Suggestions for a Coffee machine

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
My trusty Philips still works splendidly, but it's white in colour and is showing signs of age, so I'd like to change it. I'll clean it up good and give it to the local Goodwill store.

Anyway, I'm not looking at the Keurig-type machines (although I thought about it), but do want to buy a good-quality 10-12 cup glass carafe unit. I've heard these actually keep your coffee warmer than a thermal carafe. I only use my coffeemaker in the morning on workdays, and proably twice on my days off, so I don't need a super heavy-duty unit.

I'd like the unit to be black in colour or perhaps stainless steel.

Any suggestions for around $50-$100?

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
I'd look at anything by Bunn (even used). Skip the glass carafe + heater... it will just burn your coffee.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It may not suit your needs (limited capacity and no capability of keeping itself warm), but most coffee lovers would suggest a burr grinder and French Press. You can get a pretty good burr grinder for about $80, and a pretty good 34 oz press for about $30; both are usually available at your nearest Starbucks if convenient acquisition is important.

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
It may not suit your needs (limited capacity and no capability of keeping itself warm), but most coffee lovers would suggest a burr grinder and French Press. You can get a pretty good burr grinder for about $80, and a pretty good 34 oz press for about $30; both are usually available at your nearest Starbucks if convenient acquisition is important.
True. I had assumed he already had a decent grinder.

By the way, Bunn sells two types of machines: one where the water is kept hot and the other where it will heat the water when you start a brew cycle. Given your use, you'd probably want the latter to save on electricity.

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
auto-drip wise, having gone thru everything from a Mr. Coffee to Capresso, Technivorm and now Zojiruishi, I think all drip makers are pretty much the same given a thermal carafe that works. Same process, same quality output. Almost all heat the water to the right temperature -- some may maintain that heat throughout the process a little better, but not meaningfully so IMO.

Personal fave were the electric bodum vacuum french presses -- basically as convenient as auto-drips but entirely different brewing process producing much fuller-tasting coffee. Fun to watch too.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Still haven't bought that coffeemaker as I haven't been able to make up my mind up to now, but that's changed. I found a nice drip coffeemaker by KRUPS that will suit my needs just fine.

Krups KM720D.jpg

About $100, but with the Christmas sales I'll surely find it cheaper.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
John, does it have to be an automatic machine? Here's what I do, and it's not a big deal and makes for a marvelous cup of coffee:
First, good beans. I'm sure you can source good stuff where you are, we have ours shipped from a Cuban roaster in Ybor City Florida. It is an espresso roast, and a very oily bean.
Buy a good burr grinder. The Breuville, which is a cheapy, sells for under 90 bucks on Amazon. The company is pretty good about support, they replaced ours when it jammed up after about 6 months. Why a burr grinder? It makes the coffee flake rather than just smash it up to bits and really let's you get the most out of the bean;
Now, here's the easy part:
Melitta type filter cone and filters- you can buy these in a grocery store.
If your tap water is good (ours is), just boil the water, grind up some beans, dump the ground beans into the filter and pour. There is an art to pouring so you get the most out of the grounds. It can make a killer cup of coffee. And you are spending the money where it counts most. Just a thought......

Oops, just saw that Rbbert recommended the grinder too. I like French Press, which he recommended. It makes a stronger cup, not quite as mellow; and, you gotta clean the thing, which is the biggest pita of a french press.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Bill - My kitchen appliance budget has been pushed back as I spent some considerable money of the new cartridge and power amp, but I am in fact picking up the Breville Burr Grinder this weekend from Sears. They have it on-sale for $99. I did some research on Burr-grinders as I didn't really understand the difference between it and a regular grinder, but I'm convinced it's the right way to go for a great cup of coffee.

Regarding the Melitta suggestion....do you make that one cup at a time then?

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
You've got the grinder now, that's the big expense. Now you can get a French Press for between $20 and $40 (depending on size and appearance) and brew your coffee the way it's supposed to be!

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Bill - My kitchen appliance budget has been pushed back as I spent some considerable money of the new cartridge and power amp, but I am in fact picking up the Breville Burr Grinder this weekend from Sears. They have it on-sale for $99. I did some research on Burr-grinders as I didn't really understand the difference between it and a regular grinder, but I'm convinced it's the right way to go for a great cup of coffee.

Regarding the Melitta suggestion....do you make that one cup at a time then?

No, by the pot, and drink it while it's hot, no burner under it, no reheated coffee- kills the taste...
next question: beans- ? you must have some good coffee roasters up there, i would try some small quantities of different roasts/beans to figure out what you like.
frankly, it doesn't have to be more expensive, the stuff we get is like 7 or 8 bucks a pound and is roasted by a small, old line company- i don't think that's much more than what you'd pay in the grocery store for a pound of corporate buzz.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I'd look at anything by Bunn (even used). Skip the glass carafe + heater... it will just burn your coffee.

I don't drink coffee, but I drink a lot of tea, and I own a Bunn machine for making tea quickly. Mine is so old that I cannot remember for certain when I bought it, but it was sometime in the mid-eighties. A couple of years ago the thermostat failed, so I went online to find a replacement machine. One online seller convinced me to rebuild my old machine, rather than buy a new one from him because he said the new ones are of compromised quality, mostly being Chinese production that cut costs where it matters most. He estimated their lifespan at only three years and informed me that my old machine was far better than any conventional coffeemaker currently available, so I completely refurbished the unit with NOS parts from him that included a much improved thermostat. The guy kept me on hold for half an hour while he scoured his warehouse for those parts because he is into coffeemakers as much as we are into audio. Now, my Bunn should last as long as I want to keep it.

The unit is a Model A-10, which is available new, but not as good as my older version of it. The downside is that my older model is an extremely ugly brown and beige commercial unit, but pretty is as pretty does, correct? You may want to explore used eBay ones with the plan of refurbishing it yourself, which is actually very easy. You only need a screwdriver and an average level of mechanical expertise.

If my memory serves me, a complete rebuild less heater element cost me around seventy dollars. I'll try to find the website that provided the parts, if you decide to go in this admittedly bizarre direction. ;)

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
I don't drink coffee, but I drink a lot of tea, and I own a Bunn machine for making tea quickly. Mine is so old that I cannot remember for certain when I bought it, but it was sometime in the mid-eighties. A couple of years ago the thermostat failed, so I went online to find a replacement machine. One online seller convinced me to rebuild my old machine, rather than buy a new one from him because he said the new ones are of compromised quality, mostly being Chinese production that cut costs where it matters most. He estimated their lifespan at only three years and informed me that my old machine was far better than any conventional coffeemaker currently available, so I completely refurbished the unit with NOS parts from him that included a much improved thermostat. The guy kept me on hold for half an hour while he scoured his warehouse for those parts because he is into coffeemakers as much as we are into audio. Now, my Bunn should last as long as I want to keep it.

The unit is a Model A-10, which is available new, but not as good as my older version of it. The downside is that my older model is an extremely ugly brown and beige commercial unit, but pretty is as pretty does, correct? You may want to explore used eBay ones with the plan of refurbishing it yourself, which is actually very easy. You only need a screwdriver and an average level of mechanical expertise.

If my memory serves me, a complete rebuild less heater element cost me around seventy dollars. I'll try to find the website that provided the parts, if you decide to go in this admittedly bizarre direction. ;)

Only a guy who hand builds bespoke turntables would rebuild an old coffee machine.:) I love it. Wonder if any had vacuum tubes back in the day?

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
If you are willing to go higher in price [under $350 on the internet], you might look at this small commercial Bunn. It is all stainless steel construction and uses a thermal carafe.

http://www.bunn.com/products/pourover/cw_tc.html

I use a commercial three burner Bloomfield in my kitchen, and I can say nothing beats a commercial unit.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
Only a guy who hand builds bespoke turntables would rebuild an old coffee machine.:) I love it. Wonder if any had vacuum tubes back in the day?

Yep, that's me. I rarely buy anything without fixing it to suit me, or modifying it in some way.

One day, I'll tell you about the can opener with modified ratio copy machine gears!

Last week, I sandblasted the handle of a Chinese chef's knife because its steel surface was too slippery for me to consider it safe to use. Today's project is the end-all of grill burners for my open broilers. I am making them from 11 ga. stainless steel pipe because I am tired of replacing the factory ones that seem to be manufactured with planned obsolescence in mind. I don't believe this DIY set will ever burn out.

I'm trying to redefine the meaning of custom kitchen...in a trailer trash chic sort of way. :D :D :D

As to the coffeemaker, I could call the guy who is really into them, and ask. If vacuum tubes never saw a coffeemaker, maybe we can add some for thermostat control. ;)

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
If you are willing to go higher in price [under $350 on the internet], you might look at this small commercial Bunn. It is all stainless steel construction and uses a thermal carafe.

http://www.bunn.com/products/pourover/cw_tc.html

I use a commercial three burner Bloomfield in my kitchen, and I can say nothing beats a commercial unit.

I know a place in town where I can get one of those. Interesting.

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I looked at that one, and was told to expect a three year lifespan, so I passed on it.

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I looked at that one, and was told to expect a three year lifespan, so I passed on it.

. . . maybe if you used it in a restaurant where you brewed 30 pots a day.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV

For how many people (or how many cups) are you making coffee? Again I'll mention that if want 32 oz or less at a time, nothing matches a French press for taste, and it's less expensive as well.

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
For how many people (or how many cups) are you making coffee? Again I'll mention that if want 32 oz or less at a time, nothing matches a French press for taste, and it's less expensive as well.

+1 I make a pot at a time, keepin' it fresh, grind and brew as I need it. You don't need more unless you are having a party or fueling an office full of people.

Cyclotronguy

Aug 31, 2012
N. CA
Hey guys

The comment about making turntables and modifying coffee makers gave me big giggle.

My friend AJ Conti (Basis Audio Turntables) secretly builds coffee machines. Very beautiful coffee machines.

On those rare occasions when I see him do we talk turntables, cables, speakers, music.... well maybe a little bit.

Mostly it's coffee, tea and their associated hardware. I'll be seeing him next week at CES, I wonder what he'll be brewing up?

Cyclotronguy

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing