Any cyclists here?

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Principality of Liechtenstein
That's a nice ride, Christoph! I'll have one eventually... ;)

I'd consider getting a coil shock for it, and I've been really liking the Michelin Wild Enduro tires with cush core inserts as well. Many resist the inserts, but once you try them there's no going back! It allows for a significant reduction in pressure and greater reliability.

Thanks, Dave. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it :p

I really love my brand new bike. I got it even before it was on the Trek webpage :eek:
This my forth e-bike and the third fully e-mtb.
Everyone I offered a ride bought one afterwards ;)

Sorry, I don't know what coil shock means. And what are cush core inserts? :oops:

I drive my original issue tires tubeless with milk.
This is the best breakdown insurance I experienced so far :cool:

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks, Dave. I'm sure you will have a lot of fun with it :p

I really love my brand new bike. I got it even before it was on the Trek webpage :eek:
This my forth e-bike and the third fully e-mtb.
Everyone I offered a ride bought one afterwards ;)

Sorry, I don't know what coil shock means. And what are cush core inserts? :oops:

I drive my original issue tires tubeless with milk.
This is the best breakdown insurance I experienced so far :cool:

Here's the shock I'd consider, a Fox DHX2 coil would work well too if the Storia is hard to get.

http://www.extremeshox.com/product/ext-storia-lok-v3-enduro-racing/

Agreed on tire sealant, these are the inserts I'm talking about, you use sealant with the inserts for many reasons... lower pressures, pinch flat protection, keeps the tire from "burping" air or coming off the rim, even if you get a flat. They can be a PITA to learn how to install, I'd get the Cush Core tire tool too.

https://www.cushcore.com/

Reactions: christoph

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Here's the shock I'd consider, a Fox DHX2 coil would work well too if the Storia is hard to get.

http://www.extremeshox.com/product/ext-storia-lok-v3-enduro-racing/

Agreed on tire sealant, these are the inserts I'm talking about, you use sealant with the inserts for many reasons... lower pressures, pinch flat protection, keeps the tire from "burping" air or coming off the rim, even if you get a flat. They can be a PITA to learn how to install, I'd get the Cush Core tire tool too.

https://www.cushcore.com/

Thanks, Dave for the interesting infos but this is all pro stuff and I am an old hobbyist fart that is already more than adequately (over-)equipped for my needs :oops:

Last edited:
Reactions: DaveC

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Thanks, Dave for the interesting infos but this is all pro stuff and I am an old hobbyist fart that is already more than adequate (over-)equipped for my needs :oops:

Understood, those parts will also make for a much softer and more compliant ride as well... I'm not young anymore either, so I want a plush ride that makes up for my poor technique. ;)

Here's two more, they do a lot to compensate for any hand pain:

https://www.oneupcomponents.com/products/carbon-bar

https://revgrips.com/

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Understood, those parts will also make for a much softer and more compliant ride as well... I'm not young anymore either, so I want a plush ride that makes up for my poor technique. ;)

This is my baby: Trek Rail 9 2021
https://www.trekbikes.com/ch/de_CH/...es/rail/rail-9/p/32819/?colorCode=orange_grey
I just realized it is still not on the US webpage yet :rolleyes:
And it rides soo much smoother than my 2018 Trek Powerfly FS 9 LT Plus I had before :cool:

20200809_194648.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: MPS and DaveC

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com

I've found that the solution to hand pain starts with the pedals. Most people have their feet too far back on the pedals making it difficult to get the fit right so you don't have hand problems. This is my 'secret' weapon, the Catalyst pedal:

http://pedalinginnovations.com/

You can see them in the photo I posted earlier.

The other issue of course is the seat- I usually start with the nose slightly up, as that takes weight off of the hands. This seems to work, in riding a mountain bike over 2700 miles, not so much as a tingle out of my hands.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I've found that the solution to hand pain starts with the pedals. Most people have their feet too far back on the pedals making it difficult to get the fit right so you don't have hand problems. This is my 'secret' weapon, the Catalyst pedal:

http://pedalinginnovations.com/

You can see them in the photo I posted earlier.

The other issue of course is the seat- I usually start with the nose slightly up, as that takes weight off of the hands. This seems to work, in riding a mountain bike over 2700 miles, not so much as a tingle out of my hands.

Agreed, I like the pedals but don't like the thickness and blocky leading edge, I told James I wouldn't buy them until he revises the design a bit... surprisingly, he didn't agree, but it's a main design element in a lot of new pedals. The OneUp pedals are much better as far as rock clearance and this is a priority for me as catching a pedal is one of the worst ways to crash. Most flat pedals encourage a more foot-forward position vs clipless as well.

On hand pain, there are 2 main causes, one is riding position the other is vibration and impact. My suggestions only address the latter, as that's been my main issue with enduro dh type racing. I'd get inflammation in random finger joints, the OneUp bars + Rev grips solved that issue. 170mm travel + a coil shock and cush core help with making the ride a bit plusher and less fatiguing overall too.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Agreed, I like the pedals but don't like the thickness and blocky leading edge, I told James I wouldn't buy them until he revises the design a bit... surprisingly, he didn't agree, but it's a main design element in a lot of new pedals. The OneUp pedals are much better as far as rock clearance and this is a priority for me as catching a pedal is one of the worst ways to crash. Most flat pedals encourage a more foot-forward position vs clipless as well.

I ride the Catalyst on most of my bikes- its not really that thick. It you're going to catch on a rock with them, you'd do that on almost any other pedal as well. The OneUp is nice, but it does not support the arch so you can't make as much power. Most racers I know using clipless move the cleats as far back as their shoes will allow- this can make a huge difference in hand pain once the other fit issues are sorted. That is where I started and when I found out about the Catalysts, I tried them with a fair amount of skepticism. Actually the biggest issue with them is you may have issues on some bikes (depending on the geometry) with the front wheel on turns at low speed.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Yeah, I'm familiar with the new Rail, it's an amazing bike for sure, at the very top of the heap. The new ZEB fork is awesome too. Enjoy!
Thanks

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I ride the Catalyst on most of my bikes- its not really that thick. It you're going to catch on a rock with them, you'd do that on almost any other pedal as well. The OneUp is nice, but it does not support the arch so you can't make as much power. Most racers I know using clipless move the cleats as far back as their shoes will allow- this can make a huge difference in hand pain once the other fit issues are sorted. That is where I started and when I found out about the Catalysts, I tried them with a fair amount of skepticism. Actually the biggest issue with them is you may have issues on some bikes (depending on the geometry) with the front wheel on turns at low speed.

Every mm makes a big difference on the crank length and pedal thickness, to the point 5mm is a massive difference.

I don't agree on the OneUp pedals, there's no real correlation between power and pedal choice, even clips vs flats is inconclusive.

I like the catalyst pedal design, but as I said, catching a pedal at high speed is the worst, you have NO chance to react, you're hugging the earth before you even realize something isn't right... at this point in my life avoiding such incidents is top priority.

Atmasphere

Industry Expert
May 4, 2010
St. Paul, MN
www.atma-sphere.com
Every mm makes a big difference on the crank length and pedal thickness, to the point 5mm is a massive difference.

I don't agree on the OneUp pedals, there's no real correlation between power and pedal choice, even clips vs flats is inconclusive.

I like the catalyst pedal design, but as I said, catching a pedal at high speed is the worst, you have NO chance to react, you're hugging the earth before you even realize something isn't right... at this point in my life avoiding such incidents is top priority.

I totally get that!

I've learned to run shorter cranks- 170mm is the most I can do and I often run 165mm. Much easier on the knees! I've seen many racers burn out by the time they make Montana (from Banff, on the Tour Divide route, that's about 200 miles down the route) simply because they were running 175mm cranks that so many bike companies put on their mountain bikes. This particularly affects women that tend to be a bit shorter. That extra 5mm must be saving me :)

I agree about the clips vs flats thing. I see it as a safety issue; in my case, flats, as I want to be able to get my foot off the pedal instantly should I come to a stop. It hurts when you fall over!

The thing that allows you more power with the Catalyst is simply how you can push down on the pedal with different muscle groups. Its a bit closer to how it works when you're standing on the pedals- your cadence winds up being slightly slower (but not as slow as when you are actually standing) but you can make more torque.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I just realized it is still not on the us webpage yet :rolleyes:

Trek's focus domestically is firmly on their battle with Specialized. A glance at the US webpage highlights what products they actually try to sell here. Mainly branded accessories.

I've little doubt you are respectful and enjoy riding them with no 'pro' parts added. Europe has proven itself a very friendly climate for e-bikes. Thank you for posting about your ongoing history with them and adding a photo of your new bike. :D

rando

Sep 22, 2019
This is my Jones Plus LWB Ti. 29+ tires 2.8" wide, carbon rims and carbon Jones bars, shown here in full race dress for the 2019 Tour Divide Race.

Well that'll put a stop to posting by any young EPIC gravel riders that happen by here!

Then Bobvin pulls out his Jones. I have to say this part of the forum is much more exciting than I ever expected.

rando

Sep 22, 2019
Always wanted a Cervelo growing up, not sure if they are good anymore.

They were not good at being bikes. They were also not very well manufactured. Marketing and market presence was their forte. Vroomen and White's partnership united two very good businessmen. I'd suggest staying away from GV's OPEN cycles as well.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I totally get that!

I've learned to run shorter cranks- 170mm is the most I can do and I often run 165mm. Much easier on the knees! I've seen many racers burn out by the time they make Montana (from Banff, on the Tour Divide route, that's about 200 miles down the route) simply because they were running 175mm cranks that so many bike companies put on their mountain bikes. This particularly affects women that tend to be a bit shorter. That extra 5mm must be saving me :)

I agree about the clips vs flats thing. I see it as a safety issue; in my case, flats, as I want to be able to get my foot off the pedal instantly should I come to a stop. It hurts when you fall over!

The thing that allows you more power with the Catalyst is simply how you can push down on the pedal with different muscle groups. Its a bit closer to how it works when you're standing on the pedals- your cadence winds up being slightly slower (but not as slow as when you are actually standing) but you can make more torque.

Agreed on cranks... manufacturers are moving to shorter cranks, 170 is common on many bikes now. I use 165s + the thinnest pedals that work for me.

On foot position I like to put my foot further forward when it's flat or uphill, but even going dh the pedal axle is significantly behind the ball of my foot. I think many riders on flats have a more foot forward position vs clips, as clip shoes are typically stiffer and it doesn't matter as much, but even then shoe mfg'ers are moving the cleat back a bit. I think James who makes the Catalyst pedals is right, I just feel really strongly about the pedal shape and thickness, back in the day when most pedals were thick and chunky I caught them on rocks too many times so I'm sure the trauma has a lot to do with my preferences! My preference for rocky and steep trails is also a factor for sure... my bike is 37 lbs, it's heavily biased towards going down.

christoph

Dec 11, 2015
Trek's focus domestically is firmly on their battle with Specialized. A glance at the US webpage highlights what products they actually try to sell here. Mainly branded accessories.

The Rail 9 was also in Europe the last 2021 e-mtb to show up on the Webpages.
I got mine weeks before it showed on the Webpage :cool:
On the other hand. There is no 2021 Rail 7 available for my wife before January.
Obviously all sold out... :eek:

I've little doubt you are respectful and enjoy riding them with no 'pro' parts added. Europe has proven itself a very friendly climate for e-bikes.
I guess the parts on my Rail 9 are already top notch and to go higher would make the package even much more expensive than it already is :oops:

It is about mutual respect but I have to admit there are proper A-holes in every "camp".
That makes it even more important to be overly polite and considerate to be a "good example" :rolleyes:

Thank you for posting about your ongoing history with them and adding a photo of your new bike. :D

I came to Trek more by luck because I had other brands in mind (and little clue back then) but when I wanted to trade in my Aprilia SXV 550 Supermoto for 2 e-mtbs I came to "my" Trek dealer :cool:

In the meantime I love Trek and especially my dealer who has absolutely excellent service.
I bought 5 e-bikes there for my wife and me and I brought him at least 8 new customers :D

The aforementioned Aprilia Supermoto:

20151009_141116.jpg

rando

Sep 22, 2019
The Rail 9 was also in Europe the last 2021 e-mtb to show up on the Webpages.
I got mine weeks before it showed on the Webpage :cool:
On the other hand. There is no 2021 Rail 7 available for my wife before January.
Obviously all sold out... :eek:

Delaying mass awareness through online catalogs and splashy product release announcements because the ration line is already too long is a near complete reversal. They may yet resort to building bikes by hand in Wisconsin (again) out of necessity. o_O

So you can add being laughed out of your dealer for asking to get a crash replacement frame to your list of reasons to be respectable. Or detune it with aftermarket "pro*" parts. :p

*As opposed to consumer ones that spice up a suspension and handling package already leagues over the competence level of average owner. A division thin enough to make borderline funny pokes at humor over.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing