pork was gone. Only a 1/4 (if that) of the pork loin was eaten and we ended up taking that home with us even after we did yet another meal of a rubbed and smoked pork along with the leftover original sauce. That was all eaten as well.

tom

Hi Tom, thanks will check it out. Sorry for missing that in your initial post.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Treitz...I see you're from Charlotte NC. Are you new to the neighborhood? BBQ is a whole pig, smoked real slow, pulled from the bone by hand, and liberally mixed with a spicy, clear, vinegar-based sauce. We call that red stuff enhanced ketchup, and it ain't bad, but it ain't Q.

Tim

Tim,

Is this twice that we agree on something? ;)

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
I still buy old mule full and half kick...great sauce. I may try ordering some dreamland bbq sauce from their online store for something new.

abdraffay

Jul 19, 2015
I still buy old mule full and half kick...great sauce. I may try ordering some dreamland bbq sauce from their online store for something new.

You have a beautiful car, its the kind my would go crazy for (he is only 5 :)). btw, which car is that?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello fellow WBF members. As I was shopping at the local Harris Teeter last week, I started dancing in the isle where the BBQ sauce was. As I was walking by, I spotted a jar of the Old Mule original BBQ sauce. Hot diggity damn!!! They actually carry it now! No more traveling to the mountains to get it. I did go talk to the manager after spotting it and inquired about them special ordering and/or stocking the mustard and full kick sauces as well. They are looking into it for me and I'll keep my fingers crossed that I get some good news soon. Anyhoo, if you happen to have a Harris Teeter near you and you are on the BBQ sauce isle, take a look to see if they have it.

Beautiful ride, rockitman. ;)

Tom

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
What on earth is a Harris Teeter? The second word would not be politically correct so would never come to west. :D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Harris Teeter is like a Kroger, Safeway, Food Lion, Giant, Winn-Dixie, Rosauers, Bi-Lo and the like. A regular grocery store in other words. Unfortunately, I think they are limited to 3 or 4 states in the Southeastern US.

Tom

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I still say the best sauce for Q is no sauce. Smoking for hours and slopping on ketchup. Same with a fine steak, would you slop on ketchup. Now with a steak I certainly would not turn down a well made Bernaise. ;)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing