Integrated amp suggestions

RCDAVE

Feb 15, 2012
Hey everybody!

I'm in the process of upgrading all of my two channel gear, except my speakers (Cox Audio Systems SM-102) which are staying with me for quite a while. Right now I'm using an old NAD 7225PE stereo receiver. I got this little guy for free, and it's actually been a great little receiver. I use a Yaqin tube buffer on it's tape loop, and those two together with my Emotiva ERC-1, have made for a really nice sounding budget system. However, I'm ready to move up into something a little more "high end".

My budget is going to be about $1,500-$2,000. I'm not against buying used, but I'd prefer to buy something new. Also, I plan on getting into vinyl soon, so a phono section would be nice.

Anyway, I've been looking at a lot of integrated amps the last few days, and the ones that seem to stand out the most are...

Roksan Kandy K2
Simaudio Moon 250i/i-1
Exposure 2010S2
Rega Brio-R
Naim Nait 5i
Wyred 4 Sound STI-500

Anybody have experience with any of these, or any of these brands in general?

I (and my speakers) tend to favor a "warmer" sound, with a nice and full midrange. I also appreciate very detailed and extended highs, just as long as they aren't shrill with a lot of sibilance.

I'm not too concerned with power, since my speakers have a 100 db sensitivity rating.

Also, I'm very concerned about build/parts quality, and a good warranty. I love seeing and operating audio gear that has a hefty, solid feel, with quality parts throughout. All of these amps seem to be great in those areas, with the Simaudio really standing out with their 10 year warranty, and the Roksan with it's strong build and rather sexy looks imo.

So, those are my choices so far. I'd love to hear from those who have experience with these amps, or have experience with these brands. I'm also open to other suggestions, so let's hear them if you got them.

Thank you very much in advance for any advice you can provide. :)

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The Naim Nait 5i and the Simaudio Moon 250i/i-1 would be my choices. The Naim is a continual winner in that price category, and they pair well with the Dynaudio and Totem speakers. I don't know of your speakers, so I can't say how they'd do. The Simaudio unit impressed me as well. At the TAVE Show in Toronto last year I heard them with some silver Monitors and 2 bookshelf speakers I can't quite recall. Aethetically I prefer the Simaudio Moon as I don't care for all black components.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
And ...

Hi Dave,

You seem to have put the right finger on the right product, I think;
the Canadian Simaudio Moon i-1 Integrated amplifier.
I don't have any experience with it though;
I just know that it is a great Canadian company (over 30 years in the business), has an excellent warranty, and was reviewed in Stereophile's issue of December 2008 (Vol.31 No.12).
It was reviewed by Robert J. Reina, assisted by John Atkinson (John A. is a member here at WBF).
The Simaudio Moon i-1 retails for $1,700 USD and it is rated Class B in Stereophile.
It is rated at 50Wpc. ...But does it have a phono preamp?

Also, there is the Exposure 2010S, which retails for $1,295 USD.
--> Add $219 for an optional MM or MC phono-preamp card.
That Integrated amp is rated at 75Wpc, and it is a Class A int. amp in Stereophile.
And it was also reviewed in that audio mag (the 2010S2 is I guess the latest iteration).

Then there is the Peachtree Audio Nova USB: $1,199 USD.
It is rated at 80Wpc, with internal USB D/A converter, and a tubed line stage.
Current production features upgraded ESS Sabre DACs.
That Integrated amp was reviewed in the December 2010 issue of Stereophile (Vol.33 No.12).
And was also reviewed in August 2009 (Vol.32 No.8) also in Stereophile.
It is rated Class B from that audio mag.

Finally, there is the Vincent Tubeline SV-236MK: $1,995 USD.
It is rated at 150Wpc, and Class B in Stereophile.
The review was done in the April 2009 issue of the same mag (Vol.32 No.4).

Anyway Dave, something to chew on. :b

** Try to reach John Atkinson, or perhaps even Kal Rubinson for more greater feedback.
...Both are members here at WBF.
John is the main editor at Stereophile, and Kal is a contributing editor.
And both are very well known for their immense contributions over the years in our Audio hobby. :b

Best of luck,
Bob

P.S. I have already replied to your post about 30 or 40 minutes ago,
but I accidently clicked the wrong key on my keyboard;
so, gone my reply and I had to start all over again lol! :D

Last edited:

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
I liked your Naim and Exposure options, I have not heard all of your choices but either of this two will bring a nuce PRaT factor to your system.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

One of the best Integrated I have heard and likelyin your price range used is the Plinius SA-9200. They don't come by often ut if you find one be sure to audition it ... Plinius is not a popular brand in North America but their products are as good as they get... And reliable too. I lived with the 9200 for quite a while and was extremely pleased by its performance.

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Of your list, my first choice of your list would be the Roksan Kandy. I've heard many iterations of this little amp, and it's quite a giant killer. The built-in phono stage is well worthy of something better. It's moving-magnet only, but there's the camp that says that all moving coil cartridges should be used with a step-up transformer anyway. The second would be the Simaudio. That's another killer piece that I've demo'ed with. However, that does not have a built-in phono stage but it also opens you up to getting a better phono stage when you are ready to get into vinyl.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Of your list, my first choice of your list would be the Roksan Kandy. I've heard many iterations of this little amp, and it's quite a giant killer. The built-in phono stage is well worthy of something better. It's moving-magnet only, but there's the camp that says that all moving coil cartridges should be used with a step-up transformer anyway. The second would be the Simaudio. That's another killer piece that I've demo'ed with. However, that does not have a built-in phono stage but it also opens you up to getting a better phono stage when you are ready to get into vinyl.

Gary, your own integrated amp is a jewel - but whenever one is listed it moves quickly at the used market - I have noticed some disapperar after a few days from AGON listings!

RCDAVE

Feb 15, 2012
Thanks for the replies guys. It seems like I've made some good choices. Hopefully I can go into Portland some day soon for some listening. One dealer down there carries 3 or 4 of my choices, so hopefully I can listen to all of them(preferably in my home)and make sure I buy the right one. Judging by the reviews (I know bad idea) the Roksan seems like it might fit me the best. The Simaudio gets rave reviews, but there are many different reports on how it sounds. Some say it's bright and clinical sounding, and some say it has a very warm midrange and that it's almost tube like lol. So we'll see. I've just never seen so many different reports on an amp before.

flez007

Member Sponsor
Aug 31, 2010
Mexico City
Hearing at home will definitely be the best option... good luck!

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
Gary, your own integrated amp is a jewel - but whenever one is listed it moves quickly at the used market - I have noticed some disapperar after a few days from AGON listings!

Yes, but it doesn't have a phono stage, and it will be more than 5 years old by now. I know that there are still a couple of customers who are hunting for one.... so I'm not surprised that they disappear quick :)

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Like you just said Dave, it's all 'bout speakers and ears' matching.

Happy listening trail. :b ...And keep us informed please.

* And Gary is right;
you can choose your own separate phono stage (some great ones for little money).

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Hi Dave,

Would you consider vintage? I'm not a vintage enthusiast but I have heard quite a few that really do more than stand up to the test of time especially with high efficiency speakers.

RCDAVE

Feb 15, 2012
Hey Jack, I have considered vintage gear. I've demoed and owned some vintage gear in the past, and most of them did sound very good. However, I'm looking to "settle down" with an amp for a very long time, so something new with a good warranty would be nice. Over the past ten years or so, I've gone through many different pieces of gear. SS, tubes, separates, integrated, vintage and new. Last year, I went through more gear than I can remember lol, and some of the vintage stuff gave me some fits. Just common stuff like noisy volume pots, replacing caps etc. I know it's to be expected, but I can't do that anymore. So like I said, I just need to settle down with something new, and something that I can enjoy for a long time without worry. I know new stuff can break too, but at least I'd have a warranty, you know?

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Simaudio:
For all MOON products purchased from a MOON Authorized Dealer in the USA or
Canada:

The Standard Warranty is 1 year parts and labour.

Upon receipt of a validated Product Registration (via our website or by
regular mail), the warranty can be extended up to an additional 9 years.

To receive this free-of-charge extended warranty (up to 10 years), the
product must have been purchased new, from a MOON Authorized Dealer. and
registered with us within 30 days of your invoice date.

In all other
cases, the Standard Warranty applies.

For full details on the terms
and conditions of your MOON product's extended warranty, please consult the
documentation and Warranty Statement in your owner's package.

For all
service concerns, please contact your MOON Authorized Dealer.

Make sure to buy from an authorized dealer and to register with Simaudio for the additional 9 -year warranty within 30 days of your invoice.

RCDAVE

Feb 15, 2012
Yeah, I noticed that last night, John. Thanks for the heads up. That would really suck if you didn't notice that. I really hope the Simaudio dealers inform their customers about the warranty details.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Yeah, I noticed that last night, John. Thanks for the heads up. That would really suck if you didn't notice that. I really hope the Simaudio dealers inform their customers about the warranty details.

They also have an upgrade program where by you can purchase a new unit and they give you full value for your old unit. I don't know exactly how it works, but it may be something you wanna discuss with your dealer or fire off an email to Simaudio.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just to make things clear...I am not pushing Simaudio, but the warranty/upgrade program is appealing. Like you said earlier, I wonder if dealers are doing a good job in explaining that to their customers. I know I would.

garylkoh

Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
I don't know if Simaudio has the same problem, but we have a similar policy - register for a free upgrade to a 5 year warranty. Problem is that less than 20% of customers register. Then, years later, they still expect to have things fixed under warranty - and the unit's changed hands twice in the meantime.

RCDAVE

Feb 15, 2012
I honestly think that some people just don't care about a warranty, since so many of us upgrade within six months to a year anyway lol. Not me though. I always look for a good warranty, and good customer service.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing