What speed is best...a new perspective.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Yesterday, I had the pleasure of listening to a friend's antique Dansette 78 LP player hooked up to his system. The Dansette made me wonder if we have really come that far in the playback of analog:confused:. Some of the 78 LP's that my friend played on the Dansette were in many ways an eye opener. The reproduction of male voices, as an example, was about as realistic as i have ever heard, including from RtoR!
Many of us enjoy 45's and believe that at that speed there is a greater fidelity than at the standard 33/1/3 speed. Surprising that 78's haven't been revived as the ultimate from analog source:confused:.
Anyone else have a similar experience listening to 78's --- a new perspective:)

Jay_S

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
San Francisco - East Bay
If you haven't spent time listening to 78 records you are in for a surprise. 78s have their problems with play time, noise, bass, and treble. But the good ones sound dynamic and detailed, and they can have a remarkable presence.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I must be getting old because the 78's that I remember recorded in the late 50's and early 60's was slightly smaller than an LP but if you drop it, it's history because they broke. Is this what you guys are referring to?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I must be getting old because the 78's that I remember recorded in the late 50's and early 60's was slightly smaller than an LP but if you drop it, it's history because they broke. Is this what you guys are referring to?

And if you heated them up they made great ash trays.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA

Steve, they made 10" and 12" 78's. The one's that I heard were 12" 78's. BTW, 10" and 12" 33's were also made during the 'golden age'. I think, but I'm not sure, that all 78's were made from Bakerlite....
and IF you dropped that onto a hard surface, the LP would shatter. Don't ask me how I know this:rolleyes:

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
When I was five or six I sat on a stack of them. They break.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing