Any cyclists here?

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Where was that in Nederland ?

Here's a map, the pic is from the top of overlook trail.

https://www.mtbproject.com/trail/2214487/west-magnolia-tour

The area is just now being "adopted" by the Forest Service. It was all unofficial "social" (illegally built, but unofficially allowed due to too much bureaucracy) trail until recently, but the rules for the forest allow riding anywhere so it is not illegal to ride the trails. After the adoption process is complete riding will only be allowed on designated trails, but there will be massive improvements in existing trails, new trails will be built and many will be for mt bikes only, some will be directional as well. Some poorly built social trail will be closed but the majority will be kept and improved.

Currently, the area is mostly unsigned and most trails are not on maps yet so it is difficult for non-locals to ride and not get lost, people can't find trails and so you see a lot of poor rating for the area, but if a local takes you out you will experience some excellent riding. :)

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Why deserted ?
No more Wood for windmills ?

It's only ~15 miles west of Boulder, CO so definitely not deserted... it's been a small town for decades though. Plenty of wood but no windmills...

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Couple more....

Reactions: Raven

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I bought some new campagnolo WTO 60 carbon wheels and restored my 9,year old race bike during the covid situation .
Bought some special bike tools , i now installed a MFG wheels bottombracket assembly with loctite retaining ¨glue ^¨ so no more bottombracket creak .:)
New cassete / chain / chainrings / jockeywheels etc , runs like new .

My other bike the Trek madone has a problem and is now at the bike shop for repair/ guarantee , something is wrong with the saddle mechanism ( the carbon piece that is supposed to flex inside the vertical tube) :rolleyes:

Trek bike saddle movement .jpg

Last edited:

Macattack

VIP/Donor
Aug 21, 2014
SC Low country
That my dear friends is a Y-foil, the UCI made it illegal and killed sales for the Trek wonderbike. It's a sloppy ride regardless, you bounce up and down, well I should say... your butt does and thus you lose power transfer. I resurrected it for the photo shoot, ride it 100 miles the next day and sold it the following week. I rode real Trek/Lemonds for years prior to riding the Felts. I'm still off the bike for now (bad crash last year) and getting a little American male belt roll. I'll be back though, watch out if you ride in the Phila area! Very few can hold my wheel.
Ever ride in the Lehigh Valley? Lots of strong riders from various Velodrome teams usually ride in the area. (At least they used to).

Many years ago, I hung onto to the wheels of a woman’s group for 20 miles. The fastest 20 miles I ever rode. Slightly over 25 Mph average. They were great and didn’t mind me hanging on. They were from Australia and New Zealand competing and training at the Trexlertown Velodrome over their winter.

chuck

Dec 19, 2011
San Diego
I used to race many years ago. In March I started riding my road bike again practically every day. Since this is a gear forum, the bike is a custom steel aModoMio built by Ben Serotta in 2017, equipped with SRAM Red eTap, rim brakes.

Reactions: rando

rando

Sep 22, 2019
I now installed a Wheels MFG [sic] bottom bracket assembly with loctite retaining ¨glue ^¨ so no more bottombracket creak .

You almost need an engineering degree to decide if the frame as delivered can be fixed to remove BB creak. Green loctite is good stuff, but it can't work miracles. How thoroughly did you go over the new BB interface to see if outer faces are parallel and the bearings don't bind at any point in their rotation with/without preload?

Clearance looks very tight at the chainstay as expected for a bike that age. Which is to say it's merely tight everywhere else. Brit's coined a term that comes to mind watching that video. Very racy!

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
The BB30 is basically an aluminum bushing that sits in the carbon frame with 2 internal circlips and on either side a bearing pressed in .
The bushing is machined in one piece so it should be pretty okay.
I suspect the aluminium from the original design is not a 7075 aluminium alloy like the MFG so the outerrace of the bearing moves a bit in the soft aluminium
bushing causing the creak .
Just shitty design

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I flushed all the old grease out of the bearing while installing the MFG assembly and lubricated the bearing with thin sewing machine oil.
I took one washer out to reduce the preload as it turned slightly difficult in the beginning .
I actually use 243 loctite which is threadlocker from work.
This will never creak again im 100 % sure.
Bikeshops often dont do it properly.
This bike doesnt only look fast ,...
It is fast with those 60 mm deep wheels.
Very stiff carbon wheels no break rub on steep climbs (muur van geraardsbergen belgium:)) and they look awesome.

Reactions: MPS and rando

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
The BB30

Just shitty design

Yep... No getting around it, though some better than others, Trek among the worst and they use their own similar design on some bikes. Mates with with Emonda SLR are plagued with creaks.

Not that I can talk, Cannondale aren't much better, an FSA ceramic didn't last long in mine so I've put an Enduro Torqtite in and so far so good.

Good to see some cyclists on the board

100 km early tomorrow, a lean week this week so raring to go

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
:).

One more thing about those deep rim wheels , i find them.to hold the line much better , much less nervous .
Last year i was in the alps , they feel very secure while descending you just wanna go faster and faster:cool:.

Do you race defride?

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
:).

One more thing about those deep rim wheels , i find them.to hold the line much better , much less nervous .
Last year i was in the alps , they feel very secure while descending you just wanna go faster and faster:cool:.

Do you race defride?

Concur on the latest generation mid-section wheels, 50-60mm seems a sweet spot. I've Vision Metron 55 and they don't get blown around badly, not much worse than my alloy training wheels and as you say they hold a line beautifully and ride fast. That said they're poor in the wet, I think Campag are better in that respect, my other set of Reynolds aren't too bad either.

A little bit of racing, try and do some MTB in the winter and pick and choose a few during the road season, tough to get away regularly. Did the Worlds Granfondo in Poland last year, that was a highlight.

Yourself?

Reactions: Bobvin

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I used to race when i was younger i did criteriums, time trails , thriathlon .
I was pretty good but not serious enough .
Now i occasionally ride, i try to ride 2 -3 times week depending on work .
Plus sometimes a week in the french alps stuff like that .
I am sometimes thinking of doing cairo - capetown bike packing that would be awesome.
I have not ridden the campags in the wet yet , if i do i will comment regarding the breaking performance

Last edited:

defride

VIP/Donor
Mar 28, 2013
I didn't start racing until I was older!

Mainly Masters but have ridden early season stuff with the youngsters, can usually make the final selection but not close when it comes to the finish. Did some crits a couple of years back but you really are throwing the dice, most of the guys I ride with have been down, a couple quite seriously. Not worth it at my stage in life as much as they were fun to ride

I can appreciate the idea of a long distance trek across Africa but it's not for me. Speed, 100km or 100m flat out is more my thing. I've had entries for The Marmotte for the last couple of years but family change of plans and injury put paid to those. I've not ridden Alp D'Heuz or Galibier so despite those who have done it generally pointing to other events as better organised or just better it's the one I'd like to tick off.

Reactions: Uk Paul and Bobvin

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
I got a new bike this year, joined an enduro dh race team sponsored by Specialized. The 2020 Spec Enduro is an amazing bike. A little heavy, but it pedals and climbs surprisingly well for a 37 lb (16.8 kg) 170mm travel mt bike!

Here'a pic of the bike with the new Fox 38 fork and a pic of me on a local trail:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing