What would you consider the best outdoor non-gas grill?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
As the title states. What would you consider the best non-gas grill? More importantly, why?

We have many contenders and with spring time approaching [or already here, depending on your location], what would you consider the best outdoor grill?

rblnr

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
Very happy with this, just got done making some chicken using apple wood on it:

http://www.grillsandcookers.com/1000-original-grill.php

Built like a tank using 10ga steel, it's made to last, cleanly designed and maintains temp really well. Couldn't find anything between this and a weber kettle that seemed really worth buying from a build quality standpoint

lasercd

Member Sponsor
Oct 28, 2010
Voorhees, NJ
www.lasercd.com
Rich:

The Komodo Kamado is stunning. I wanted to buy one but I was concerned that my old deck couldn't handle the weight. I bought the Primo Oval XL instead.

Ken Golden

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Ceramic cookers can be quite heavy. I think mine is around 350 pounds or so! But that is nothing compared to our Pizza oven which in its crate was something like 3,000 pounds!!!! :eek:

Back to the topic, I have two instruments here:

1. Weber charcoal grill for fast cooks, large surface area.

2. Grilldome ceramic cooker for slow multi-hour cooking.

Using these for the other is a compromise in my opinion. Nice thing about not using my smoker for high heat cooking means that its grills are a breeze to clean since nothing really gets burnt on it.

The quality of the weber is just incredible. You almost can't destroy them where as the cheap stuff rusts and kills itself :).

richr

Jun 11, 2010
I also use a Weber for everyday grilling. The kamado is used for everything else.

Regarding more work, the kamado takes a little more time to set up but then runs itself. One it's settled in, it will maintain a temperature for hours. The heavy ceramic walls and controlled burning are key. (My cooker weighs almost 600 pounds).

Greg_R

Jan 25, 2012
http://www.komodokamado.com/

This is a bit more than a grill since it can do everything from pizza at 800°F down to 250°F for 12 hours for low and slow barbecue.
I've had mine for 8 years now... it is an exceptional product with excellent support. I just have the 2 main grates and it has provided plenty of cooking surface for my needs. I have cooked pizza & bread and have also smoked cheese... this unit can really do everything. The rotisserie is a great option too... I cook our Thanksgiving turkey using this method and the meat is incredibly tender.

A big plus with thick ceramics (and somewhat with 1/2"+ steel cookers) is their ability to hold a temperature in bad weather (wind, snow, rain, etc.). I can dial in my KK's settings and just leave it, regardless of the weather... no need for fancy blowers, temperature sensors, etc. I do have a temp sensor (Rock Stoker) connected to the internet for peace of mind though (IIRC Amir wrote the HTML interface?).

My other favorite grill is a Breville Smart Grill. It is a great indoor option and can open all the way up to make a griddle. I'm hoping they come out with a set of waffle plates, that would be a great addition to the unit.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing