Any cyclists here?

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Thanks on the frame! It is hard to rely on delivery dates, but I waited 6 months for my Transition Spur and it showed up within 2 weeks of it's scheduled date.

Consider the circumstances required to force Wayne Stetina to end his nearly 40 year career with Shimano US.

Consider the impossible circumstances that forged agreements allowing prodding him to begin immediately with SRAM. :oops:

Until now, my only relationship with SRAM had been in dealing with lawsuits!

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
I remember when I lived there. Spent more time in the car getting there and back than on the trail. Now I have single track at the end of my street and two great mtn bike parks within a 20 min drive.

Yeah I feel very fortunate that I can get onto single track at the end of my road and 10 mins to a decent U.K. trail centre.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Nice! I have an Enduro bike too. I was scheduled to do 4 races in 2020 but then covid hit... I'll likely do a few this summer though.

I ordered a new frame as I have so many old parts around I can sell the Specialized and make a profit, now's a good time to sell bikes. I went for a Transition Spire, which weighs a few lbs less then the Spec Enduro, should be a bit more versatile. It'll be here March-April, I hope it fits and performs a lot like a larger version of my Transition Spur.

Nice Dave. I am not a talented mountain biker at all. I am just not built for it - much more naturally designed for very short burst strength sports unfortunately. That said I really love mountain biking and the cardio does me serious good. Also I find it massively clears my brain out.

Enjoy.

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I remember when I lived there. Spent more time in the car getting there and back than on the trail. Now I have single track at the end of my street and two great mtn bike parks within a 20 min drive.
I live at the foothills. I ride my bike from my garage to the trail heads. But I know what you mean. There are many valid reasons NOT to live here!

Reactions: christoph

Uk Paul

Member Sponsor
Sep 27, 2012
UK
Great stories and rides / bikes here, just read 17 pages in one hit which is a first for me! You guys in the US certainly do have some amazing trails and scenery to explore and it appears that you may not see any other folk for some time in doing so; that makes me very envious!

My bikes are all fairly old in comparison with some of these, but I wouldn't change them for anything else right now, they all ride and fit / feel part of me which is all I ask of them. The old mtb (Defride will recognise this..) has done many 1000's of miles, bought new in 1993, still on original wheels, bars, seatpost and believe it or not shifters, the rest wore out several times over the years. It didn't get used for maybe 10 years when the road bikes took preference, but I have been using it as a commuter and for holidays with Mrs, it feels like a relic but it gets attention from the retro guys out there, and still goes pretty quick on dry single-track.. The front is too low because the fork dampers had perished but thankfully I did manage to source some replacements from a small co in Idaho which work a treat, so now there's probably 2.5" travel when needed.. I still love the Joe Murray frame, and it's so amusing when local roadies blank me on this..!:D

Road bikes; my early ones are long gone but these I will never part with, Fondriest Don Racer U107 and Felt AR1. Both run Campagnolo record, 10 & 11sp respectively. The Fondriest has done several Etape Du Tour in the Pyrenees and the Marmotte in the Alps, back when I was riding a lot, all serious rides and a lot of fun, even the Marmotte arriving at Alp d'Huez feeling like a tour rider :D This is superlight, just under 7kg, luckily I was well within it's weight limit as it was built for climbing by lightweight riders, so Iirc the limit was 80kg max, back then I was around 65kg. I plan to swap out the chainset from Rotor to Campag at some point. Wheels are Tubs, DV46, brakes are those Ciamillo's, thankfully they worked well as that's one area not to mess with when riding a lot in the Alps and Pyrenees..:oops:

This Felt AR1 I built around 10 years ago, all record, and just rides so nicely, comes in at 8kg.
Longest rides were 210 miles over 2 days, day 1 was 120, day 2 90, average 20.4 mph through and off. Maybe one day I'll get back to that sort of thing..

My first accent of the Gailibier with my gf in 1999 I believe, still a monument having done it 4 times 2 from each side, Valoire ascent being the toughest. Easy to pass cars on the descent to the Lauteret which was always fun.

I use my TT bike indoors now, another Felt, B2, running a Tacx Flux 2. Wheels were different when testing of course, I was never great always 1/3rd to half way down which was fine when the Yates family were dominating..

Sorry to bore you all, nice to talk non audio sometimes!

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
Just had my bikes serviced by Scott Hamlin of Stuntman Mechanix.

1000 Watt beach/hills electric bike, plus a ~25 year old bike Scott appeared to love (as I do, in fact). They don't make them like they used to, says Scott.

Here's Scott riding in Cardiff below my bike pics. Well worth a watch. As an ex ultra keen skateboarder, we got on really well with each other despite a huge age gap.

I also own a DualTron electric scooter, which is bags of fun.

IMG-20211214-WA0004.jpg IMG-20211214-WA0003.jpg
IMG-20211216-WA0000.jpg

bonzo75

Member Sponsor
Feb 26, 2014
London
Just had my bikes serviced by Scott Hamlin of Stuntman Mechanix.

1000 Watt beach/hills electric bike, plus a ~25 year old bike Scott appeared to love (as I do, in fact). They don't make them like they used to, says Scott.

Here's Scott riding in Cardiff below my bike pics. Well worth a watch. As an ex ultra keen skateboarder, we got on really well with each other despite a huge age gap.

I also own a DualTron electric scooter, which is bags of fun.

View attachment 87808

you are modding your bikes too?

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
What's the rear fender you've got there? I would like something just like it.
It came with the bike. I have actually removed it in favour of a rear bike rack, which also acts as a mud guard.

It's nothing special TBH but it looked cool.

Zero000

Jul 28, 2014
you are modding your bikes too?
The electric bike was a gamble. Bought from a Belgium seller on eBay, it was actually dispatched from Prague and came in via Germany.

But it's Chinese. Electric bikes with decent specs cost a fortune here. The gamble didn't quite play off purely because the bike was badly set up. Scott said whoever did it was clueless.

But it is a good bike. I've done 170 odd miles on it now. Mods were to make the braking UK spec i.e. left brake is the rear brake, re-route the cabling inside the frame where it should have been in the first place, and upgrade the rear hydraulic brake to a new one the seller supplied as the original was leaking mineral oil.

It'll comfortably do over 30mph without peddling on the flat. Next mod is to change the front sprocket to a 60 tooth. With that I reckon over 40mph peddling again on the flat.

Great fun in the hills and beaches around here. Range is quite astonishing on a single charge.

The red bike I wouldn't want to change. It just had the front wheel spokes tightened and some work done on the gears.

Pics from a trip through Weston-super-mare and onto Brean just before Xmas.

IMG_20211218_142505.jpg IMG_20211218_144008.jpg IMG_20211218_142839.jpg

Reactions: bazelio and Uk Paul

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Nice Dave. I am not a talented mountain biker at all. I am just not built for it - much more naturally designed for very short burst strength sports unfortunately. That said I really love mountain biking and the cardio does me serious good. Also I find it massively clears my brain out.

Enjoy.

Yeah, I'm not that great either... when I started mtb in the early 2000s I was a total hack, not a natural at all. I was also out of shape and like you I'm better at short bursts of strength, which is great for cleaning short technical climbs on a mtb but it's a disadvantage everywhere else. I think it's a blessing in disguise though, it's all about the journey and having no skills and the opposite body type to be ideal for cycling extends that journey to be much longer than skinny folks with skills.

I also agree it clears the mind, there are many positive aspects to mtb both physical and mental. Even crashing and injury has it's positive aspects. In the end we're just playing with toys in the woods like overgrown kids though, it's a nice change from being a "responsible adult". :)

Last edited:

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
I love cycling. Maybe more than a8dio. In cycling season I rode 7days a week. Wednesday was an amateur race. Saturday was a long group ride. My favorite trals were Rock Creek to George Washington's home in Mt. Vernon Va. East Potomac Park to Leesburg Va. via the W O & D trail. East Potomac Park to Rockville,MD via Rock Park way. This passed the Old Pierce Mill Mill and the National Zoo.
Those days are gone. I still ride to the store and around the neighborhood . I thought about a Pelton style bike. I expect electric bikes will come down in price.

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Some-time cyclist here. Mostly of the urban warrior, commuter variety, with some mountain biking and road cycling for fun now and then. There are some okay MTB single-track spots around Chicago (Wisconsin and Michigan mostly, with some decent stuff in Indiana), but pretty much all of it, of course, you have to drive to, and I don't own a car by choice. (Walk score, keeping down my carbon footprint, etc.) Instead, I've got a couple of commute bikes: a hacked together single-speed with an 80s Trek steel frame and an old Scapin (which I'm told one doesn't seem much of in the US). Neither are anything special, but have seen lots of miles.

@User211 @Uk Paul Looking forward, in my upcoming move to London, to being able to train to various good road and MTB spots. I'm not expecting California or Colorado or Utah-level stuff, but some cursory web research suggests there a lot of nice rides to be had striking out in various directions from London. Maybe a few good overnights to be done, too. I'm also told that one can also just do big loops starting in the city and get out to some quiet country lanes without too much trouble, but I haven't taken the time to map any of that yet.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Some-time cyclist here. Mostly of the urban warrior, commuter variety, with some mountain biking and road cycling for fun now and then. There are some okay MTB single-track spots around Chicago (Wisconsin and Michigan mostly, with some decent stuff in Indiana), but pretty much all of it, of course, you have to drive to, and I don't own a car by choice. (Walk score, keeping down my carbon footprint, etc.) Instead, I've got a couple of commute bikes: a hacked together single-speed with an 80s Trek steel frame and an old Scapin (which I'm told one doesn't seem much of in the US). Neither are anything special, but have seen lots of miles.

@User211 @Uk Paul Looking forward, in my upcoming move to London, to being able to train to various good road and MTB spots. I'm not expecting California or Colorado or Utah-level stuff, but some cursory web research suggests there a lot of nice rides to be had striking out in various directions from London. Maybe a few good overnights to be done, too. I'm also told that one can also just do big loops starting in the city and get out to some quiet country lanes without too much trouble, but I haven't taken the time to map any of that yet.

If you decide to do overnight - you must check out Bike Park Wales. Also the Surrey Hills. Also Forest of Dean.

Reactions: Uk Paul and wbass

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
If you decide to do overnight - you must check out Bike Park Wales. Also the Surrey Hills. Also Forest of Dean.
Wonderful. Thanks for the tips. I'm wondering how much solitude you can get in spots like these, or if they're pretty heavily enjoyed. Wouldn't turn me off, except for MTB. Just curious.

Audiophile Bill

Mar 23, 2015
Wonderful. Thanks for the tips. I'm wondering how much solitude you can get in spots like these, or if they're pretty heavily enjoyed. Wouldn't turn me off, except for MTB. Just curious.

Depends on time of year and day of week to a degree. There is lots of peace to be had if you want it.

Reactions: wbass

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Looking forward, in my upcoming move to London, to being able to train to various good road and MTB spots.

TT TT TT TT and more TT until you can almost keep up with the lowest category youth or senior participants sedate rolling out pace. I cannot overstate fanaticism for the race of truth. :)

SS 80's Trek steel road bike with full fenders is a solid choice for inner city riding. Done quite a bit of single track on one as well. For more ambitious riding outside the city you'd do well to secure something multiple kilos lighter and stiffer with lots of robust braze-ons. Trust me when I say the US idea of an impassable road in the salt belt is pristine compared to what you will face in the UK.

Reactions: wbass

wbass

Jul 12, 2020
Right on. Thanks for the tips. I should've said "take the train to." Not that I'm opposed to training, but not so much into racing at the moment. Though who knows!

Yeah, after the move, thinking of treating myself to a new bike, probably a gravel bike that can do all sorts of surfaces and carry some cargo.

And will likely bring the old Trek for knocking about the city. Good enough for a fun ride, not so fancy it'll be a theft target. Somehow, in both Chicago and SF, I've never had a bike stolen, but, then, I heavy lock and chain pretty religiously.

Reactions: rando

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing