First meal cooked on my new traeger grill

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Here is what I have been up to today. This actually started yesterday when I made the rub and then rubbed the Boston Butt down and let it sit overnight in the fridge. I put the Butt on my smoker this morning at 7:00 AM. I'm using a combination of Apple Wood and Mesquite pellets.

I made some cole slaw to go with it.

Attachments

• smoked boston bu&#11.jpg
    smoked boston bu&#11.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 528

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Looks great!

We've had a Gator Pit for awhile now. Welcome to the Que party. If you have access to pecan and/or apple, do. Not much pecan here but lots of orchards

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
My family's favorite! Looks wonderful.

I usually start around 9 or 10 at night. By mid morning i pull it off and wrap it in foil and let it sit for a few hours and then pull it for dinner (and sometimes lunch). Slaw is mandatory, especially the vinegar North Carolina style (although my wife goes for the traditional mayonnaise kind). We usually do two or three pieces the size of what you did.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
We usually do two or three pieces the size of what you did.

Same here, Amir. Its almost criminal only doing one at a time.

A few days before we call ahead to BJ's, Sam's club for a couple of cryovac's in making sure they don't cut them all up for the day.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I've never cooked with a pellet cooker.

Do you guys use the same one or different.

Amir I seem to remember you using one of those tall egg shaped slow cookers

I ask only because my gas grill bit the bullet and I am shopping all my possibiities

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Steve
The GatorPit I mentioned is a wood smoker with a firebox that can easily take a # logs up to 10". No pellets. I have an optional lp tank ability to aid in starting. I tried placing a few pics in the gallery in the past without any success.

Years ago we did a lot of research and this is the one we ended up with.

I should add that this unit can also be used to grill with lump.
I'd post a pic but I've crapped on mep's thread enough.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
That was about 10 hours Steve. I think I will cook baby back ribs next. I gave my stainless stell gas grill to the guy who just rebuilt and added on to my deck. I use a Webber kettle grill for all regular grilling.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
I ask only because my gas grill bit the bullet and I am shopping all my possibilities
Hmmm, perhaps you should start a thread on the best grill options. I have some information but I do not want to stray away from the topic of the thread.

Mark, that pork butt looks delicious. What time is dinner? I'll bring the beer. :D

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing