Any cyclists here?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I lived in Boulder back in the early to mid nineties and was into mountain biking then with all the beautiful trails its hard not to be. I hear you Dave about the bike just wants to go faster and faster' the Lynskey is incredibly fast and responds so quickly. Bob that Jones Titanium looks really cool.

Been here since '92... Didn't start mt biking until ~2006 though, I was into skiing and snowboarding before then. It's worked out as it's now too crowded to drive to resorts to ski and modern mt bikes are like having a powder day every time you ride. Boulder OTOH has gotten expensive and isn't the college hippy town it used to be. For better or worse.... the food is definitely better. :) More tech kids than hippys now...

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
I switched from 23s to 25s this past season and was immediately upset with my riding buddies who were already on 25s. Why didn't they tell me sooner?! I plan on trying 28s when spring comes around.

Go as big as your frame will allow. I went to 32mm on my old MERZ which allowed me to run pressure of 85 rear, 75 front. Waaayyyy more comfortable and no loss of speed. Compass Bikes has great tires with supple sidewalls that'll roll as good as Vittoria Open Corsa (maybe a couple more watts if comparing the Vittorias with graphene). https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/700c/ Get the xtra-light casing for the best ride.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Go as big as your frame will allow. I went to 32mm on my old MERZ which allowed me to run pressure of 85 rear, 75 front. Waaayyyy more comfortable and no loss of speed. Compass Bikes has great tires with supple sidewalls that'll roll as good as Vittoria Open Corsa (maybe a couple more watts if comparing the Vittorias with graphene). https://www.compasscycle.com/product-category/components/tires/700c/ Get the xtra-light casing for the best ride.

My Bianchi Infinito CV maxes out at 28 for tire clearance. Thanks for the tip on the tires.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
My Bianchi Infinito CV maxes out at 28 for tire clearance. Thanks for the tip on the tires.

The only caution with Compass tires, they can sometimes grow a little. Generally they come in slightly undersized to allow stretching once mounted and you put a few miles on them.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013

asindc said:

Hi gents,

My next bike will be running Lightweight Gipfelsturms or Meilensteins with tubulars, and their internal rim width is only 17.8mm with an external rim width of 20mm. They say you can run up to 27mm tires, but really, there's going to be only so much tire you can fit safely to the rim, especially when descending, and especially with carbon rims. I'll likely set them up with Veloflex Carbons at 23mm.

Are you running tubulars or clinchers? Which rims?

Best,

853guy

asindc

Sep 27, 2012
Hi gents,

My next bike will be running Lightweight Gipfelsturms or Meilensteins with tubulars, and their internal rim width is only 17.8mm with an external rim width of 20mm. They say you can run up to 27mm tires, but really, there's going to be only so much tire you can fit safely to the rim, especially when descending, and especially with carbon rims. I'll likely set them up with Veloflex Carbons at 23mm.

Are you running tubulars or clinchers? Which rims?

Best,

853guy

I'm running all clinchers, whether it is on my 50mm carbon wheels or my aluminum wheels. I'd like to try tubeless, but I'm wary of tubular, especially on long rides.

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
I'm running all clinchers, whether it is on my 50mm carbon wheels or my aluminum wheels. I'd like to try tubeless, but I'm wary of tubular, especially on long rides.

Hi asindc,

I hear you. I had always run clinchers but when I bought my road bike last to test the waters after a long absence, I went tubular and have zero regrets. Ride quality is great.

For context, I ride mostly hills around where we live, so I'm not doing ultra long rides, and never carry a spare. A lot of guys have blown tires off carbon clinchers where the rim has overheated and deformed when descending, so for a hill junkie like me, clinchers aren't an option. Having said that, I am planning on asking for clearance for up to 28mm on the new bike, and may get a set of alu training/wet weather wheels to run clinchers. But honestly can't see myself going back clinchers full time.

Cheers, asindc...

853guy

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just added a new ride to the stable... decided to go with diamond (vs Spaceframe) because it will take a bigger frame pac.

BD7E7FA7-E498-49F4-B8B1-755D0B4CD259.jpg

Attachments

• B5CCB8CE-6FE4-4B37-A197-65A3FFD8D17E.jpg
    B5CCB8CE-6FE4-4B37-A197-65A3FFD8D17E.jpg
    211.2 KB · Views: 64

853guy

Aug 14, 2013
Just added a new ride to the stable... decided to go with diamond (vs Spaceframe) because it will take a bigger frame pac.

View attachment 39616

Congrats, Bobvin!

Jeff Jones is a true mountain bike hero. He's up there with Chris Chance (I rode a Fat Chance for years) and Gary Fisher as guys who really pushed the idea of what a mountain bike could be. I love the Spaceframe, but totally get why you went with the diamond frame.

Just for interest sake, I tried out a Canyon Spectral CF 9.0 SL this morning, as they happened to have a test day set up 50 meters from our house. I've always ridden steel, 29ers mostly in the last decade or so, and always considered full-suspension unnecessary for the sort of XC/marathon type riding I've traditionally done.

Well, there's nothing like experience to challenge a bunch of stupid assumptions. Yes, early FS bikes sucked. But wow, I was really, really impressed by the Spectral. Responded and handled like a XC bike, felt lively despite the 150mm front end, and I found I could really push the bike hard without even coming close to its limits (at least on the trails I rode). And it's a lot of bike for the money: SRAM X01 Eagle, FOX Factory 34 Float/Float DPS EVOL, DT Swiss XMC 1200 Spline, Maxxis Minion/Rekon 2.6 27.5"... For a full carbon bike it seemed to be plenty stiff in all the right places with no clunks or hollowness, and really well made. And it was just really fun to ride. I think Santa may be coming early this year...

Enjoy the Jones, Bobvin. Looking forward to some epic pics.

Best,

853guy

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Well, there's nothing like experience to challenge a bunch of stupid assumptions. Yes, early FS bikes sucked. But wow, I was really, really impressed by the Spectral. Responded and handled like a XC bike, felt lively despite the 150mm front end, and I found I could really push the bike hard without even coming close to its limits (at least on the trails I rode). And it's a lot of bike for the money: SRAM X01 Eagle, FOX Factory 34 Float/Float DPS EVOL, DT Swiss XMC 1200 Spline, Maxxis Minion/Rekon 2.6 27.5"... For a full carbon bike it seemed to be plenty stiff in all the right places with no clunks or hollowness, and really well made. And it was just really fun to ride. I think Santa may be coming early this year...

Best,

853guy

I doubt you'll regret it. :)

My Trek Slash has been amazing... <30 lbs, 160/150mm travel, extremely efficient. These modern bikes have a super-wide sweet spot and are super-fun to ride as a result. Just be careful as they can allow speeds in excess of what you're used to! I went OTB yesterday after nailing a line I had practiced many times before and entering the next section of trail on a slightly different line and going much faster.

The Spectral is one "level" down from an Enduro race bike, which typically have Fox 36/ or Lyric forks and a very slack head angle. Probably an excellent choice for all around riding.

One thing though, if you're heavier or like to ride rockier trails the Fox 34 might be too flexible. You can get a Fox 36 and reduce it's travel, it is a MUCH stiffer fork that tracks far better vs the Fox 34.

Enduro World Series just started last weekend in Chile, and is now in Columbia... A friend of mine who has been training for years is now on the Yeti team and got top 10! :) I may do a local race or two for motivation...

http://www.enduroworldseries.com/

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA
any thoughts from the cycling contingent on Froome's doping allegations?

I've been trying to read as much as possible on the subject. Seems a grey area for sure.

Sharp 1080

Apr 20, 2010
Dallas,Texas
any thoughts from the cycling contingent on Froome's doping allegations?

I've been trying to read as much as possible on the subject. Seems a grey area for sure.

He should NOT try and ride the TDF or any other grand tours. It seems that the camps are divided as usual. He's not the first to be found with an inhaler. The others were given suspensions and served them. Just another black eye for professional cycling.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Nice mountains gmkf, Niki Terpstra did IT again today.
As i live in Brussel s now the muur van Geraardsbergen Will be on the program soon.
Everybody doped in professional cycling , when i raced Amateur it was there also.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Congrats, Bobvin!

Jeff Jones is a true mountain bike hero. He's up there with Chris Chance (I rode a Fat Chance for years) and Gary Fisher as guys who really pushed the idea of what a mountain bike could be. I love the Spaceframe, but totally get why you went with the diamond frame.
Enjoy the Jones, Bobvin. Looking forward to some epic pics.

Best,

853guy

SpaceFrame is the coolest... I have one on order for my wife. The Jones is definitely a different kind of bike, I expect it will take the better part of the summer to really learn its strengths. I was headed in another direction entirely with respect to a more capable all-round bike, but a friend has had several Jones's and finally convinced me to give them a thorough consideration. Here are a couple links to articles that had the most influence on my decision:

https://nsmb.com/articles/jones-plus-long-term-review/

http://www.bikepacking.com/bikes/jones-plus-review/

And a youtube video... https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=kMkQ7z9Gi7c

A Jones is a lot like going for an SET amp when everyone else is running Solid State.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

GMKF

VIP/Donor
Aug 15, 2017
Munich
What the hell? Is that an e-Bike? Not a purist approach to be sure, but hell, if you're out having fun, its all good!

It doesn't get more fun than mobbin dirt road's at 15mph... I have an old-ish cannondale (with a funky oval shimano gears, that are a pain to get right) race bike that has been hot-roded but after I first rode an e-bike there is no going back, I had to get one...

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Great day for cycling, great for Israël too , as an old kibutznik i was there many times.
May be sports will bond the Middle east

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Pic from a few days ago in Nederland, CO.

Reactions: MPS

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing