The Best Recipes for Chicken Wings!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Ok, you want some of my favorite wings that are completely off the beaten path? These are so good, IMO they pave the path for all other wings to follow. They are relatively easy to make and most well stocked kitchens will have most, if not all of the ingredients on hand besides the chicken. Try to make sure that the wings are fresh and not frozen for optimal results.

Tom's Sesame Seed Chicken Wings

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/3 cup water
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons sesame, olive or peanut oil (I prefer peanut oil)
4 green onions with tops, finely sliced
1/2 medium onion, finely sliced
4 fresh garlic cloves, minced
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Dash of pepper
2 1/2 lbs. chicken wings

1 - Take a med. to lg. mixing bowl and combine all of the ingredients except for the wings, mix well.

2 - Add washed and dry patted wings, mixing well.

3 - Pour everything into a 1 gallon size Ziplock bag and marinade in the refrigerator for 2-4 hours (or overnight for better results), turning occasionally. Allow chicken to get to room temperature (30-40 min).

Or you can use the preferred method for step #3....

3 preferred - If you have a food Vac/sealer, pour everything into a bag big enough, vacuum and seal. It'll be ready in 30-40 minutes. Do not refrigerate with this method!

4 - Preheat oven at least 30 min. before placing wings in the oven @ 380 degrees.

5 - Discard marinade and place wings on a large cookie sheet or baking pan covered with parchment paper, skin side up.

6 - Bake uncovered for 30 minutes at 380 degrees. Turn, bake at 395 degrees for 20 minutes. Turn, bake for 6 to 7 minutes at 425 degrees.

Please note; cooking times will change based upon your relation to sea level and the cooking times given are with a conventional oven. When using a convection oven, the cooking times will have to be reduced. Allow the oven to warm up to the next temperature while the wings are still in. The only time the wings are out is when you need to flip them.

If done right, the chicken will literally fall off the bone. The skin will be nice and crispy and the meat will be so, so juicy. Enjoy!

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I'll bite

One that I have used for yrs is not much of a recipe, its more of a process.
These are grilled, its the only way I make wings or smoke them.
Remove tips on wings as it makes the grilling process easier and the result more uniform.
The idea is to crisp them slowly on upper rack to abate flameups

After tips are gone, season with what floats your boat.
garlic/onion powders, diff peppers, paprika, italian seasonings, etc...
Rub this into wings so it tends to stick, I always have throw away gloves hanging aroound.
Drizzle with a little lemon juice, place in a plastic bag and let set about an hr in the frig.
add some inexpensive Italian dressing you got on sale, back in fridge till its time, the longer that day the better, remember upper rack on low. There may be a few initial flare ups when placing but that will quickly die down. One should be able to get them all quite crisp, but moist. Enjoy

Last edited:

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thanks to our new spammer ^^^ for bringing this recipe to my attention.

Tom - I'm going to try this on the weekend, but depending on what fresh wings are available I will remove the tips. Do you coat the baking sheet first or just place the wings on them? And is it essential to use parchment paper?

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, John. Be prepared for a treat! :)

While it may not be essential, I always use parchment paper. With this cooking method, you do not want the skin to stick to the pan and I have been unsuccessful in keeping the wings intact when simply oiling a pan. The parchment paper still sticks to certain wings every once in a while but the parchment paper will allow you to take a spatula and scrape a wing off without too much damage to the skin. The parchment paper also makes cleaning up much easier. Be sure not to forget the step of patting the wings dry before adding them to the marinade.

Tom

GaryProtein

VIP/Donor
Jul 25, 2012
NY
I just saw this one too!

it sounds terrific.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Just picked up a nice 2lb package of fresh air chilled chicken wings and some Sesame Seeds (which I didn't have at hand), so I'm good to go. Hoping to make them tomorrow, which means I'll let them marinate overnight.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Didn't have time to do them yesterday. Just as well since I have company on Saturday. So I got everything ready and they are now in the fridge marinating for 24 hours. (Sealed ziploc bag, of course). This is what it looked like prior to:

IMG_0477.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Tom - The wings turned out wonderful and your recipe is a keeper. :D

mep

Apr 20, 2010
This recipe sounds like a variation on a teriyaki sauce minus a few ingredients and plus adding the sesame seeds. I love chicken teriyaki and beef teriyaki, especially after it has marinated overnight and then cooked on the grill. However, when I think about eating wings, I'm thinking about hot sauce and beer.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
This recipe sounds like a variation on a teriyaki sauce minus a few ingredients and plus adding the sesame seeds. I love chicken teriyaki and beef teriyaki, especially after it has marinated overnight and then cooked on the grill. However, when I think about eating wings, I'm thinking about hot sauce and beer.

As I was putting it together I thought the exact same. This could work with Teriyaki sauce as well. Give it a bit of a sweeter flavour (which I like). However, in its current state they were delicious. The meat fell right of the bone and had a lot of flavour. I had several sauces on the side as well. Plum, Honey Garlic, Buttermilk Ranch, Creamy Garlic. Not that one needed it as the meat was juicy.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
The evidence that the recipe is a winner is that Johnny ate them before taking the "after" shots! :D

rblnr

May 3, 2010
NYC/NJ
This is my favorite at the moment, it's real jerk. Typically I'll make a double batch of the marinade and save half for another time because it's some work to make. Totally worth it though. I grill over a mix of hardwood charcoal and apple wood. One tip, consider gloves when handling the peppers. Fingers were burning for hours after making one particular batch. Not fun!

Ingredients
For jerk marinade:

3 scallions, chopped
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 small onion, chopped
4 to 5 fresh Scotch bonnet or habanero chile, stemmed and seeded
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
2 tablespoons soy sauce
3 tablespoons olive oil
1 1/2 tablespoons salt
1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
2 teaspoons ground allspice
2 teaspoons black pepper
3/4 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon

For chicken:

4 chicken breast halves with skin and bones (3 pounds), halved crosswise
2 1/2 to 3 pounds chicken thighs and drumsticks

Accompaniment: papaya salsa

Preparation

Make marinade:
Blend all marinade ingredients in a blender until smooth.

Marinate and grill chicken:
Divide chicken pieces and marinade between 2 sealable plastic bags. Seal bags, pressing out excess air, then turn bags over several times to distribute marinade. Put bags of chicken in a shallow pan and marinate, chilled, turning once or twice, 1 day.

Let chicken stand at room temperature 1 hour before cooking. Because the jerk marinade can burn easily, the chicken requires slow cooking on the grill, which also helps keep the meat moist.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
The evidence that the recipe is a winner is that Johnny ate them before taking the "after" shots! :D

Now I'm forced to show a pic. I didn't before because they came out bad and was embarrassed to show them. Please be gentle.....

IMG_0486.jpg IMG_0487.jpg

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Oops...forgot to downsize them. LOL!

mep

Apr 20, 2010
All that matters is that they tasted good and you and your friends enjoyed them.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
Hello, John and thanks for giving this recipe a try. :)

Hmmm, these came out much darker and looking somewhat burnt compared to how mine usually turn out. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the wings were not in the middle rack....or, your oven runs hotter than mine. I really can't be sure as I have not had a batch ever turn out like this one, John. The skin should end up crispy and with a golden yellow-brown color and the meat will at times fall off the bone when you pick them up. I'm glad you and your friends liked them but I would like to figure out what went wrong with these. It can't be the difference in the method between step #3 and step #3 preferred as I have prepared this recipe both ways and the only difference there was that the #3 preferred method came out with an overall tastier end result but it had negligible effect on the skin or color.

I will ask of you this, did you like them well enough to try this recipe again?

Thanks so much for the new recipe, rblnr. I'll have to give that a whirl. ;)

Tom

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Hello, John and thanks for giving this recipe a try. :)

Hmmm, these came out much darker and looking somewhat burnt compared to how mine usually turn out. The only thing I can think of is that perhaps the wings were not in the middle rack....or, your oven runs hotter than mine. I really can't be sure as I have not had a batch ever turn out like this one, John. The skin should end up crispy and with a golden yellow-brown color and the meat will at times fall off the bone when you pick them up. I'm glad you and your friends liked them but I would like to figure out what went wrong with these. It can't be the difference in the method between step #3 and step #3 preferred as I have prepared this recipe both ways and the only difference there was that the #3 preferred method came out with an overall tastier end result but it had negligible effect on the skin or color.

I will ask of you this, did you like them well enough to try this recipe again?

Thanks so much for the new recipe, rblnr. I'll have to give that a whirl. ;)

Tom

Hi Tom,

Although it looks like they were burnt (which is why I didn't really want to show the pics), they were NOT. The marinade was quite thick and siropy and what you see is the soy sauce. I took them out of the Ziploc bag and placed them on the cookie sheet, when I think I should probably have let them drain slightly through a colander. Because of this (IMO) they also didn't turn out as crisp as what you say they should, but I'm ok with that.

I followed your recipe EXACTLY, and yes, they were on the middle rack. My stove is older so I may have to increase the temps next time, and I'll do that. The bottom line is that they were very tasty, moist/juicy, tender as can be.

EDIT: What kind of Soy Sauce do you use? If there are various types, perhaps the Chinese Soy I used is too dark and thick for cooking with. I don't know.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
I have never heard of "thick" soy sauce. Of course now, I have to use pure soy sauce because my wife has celiac disease and regular soy sauce has gluten in it.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing