Harmonic Resolution Systems

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Odyno,

I have the Nimbus Couplers, Dampling Plate, as well as the Resonance Control 'plates' from Finite Elemente. I prefer the HRS products without doubt. To give you an example, i own the Zanden DAC which is a beautiful mirror finish product...when you tap it, you can hear the internal space clearly. When you put the coupler and the damping plate on it...it 'thuds' when you tap it hard...it feels like there is a half inch of solid aluminum...its actually quite stunning.

By contrast, if you use the Finite Elemente Resonance Control plate, it is about 50% of the 'solidity' of the HRS.

In the end, it is about the sound more than the damping of any casing thud. i will simply say the sound improvements in the damping plate and coupler were material and all good in the improvement of the clarity/reduction in 'shimmer' related to micro-vibrations. Frankly, with the Resonance Control dampers from FE, i got them both at a 'cheap' price but otherwise would not have bought them again...whereas i would definitely consider the couplers/plates for my CJ GAT if they came up second/hand.

One man's experience.

Odyno

Dec 27, 2011
Near Montreal Canada
Thanks lloydelee21 for your answer.
What suze of Nimbus and damping plate do you think is best to use?
Should I aim for big as possible?

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks lloydelee21 for your answer.
What suze of Nimbus and damping plate do you think is best to use?
Should I aim for big as possible?

Nimbus thickness i think is about your required height more than damping. i am told bigger plate is better...have not tested, but mine is the middle size.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Any one experimented with the Nimbus, Damping plate and record weight from Harmonic Resolution Systemshttp://www.avisolation.com?
If so, did you compared with what Black Diamond Racing http://www.blackdiamondracing.net/are offering?
Both company seem to be serious contender taking the chassis vibration problem from different point of view.....
Hi Odyno,
I am currently using Stillpoints but Lloyd's experience has tempted me to try two DPX damping plates and 8 of the Nimbus Spacers/couplers.They are due to arrive next Tuesday and I particularly want to try them with my Vitus SIA 025 amp and DCS Puccini CD player.
Have you tried them yet and with what results and are there any other forum members who have any experience of them? Would be grateful to know.
I will post my experiences next week

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Hi Odyno,
I am currently using Stillpoints but Lloyd's experience has tempted me to try two DPX damping plates and 8 of the Nimbus Spacers/couplers.They are due to arrive next Tuesday and I particularly want to try them with my Vitus SIA 025 amp and DCS Puccini CD player.
Have you tried them yet and with what results and are there any other forum members who have any experience of them? Would be grateful to know.
I will post my experiences next week

Hi Barry2013...good luck! Let me know if you have any questions...you're very experienced so no doubt you are all set, but feel free just in case. HRS is really great stuff. Both amp and CD player will hopefully benefit.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Thanks Lloyd. That is kind of you.
What I am particularly intrigued by is how it will compare with the Ultra SSs using both damping plate and nimbus and damping plate and Ultras and the effects of using on one component both the large and the medium damping plates again with the Ultras and the nimbus.
All will be revealed next week!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd. That is kind of you.
What I am particularly intrigued by is how it will compare with the Ultra SSs using both damping plate and nimbus and damping plate and Ultras and the effects of using on one component both the large and the medium damping plates again with the Ultras and the nimbus.
All will be revealed next week!

I too will be interested!!! In my own system, as you know, each component is in its own 'isolation sandwich' with isolation underneath and mass damping on top. But each combination is different. On signal components (DAC, DAC, PSU and CJ)...I preferred the HRS. On power (amp, transport, power conditioner, transport psu, and speakers/sub)...I preferred Ultra 5s. And as you also know, my Ultra 5s have nimbus on top directly under the component.

The reason for this preference is that I care more about tonality than the last iota of detail. The tonal qualities of the HRS is unchallenged in my experience...whatever you have, there it is, maybe a bit richer, deeper, but certainly never more stiff. The Stillpoints clarity is equally unmatched...I'd say the HRS M3X platform plus nimbus is about a match to the Ultra 5s but I'd still have to hazard a guess the Ultra 5s are still a bit clearer. But the Stillpoints can on occasion add a bit of stiffness in my system...hence why I often couple it with HRS nimbus.

I guess the only takeaway from the above is...experiment in your own system, but given the quality of your system, I have no doubt you will hear differences with each iteration. Good luck.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
That is helpful Lloyd - as ever.
I too value tonality so your experience and comments are particularly relevant.
That is why I much prefer the Entreq cabling to the Nordost and the recent addition of three Apollo interconnects has been a really impressive upgrade.
Oodles of clarity/resolution seems so often to strip the music of emotion and communication and presents an unreal sound lacking in fidelity IMHO. The Carmels et al are very open but natural and that suits me fine.
More next week!

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
That is helpful Lloyd - as ever.
I too value tonality so your experience and comments are particularly relevant.
That is why I much prefer the Entreq cabling to the Nordost and the recent addition of three Apollo interconnects has been a really impressive upgrade.
Oodles of clarity/resolution seems so often to strip the music of emotion and communication and presents an unreal sound lacking in fidelity IMHO. The Carmels et al are very open but natural and that suits me fine.
More next week!

Great stuff, Barry2013. Your Carmels are very open and revealing, so I have no doubt every change you make can be heard. I think with the right damping what you will hear is when a violin string soars, you will hear a much greater intensity of tone as it gets up there. With less damped equipment, I find my system lets that soaring get a bit out of control...it loses some of the energy to vibration (lost), becomes somewhat distorted (ie, strident). But when the system equipment gets the RIGHT kind of damping/isolation, the energy of the soaring violin stays true, and the intensity of the note continues to deliver as the note goes on. Very nice. Good luck.

Barry2013

VIP/Donor
Oct 12, 2013
Essex UK
Great stuff, Barry2013. Your Carmels are very open and revealing, so I have no doubt every change you make can be heard. I think with the right damping what you will hear is when a violin string soars, you will hear a much greater intensity of tone as it gets up there. With less damped equipment, I find my system lets that soaring get a bit out of control...it loses some of the energy to vibration (lost), becomes somewhat distorted (ie, strident). But when the system equipment gets the RIGHT kind of damping/isolation, the energy of the soaring violin stays true, and the intensity of the note continues to deliver as the note goes on. Very nice. Good luck.
Thanks Lloyd.
I have the Hyperion SACD of Julia Fisher's Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin so that should be a good disc to try with the HRS.
Thanks again.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Thanks Lloyd.
I have the Hyperion SACD of Julia Fisher's Bach Sonatas and Partitas for solo violin so that should be a good disc to try with the HRS.
Thanks again.

I do not have that particular version, but do have some of her works, and yes, I can imagine the recording quality of a Hyperion would be a great start. Good luck. Placement underneath and on top may matter.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
A quick correction - Pentatone not Hyperion but well recorded.

I have some Pentatone's and they are also excellent. I tend to find they come across with greater vibrancy, illumination than Hyperions which have a more intimate atmosphere with less absolute vibrancy. That's just my experience. I honestly like both labels a lot. If the music and musician look right, I never hesitate to buy either in terms of recording/mastering/production.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing