Evolution Acoustics MM7 thoughts and impressions

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Frank

Do you have the schematics of the MM7 crossover? Your statements suppose that you know the particulars of the MM7 implementation do you? Where did you get them?
Frantz, the constant voltage crossover requires, by definition, that all the components of that circuit are in parallel to the drivers. Now, in order for the signal being fed to the tweeter, say, not to also pass through a low frequency driver that latter driver has to be bypassed with capacitance -- that's how speaker crossovers, filters work. Which means that the current running through the tweeter is also passing through a capacitor.

This is why active speakers are the ultmate solution to this dilemma: get rid of the passive components entirely, or use them where the voltage and currents mean that the highest quality versions of such can be used ...

Frank

Mike Lavigne

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 25, 2010
Frank

Do you have the schematics of the MM7 crossover? Your statements suppose that you know the particulars of the MM7 implementation do you? Where did you get them?

as i write this Kevin is still working on fitting the newly designed crossover with the production parts into the MM7 speaker cabinet; so it's not in final form just yet.

Rutgar

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas Area
mysite.verizon.net
Congrats Mike! I look forward to seeing pictures once you get the MM7's. Being a fellow owner of the MM3, and knowing what a great speaker they are, I can only imagine what the MM7's will sound like!

I'm guessing you will not have any issues with fitting the MM7's in you room.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Congrats Mike! I look forward to seeing pictures once you get the MM7's. Being a fellow owner of the MM3, and knowing what a great speaker they are, I can only imagine what the MM7's will sound like!

I'm guessing you will not have any issues with fitting the MM7's in you room.

hi Bill,

i was going to post an update on my MM7's and noticed i never responded to your question. and the answer is that my room will be ideal for the MM7's in terms of space. the room is 21 feet wide and 29 feet long, and there is lots of open space to move the bass towers around to find the best location.

i could have the bass towers either inside or outside the main towers. i've typically had the MM3's approx 9.5-10.5 feet apart 'tweeter to tweeter'. that still leaves 5-6 feet of width on each side if i use them outboard of the main towers. i suspect that it's likely the main towers will be slightly less spread apart, and the bass towers outboard but in the same plane so the waveform launch for the bass will be the same as the main towers for optimal impact and focus over the whole musical frequency.

the main towers are 82 inches tall (for comparison the MM3's are 74 inches tall), and the bass towers are 85 inches tall, my room is 11 feet tall with the drop ceiling 9.5 feet in places. so i have plenty of height.

Last edited:

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
and......tonight i got word that the MM7 main tower cabinets were complete and were being 'stuffed' with crossovers, drivers, etc. starting today and over the next couple of days for shipping by Friday assuming all goes well.

if they ship Friday i should have the Main towers at my home by next Thursday. the bass towers to follow 2 weeks after.

:D:D:D:D:D

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
---Is Gary still around? ...It's been a while.

Gary is local here in the Seattle area. i think he may finally have returned from his month long (or longer?) world wide audio show/Genesis delivery sojurn, but i'm not 100% sure about that.

btw; Gary is not involved with Evolution Acoustic MM7's....he is the Genesis Major-domo.

A.wayne

Jan 14, 2011
Front Row Center
hi Bill,

i was going to post an update on my MM7's and noticed i never responded to your question. and the answer is that my room will be ideal for the MM7's in terms of space. the room is 21 feet wide and 29 feet long, and there is lots of open space to move the bass towers around to find the best location.

i could have the bass towers either inside or outside the main towers. i've typically had the MM3's approx 9.5-10.5 feet apart 'tweeter to tweeter'. that still leaves 5-6 feet of width on each side if i use them outboard of the main towers. i suspect that it's likely the main towers will be slightly less spread apart, and the bass towers outboard but in the same plane so the waveform launch for the bass will be the same as the main towers for optimal impact and focus over the whole musical frequency.

the main towers are 82 inches tall (for comparison the MM3's are 74 inches tall), and the bass towers are 85 inches tall, my room is 11 feet tall with the drop ceiling 9.5 feet in places. so i have plenty of height.

Hello Mike ,

You will find the bass towers work best on the outside , if you place them on the inside , the sound stage tends to collapse inward..

Regards ,

jeromelang

Dec 26, 2011
Are the evolution speakers time-aligned?
I seem to have read somewhere here on this board that they are.
What type of crossover network they use?

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hello Mike ,

You will find the bass towers work best on the outside , if you place them on the inside , the sound stage tends to collapse inward..

Regards ,

i agree, and had assumed that the Bass towers would need to be outboard for soundstage reasons. i have never dealt with multiple tower speaker set up before, so i was not 100% sure about it.

i have seen the Genesis 1.2 with the bass towers 6+ feet behind and slightly inside the main towers in a huge room so that made me think maybe if the bass towers are not in the same plane then maybe it's a question.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Are the evolution speakers time-aligned?
I seem to have read somewhere here on this board that they are.
What type of crossover network they use?

the crossover is first order; whatever that means.

i have been asked that question about time-aligned before and passed the question on to Kevin Malmgren.

here is the designer's own words to answer that;

Hello Mike,

I will try to simplify this as much as possible. The MM7 was designed to have the subwoofer towers side-by-side with the main towers in a complete time and phase aligned orientation, as shown in the picture on our website, and also as how you listened to the mono channel when you were at my place.
While it is true that the lower frequencies have much larger waves, getting them to integrate in phase with the main tower is really not much of an issue when it comes to room placement, meaning you will not experience much if any wave cancellation. However, the wave launch, when having the towers perfectly time aligned to the listening chair is needed to provide a tighter presentation with greater impact, and also to align the harmonic series from top to bottom to produce a seamless and tonally lifelike presentation. This is not to say that you can not move the towers around, because you can.
Remember, we are only talking about a subwoofer tower that is coming in at around 30 to 40Hz at most, so most all music information will be coming from the main towers. The benefit of being able to move the sub towers is if you have a room that is not friendly in the deep bass region (this would have to be a really bad room where even the amplifier controls on the subwoofer modules can not bring the bass up enough). In this case, you may want the main towers where you get the best sonic presentation, but you may have to push the sub towers to another region of the room to get bass all the way down below 40Hz flat. If this was a speaker system contained all in one tower and the best location for sub 40Hz range was all the way against the back wall, imagine how the mid-bass, midrange, depth, etc. would suffer.
The only other reason I could see for moving the sub towers is for aesthetic purposes within the listening space. Some people may not want to have a wall of speakers, and being able to push the sub towers to another location may be more acceptable.

In a nutshell, if you want to stay true to my design, then yes you must have the towers all perfectly time-aligned to the listening chair. However, if your room is not producing good frequency response in this situation and you value that over time domain launch, then you can always move the subs to get the best frequency bandwidth. Or, you may just want to visually downsize the appearance of the speakers in your room.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

I thought I understood the Evo Acoustics concept but I could be wrong .. Isn't the MTM module the same from the MM1 to the MM7? I believe one can go from the MM1 to the MM3 just adding woofers,, MM no (sub)woofers, MM2 one (sub)woofer and MM3 2 (sub) woofers..

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Hi

I thought I understood the Evo Acoustics concept but I could be wrong .. Isn't the MTM module the same from the MM1 to the MM7? I believe one can go from the MM1 to the MM3 just adding woofers,, MM no (sub)woofers, MM2 one (sub)woofer and MM3 2 (sub) woofers..

Frantz, what is the conflict, did i write something that creates a question.

here is my understanding, however i'm not always the most technically precise guy.:)

the cabinet and drivers for the MTM middle module are the physically same for the MM one, MM2, MM3,and MM7. since the MM One is full range it's crossover is different.

the MM2 and MM3 are totally the same.

the MM7 has a radically different crossover than the others and possibly other changes i don't know about.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Mike

No .. Just wanted to understand if one could go from the MMOne to the 7 and it seems possible... Possibly unique to go from one model to the top of the line in that fashion. I like the concept.

Mike Lavigne

Apr 25, 2010
Mike

No .. Just wanted to understand if one could go from the MMOne to the 7 and it seems possible... Possibly unique to go from one model to the top of the line in that fashion. I like the concept.

with the MM One, the MTM module goes down to 40hz (-3db) and 32hz (-6db) so it's crossover is a little different than the MM2 and MM3. how that is dealt with when stepping up to the MM2 or MM3 from the MM One i don't know. i know you can step up.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing