Any cyclists here?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
Great ride this past weekend, furthest I've ridden, 135 miles in just over 7 hrs, up into the Cotswolds UK. Very different effort to the one posted by Atmasphere!

Here through Lower Slaughter.

Cotswolds ride.JPG

bazelio

Sep 26, 2016
California
I have an elliptical on my Bearclaw, I like it.
I've had a couple rides with mine now. TBH, I'm not finding there to be any advantage in terms of riding. I feel like it's giving my legs an increased workout, though. I probably won't put one on my new bike, when I build it. What do you like about it?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
View attachment 81304 Rolling Mountain Pass looking south on the Colorado Trail. My Jones Plus LWB Ti is on the left... View attachment 81305 Its equipped with a Rohloff and belt drive.

Nice bike and nice scenery!

I recently got a Transition Spur as my epic / CO Trail bike, but I haven't made it down to the Silverton / Durango area yet. Looks amazing! I'll have to take some pics of the new Spur soon. It's a <28 lb rocket of a bike!

A friend makes these mtb vids and has been riding in that area recently, there are several vids on YT that make me want to ride! Here's one from Molas Pass... Nate is an amazing rider and most of the folks he films are too.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've had a couple rides with mine now. TBH, I'm not finding there to be any advantage in terms of riding. I feel like it's giving my legs an increased workout, though. I probably won't put one on my new bike, when I build it. What do you like about it?

I have used exclusively oval rings for many years now, but I might not for road use... IDK as I never ride on the road, but I can say they put power down more smoothly and make you less likely to lose traction when climbing rough/loose trail. IME that's their main advantage and other than that I don't really notice it much.

A friend tried one and liked it for climbing tech but didn't like the feel on smooth trail so he went back to round. It's really a personal preference thing for the most part.

Reactions: bazelio and MPS

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

I recently got a Transition Spur as my epic / CO Trail bike, but I haven't made it down to the Silverton / Durango area yet. Looks amazing! I'll have to take some pics of the new Spur soon. It's a <28 lb rocket of a bike!

A friend makes these mtb vids and has been riding in that area recently, there are several vids on YT that make me want to ride! Here's one from Molas Pass... Nate is an amazing rider and most of the folks he films are too.

Great riding, nice scenery. I didn’t see the part where they earned the downhill by first climbing all the way up. Motorized up, gravity down? Blasphemy!

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Great riding, nice scenery. I didn’t see the part where they earned the downhill by first climbing all the way up. Motorized up, gravity down? Blasphemy!

Nate is one of the fittest humans on the planet, he climbs but doesn't show it on video.

Reactions: Bobvin

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com

So nice when you don't have to carry everything on the bike! I have to admit I lost my nerve a few times doing some of those traverses where there's mountain on one side and nothing on the other... Molas.jpg This is just south of the Molas traverse; the Molas Pass is a bit different in that you go around the mountain rather than between two mountains; its just south of some of that video in your link. Note the clouds- Colorado was having quite a bit of monsoon activity. On this particular day the storms really broke just north of Silverton and the streets had quite a bit of water running in them. One of the roads out of town had a mudslide and so there were more people in town than normal.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
You can't really get to anywhere on that segment of the CT where you can just ride down. The main starting point is probably the parking lot near Molas Lake and then you ride up from there. But trust me on this, there is plenty of downhill to be found on that segment of the CT no matter which way you are going. There's also a fair amount of Hike-A-Bike (HAB) but that really depends a lot on your fitness, skill level and how acclimatized you are to the elevation.

Reactions: rando

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
You can't really get to anywhere on that segment of the CT where you can just ride down. The main starting point is probably the parking lot near Molas Lake and then you ride up from there. But trust me on this, there is plenty of downhill to be found on that segment of the CT no matter which way you are going. There's also a fair amount of Hike-A-Bike (HAB) but that really depends a lot on your fitness, skill level and how acclimatized you are to the elevation.
Sadly, I'm not in riding shape this season. It would be hike-a-take-a-nap for me.

The fires last year burned my favorite training area, and it has not reopened yet. And my wife keeps finding new chores for me to do so I'm good for moderate rides only. The altitude would spank me around pretty good I'm afraid.

Reactions: rando

djsina2

May 30, 2019
I feel it makes it smoother with no dead spot. I don’t notice any additional effort.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Sadly, I'm not in riding shape this season. It would be hike-a-take-a-nap for me.

The fires last year burned my favorite training area, and it has not reopened yet. And my wife keeps finding new chores for me to do so I'm good for moderate rides only. The altitude would spank me around pretty good I'm afraid.

With slight variations here and there you nailed it.

Actually taken to riding around doing errands on a French 70's steel city bike with Dutch style parallel bars. Draws lots of comments and snickering, as you could imagine. Whole families stopping to laugh at the guy on a ladies bike and the like. :D

Nowhere near the amount of vitriol lycra and a race bike produce. o_O

Reactions: Bobvin

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
With slight variations here and there you nailed it.

Actually taken to riding around doing errands on a French 70's steel city bike with Dutch style parallel bars. Draws lots of comments and snickering, as you could imagine. Whole families stopping to laugh at the guy on a ladies bike and the like. :D

Nowhere near the amount of vitriol lycra and a race bike produce. o_O
Hey if you have to use a step thru because you have hip problems or something, whatever gets you on the bike is all good.

Tim Link

Feb 12, 2019
I have to admit I lost my nerve a few times doing some of those traverses where there's mountain on one side and nothing on the other...
I had nightmares for weeks after riding up a trail like that and realizing it was too narrow to turn around and I couldn't slow down without getting wobbly and possibly going over the edge. It was a great adrenaline inspired workout.

• Wow
Reactions: christoph

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Hey if you have to use a step thru because you have hip problems or something, whatever gets you on the bike is all good.

LOL, nothing like any of that. I'll send you a message.

Old photo of the 70's French bike with no changes other than adding a 150mm Nitto quill stem. After some thought I wasn't quite ready for the Lemond Dutch e-bike mentioned earlier in this discussion. Mainly because unassisted this feels stable enough around 40 mph for my needs when they extend that far.

IMG_9751.JPG

Reactions: christoph

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Just passing a group of riders on $10,000 carbon fibre race bikes and im only in 2nd gear...been collecting muscle bikes from the 60,s for 28 years

Not sure how I missed this yesterday.

That is about the face of it right there. Rabble engaged in a scrabble over non-existent stock of tortuously styled carbon or WOOM bikes for their kids. Missing the entire point.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing