Technical Audio Devices Laboratories (TAD)

AudioExplorations

Apr 5, 2012
Great interview with Andrew Jones on his design philosophy by Peter Roth of Ultra Audio.

Searching for the Extreme: Andrew Jones of Technical Audio Devices -- Part One

Searching for the Extreme: Andrew Jones of Technical Audio Devices -- Part Two

Below with his TAD Compact Reference 1 speakers.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I enjoyed it a lot! Nice approach regarding ABX testing, anheonic vs real-world listening and the obj/subj never-ending debate catched my attention - thanks for bringing it up jdebonth!

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One problem with the interview, Pt. 1 is that left brain-right brain argument doesn't hold up when examined with more current research tools. If you read Daniel Levitan's This Is Your Brain on Music, his research shows that the "whole" brain is activated when listening to music ;)

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello, jdebonth and welcome to the WBF! Thanks for sharing this.

Tom

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
One problem with the interview, Pt. 1 is that left brain-right brain argument doesn't hold up when examined with more current research tools. If you read Daniel Levitan's This Is Your Brain on Music, his research shows that the "whole" brain is activated when listening to music ;)

But if you listen only to digital music 100%, you only need half a brain because you have half as much to listen to. Is this the point where I'm supposed to insert some smiley face emoticons??

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
But if you listen only to digital music 100%, you only need half a brain because you have half as much to listen to. Is this the point where I'm supposed to insert some smiley face emoticons??

Sorry to disagree Mep. When you listen to digital music you need the two halves of the brain - one half listens to "1"s, the other half to the "0"s. :D

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
That's interesting. When I listen to music?

I actually enjoy it. With all parts of the brain. :)

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Many thanks for the links jdebonth. Very nice reading.
I found two sentences particularly interesting. One about acoustics in stereo:

Which gets us back to what are, truly, the important speaker characteristics. It confirmed a lot of beliefs that ceiling reflections are one of the worst. Sidewall reflections can be good, adding to a sense of spaciousness, if the stereo speaker possesses well-controlled directivity. This same sidewall phenomenon happens in concert halls, on a different scale. The tall, narrow, long concert halls -- traditional ones -- were always the best halls. Sidewall reflections are lower-correlation than ceiling or floor, so they add spaciousness. Correlated signals, by contrast, add coloration.

Would love to hear more from other members about this aspect. And the other about horns:

These days you can achieve much better sounds from horn drivers, arguably better than with regular drivers. I do employ horn-loaded drivers -- a concentric driver is essentially a horn-loaded tweeter in a horn that is moving -- but because so many have a negative reaction to the word horn, we instead refer to a waveguide.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Sorry to disagree Mep. When you listen to digital music you need the two halves of the brain - one half listens to "1"s, the other half to the "0"s. :D

Which side listens to the LSBs? :)

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Now that's funny! Actually, I have to admit (which I already have) that since I *buiilt* Gary's server, digital has never sounded better. I ordered and paid for the Mytek Stereo 192 almost a month ago and I still don't have it. It makes me mad because I have a hard drive with over 100 albums recorded in DSD and I can't hear them yet.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
A very apt quote therein:

When you write something scientific, whether discussing something or undertaking a research study, experimental procedure is important: single-variable change. So many people don’t account for all of the things that could be changing as a result of the intended change they thought they were making (in which case, one can’t be sure that the intended change was actually the cause of the identified result)
This is the heart and soul of how I'm attempting to get to bottom of various aspects of audio system behaviour: sometimes successfully, but many more times unsuccessfully. The nightmare world many audio people live in, trying to understand why it doesn't gell, and then attempting to make their system sound "good" by throwing everything at it, double kitchen sink included, is not for me ...

Frank

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing