Check Out This Listing

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
This machine has been listed forever and will continue to do so at this price.

Either that or it's a scam. Once the plastic bag comes off, it's worth $500.00 at most. It's hard to get excited about a B-77, sealed bag or no.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Either that or it's a scam. Once the plastic bag comes off, it's worth $500.00 at most. It's hard to get excited about a B-77, sealed bag or no.

especially with no 15 ips. If it were not for 15 ips tapes, I would not own a RTR machine as vinyl kills 7 1/2 ips for everything I have heard.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
especially with no 15 ips. If it were not for 15 ips tapes, I would not own a RTR machine as vinyl kills 7 1/2 ips for everything I have heard.

Depends on the 71/2 ips tape. If you're talking commercially available, then yes. :)

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I have a nice Trashcam :) to rewind tapes, since my modified Technics keeps the tape in constant contact with the head assembly, I prefer to wind/unwind tape somewhere else, and it packs tape nicely.

mep

Apr 20, 2010

If it wasn’t for the noise that 7 ½” tapes throw off (I’m talking 4 track tapes which means tape hiss and crosstalk noise), I wouldn’t entirely agree with you. The music itself sounds great from 7 ½” tapes, it’s the damn noise that ruins it.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
If it wasn’t for the noise that 7 ½” tapes throw off (I’m talking 4 track tapes which means tape hiss and crosstalk noise), I wouldn’t entirely agree with you. The music itself sounds great from 7 ½” tapes, it’s the damn noise that ruins it.

What's interesting that at least a few of the highly regarded early Atlantic jazz recordings of say Coltrane, were recorded on 71/2 ips master tapes. I've also heard here some 71/2 ips masters that Rich/U47 brought over a while back. Other than being a little soft in the top end, they were wonderful. Those of course were 2 track.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
IMHO, the B77 is not a mythical or rare tape recorder, and there is no reason for this absurd price. As rockitman referred this listing has been shown for long without any takers.

Some years ago, a really sealed, non opened pair of Quad 22 sold at eBay for a very high price. The boxes were still sealed with the original paper tape, but the seller showed several radiographies, certified by public authorities, to attest the content of the boxes. :cool:

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Like I said, tear open the bag and watch your over $3K turn into $500. Now that is magic.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing