Various tried and true recipes thread...

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
"It" dip

Here's one dip that everybody should try just once. Many folks I know would swear that it wouldn't be the last time you tried it! ;) It's a healthy dip that tastes so good, you will swear that it's very, very unhealthy for you. Basically, this recipe defies all logic that healthy food can't taste good to those who may be used to not eating healthy. I will say this.... at a recent GTG, there were about 6 or 7 dips on one table for chips. The first one to disappear was this dip and nobody was thinking that it was "healthy". They scarfed it down just because of the taste. I do not know where we stumbled upon this recipe so unfortunately I do not know the official name. I do recall one person at the GTG saying that this dip was "it", though. Hence the name.

15.5 ounce can of black beans
9 ounces of canned or frozen corn
1 large tomato, chopped
2 ripe avocados [med to large]
1 lime [juices only]
3 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp cilantro
salt and ground pepper

Combine everything into one bowl, stir until everything is well mixed and refrigerate for 1/2 an hour or more. Don't worry if there are avocado chunks still in the mix, this doesn't need to become like a soup. Sometimes, I'll mix up a little bit after crushing only part of the avocados just so that there are chunks leftover in the mix. Serve with chips and enjoy. The texture and flavors are simply superb.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, Carol. We have always drained the beans for that recipe. The only liquids you want introduced are from the tomato, lime and olive oil. Enjoy!

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom's Braised Root Vegetables with Secret Sauce

3 tablespoons Olive oil
1 Shallot, minced or about a ½ medium onion
1 cup Chicken broth
1 cup Apple cider
2 Bay leaves
1 teaspoon Thyme
1 ½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon pepper
3/4 lb. carrots
3/4 lb. parsnips
1 – 2 turnip root(s)
2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon parsley

Cut all vegetables to about ¼” slices, 45 degree the angle of the cuts on the parsnip and carrots. Put olive oil and shallots (or onion) in Dutch oven** over high heat. Constantly stir until softened and beginning to brown, about 3 minutes.
Add broth, cider, thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Cook for 5 – 7 minutes still on high heat and with lid still off. Add vegetable mixture, cover and drop heat to medium, stirring occasionally until vegetables are tender (or to preference), about 15-20 minutes.
Remove pot from heat. Remove bay leaves. Add mustard, sprinkle dish with parsley, stir and serve.

**Or large heavy pan with tight fitting lid

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom's Sesame Seed Chicken Wings

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sesame, olive or peanut oil (I prefer peanut oil)
4 green onions with tops, finely sliced
1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Dash of pepper
2 1/2 lbs. chicken wings

1 - Take a med. to lg. mixing bowl and combine all of the ingredients except for the wings, mix well.

2 - Add washed and dry patted wings, mixing well

3 - pour everything into a gallon ziplock bag and marinade in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours (or overnight), turning occasionally. Allow chicken to get to room temperature (20-30 min.)

Or you can use the preferred method for step #3....

3 preferred - If you have a food Vac/sealer, pour everything into a bag big enough, vacuum and seal. It'll be ready in 30-40 minutes. Do not refrigerate with this method!

4 - Preheat oven at least 30 min. before placing wings in the oven @ 380 degrees

5 - Discard marinade and place wings on a large cookie sheet or baking pan covered with parchment paper, skin side up.

6 - Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 380 degrees. Turn, bake at 395 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn, bake for 6 to 7 minutes at 425 degrees and enjoy the hell out of 'em!

If done right, the chicken will literally fall off the bone and your taste buds will explode.

Please note that the cooking times are for MY stove. As you know, all stoves vary so play with it and adjust accordingly. The end result should be to die for.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom's Kickin' Cornbread recipe

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Put 1/2 cup oil into a cast iron skillet (8 or 10" skillet will do). Preheat on top of stove med-low or until it starts lightly smoking

Mix 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk cornmeal mix with 2 eggs as best you can in large metal or oven safe bowl

Add approx 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup buttermilk until the mixture is still somewhat thick and gooey

Add extremely HOT water until the texture resembles that of pancake batter (little bit at a time - up to 3/4 cup)

Add the hot, preheated oil from the skillet and stir it in well. It will sizzle

Sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal mix on the bottom of the skillet and pour in mixture...it should sizzle when it hits the pan

Bake until brown and crispy on the edges

NOTE: Feel free to add a touch of honey and jalapeno or whatever else you normally add to your cornbread....just don't let that additions overtake the immense corn flavor of the recipe. Enjoy.

Tom

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom’s Soul Food Green Beans

Ingredients –
2 cans green beans
1 can Campbell’s Golden Mushroom Soup
¼ - ½ cup Minced dried onions (or sautéed onion if you have the time)

1-2 tsp Tony Chachere’s Creole Seasoning (or more if you like spices)
Tsp cornstarch
1 cup Chicken broth

Very simple side dish with flavor that exceeds any expectation. Add all ingredients into a 10” cast iron pan (or equivalent) and heat up on low/med low until it reaches desired consistency. About 30 minutes. Enjoy!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Tom’s Chicken and asparagus stir fry

3 - 4 tbs soy sauce
2 tbs Mirin - (I substituted 1tbs Truvia and Sherry)
1 tbs honey
1/2 tbs ginger
Chicken breasts (2 large or 3 - 4 small) cut into 1/2" pieces
Salt to taste
Oil
Asparagus cut to 2” bite sized pieces
6 garlic cloves
Rice of choice

Start rice (your choice, about 4 servings)

Combine all aromatics in a bowl, set aside.

Pan fry asparagus in a 12” CI or equivalent about 6 minutes on med/medlow stirring constantly with a little bit of oil. After 6 or so minutes, add garlic then empty pan into bowl, set aside. Asparagus should have a bit of crunch. Cook chicken in two batches with a little bit more oil so that you don’t steam it (you want it browned), add salt to taste. Do not overcook chicken, slightly undercook it.

Throw all aromatics, chicken and asparagus into pan, stir constantly over high heat for about a minute. Serve over rice and enjoy.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tom's Kickin' Cornbread recipe

Preheat oven to 450 degrees

Put 1/2 cup oil into a cast iron skillet (8 or 10" skillet will do). Preheat on top of stove med-low or until it starts lightly smoking

Mix 1 1/2 cup Buttermilk cornmeal mix with 2 eggs as best you can in large metal or oven safe bowl

Add approx 1/2 cup to 3/4 cup buttermilk until the mixture is still somewhat thick and gooey

Add extremely HOT water until the texture resembles that of pancake batter (little bit at a time - up to 3/4 cup)

Add the hot, preheated oil from the skillet and stir it in well. It will sizzle

Sprinkle a little bit of cornmeal mix on the bottom of the skillet and pour in mixture...it should sizzle when it hits the pan

Bake until brown and crispy on the edges

NOTE: Feel free to add a touch of honey and jalapeno or whatever else you normally add to your cornbread....just don't let that additions overtake the immense corn flavor of the recipe. Enjoy.

Tom

I've always shied away from making this for basically two reasons. One, I absolutely despise Grits and Polenta (similar but not identical). And two, I don't own a cast-iron skillet. I had one decades ago, but never really saw the need to replace it. Anyway, a few months ago I saw a recipe pop-up on one of my FB feeds for Cornbread. I don't why, but all of a sudden I had the urge to make this, but I wasn't going to buy a cast-iron skillet. So I used a standard coated 9" round cake pan and I made 2 of them. One without sugar (traditional) and one with sugar. I prefer the latter.

Here's how it came out:

Cornbread 1.jpg Cornbread 2.jpg

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Johnny, cooking in a CI pan is not mandatory. Your cornbread looks great!

Skillet cooked corn, steamed broccoli and Montreal steak. That's what was on for dinner tonight.

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing