Any cyclists here?

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ahh, its good to be back on the bike. Last year was an off year, not sure why but the bug to ride never got me last year. This year, with my buddies' invite for the Montana trip, I had to start training. Portland has a great group with a Saturday ride that splits into many speed groups. A couple years back I'd worked my way into the 20-23mph group, which now has split into a 20-22 and 22-24 group. Beyond that is the 'open' group, and below of course are the 18-20, and 16-18 mph groups.

Not having ridden with the group for a while, and in only moderate fitness, I rolled with the 18-20 crowd yesterday. (There were actually 3 or 4 groups of about a dozen riders at that speed, so a strong turnout on a warm summer morning.) The last dozen miles my legs tightened up a bit, and my old knees were not happily taking the extra effort, but it felt good to get out in a pack. I sat on the back until I'd observed the relative skill of the group before working my way through, though a couple times I still had to break to avoid catching the wheel of someone in front who had a sudden deceleration. I hate doing it 'cause whomever is behind me is also going to have to react. I'm out of practice with a strong shout of 'breaking' at the moment it happens... the breaking reflex is strong, the announcing it less so. One advantage of moving up speed groups is there is less unexpected behavior in faster groups—if you can hold those speeds over 50+ miles you've probably developed some skills.

I always start a ride with a little prayer my Guardian Angel will look after me, and I was thankful again he/she was keeping a watchful eye.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
if all goes well i ll be having a madone 9.2 C in special colours in a month time , its has the ultegra group on it ,i might put Sram red etap on it next year , but first see how it performs .
On my other bike i have sram red and when i was young and i raced i always had campagnolo never shimano .
The trek has aluminium rims with carbon inlays ,and tubeless ready clincher tires 25 mm , it can have 28 mm , so i might also go for a ultra light campagnolo tubular wheelset with 28 mm tubes , should make aerobikes more comfy to ride.
When i used to race we rode on +- 20 mm tires , and nowadays the concensus is that wider tires have less rolling resistance and oh man do they ride better including cornering which is much better with 25 mm
But from what i read carbon rims dont have good brake performance and you gotta be carefull on steep long descents , but that will be no problem because i havent found a big hill yet in holland :confused:
This also has iso speed decoupling under the saddle , the saddle pen can flex in the frame plus it can also flex at the steer bearing dont know the english word , i m curious how it performs , im picking it up in limburg about the only place with hills in holland , amstel gold race territory
MADONE_9.2 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Excellent Bike. I love my Trek Domane SLR

if all goes well i ll be having a madone 9.2 C in special colours in a month time , its has the ultegra group on it ,i might put Sram red etap on it next year , but first see how it performs .
On my other bike i have sram red and when i was young and i raced i always had campagnolo never shimano .
The trek has aluminium rims with carbon inlays ,and tubeless ready clincher tires 25 mm , it can have 28 mm , so i might also go for a ultra light campagnolo tubular wheelset with 28 mm tubes , should make aerobikes more comfy to ride.
When i used to race we rode on +- 20 mm tires , and nowadays the concensus is that wider tires have less rolling resistance and oh man do they ride better including cornering which is much better with 25 mm
But from what i read carbon rims dont have good brake performance and you gotta be carefull on steep long descents , but that will be no problem because i havent found a big hill yet in holland :confused:
This also has iso speed decoupling under the saddle , the saddle pen can flex in the frame plus it can also flex at the steer bearing dont know the english word , i m curious how it performs , im picking it up in limburg about the only place with hills in holland , amstel gold race territory
MADONE_9.2 by andromeda61, on Flickr

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
20171202_133852 by andromeda61, on Flickr

20171203_110045 by andromeda61, on Flickr

picked up the bike ( Project one colours, 9.2 ) and did a large part of the amstel gold race in the south close to belgium , fantastic bike the dampening tube under the saddle works good , but those madone brakes .... wouldnt take this one to the french alpes like this .
I m gonna change brake pads see how that goes but still , i did the 22 % keuterberg as well, but its a short climb luckily :p

Ps Could be that the dealer set the front iso speed decoupler way to loose , gonna have that checked .

Swapped my other 2 wheeler as well for this high way cruiser , awesome travel machine suzuki V strom 1000

20171123_180408 by andromeda61, on Flickr

Last edited:

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
I think the brakes werent adjusted right from the start , adjusted the brakes and gears , here is a link how to adjust the trek madone brakes , absolutely fantastic manufacturing by trek .
Ps i checked with trek holland , the 9.2 doesnt have a front decoupler , so the problem was the steering headbolt which came lose , tightend it again and secured it, no more unwanted movement in the steering bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOj-54_JG0

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Do you think that Madone will accept a 28mm tire? Great if it does, it'll allow you to reduce pressure a little bit so the bike won't beat the **** out of you on longer rides.

andromedaaudio

VIP/Donor
Jan 23, 2011
Amsterdam holland
Yes i just checked more then enough clearance , one could probably run 30 mm as well .
I m gonna try 28 mm somewhere in future yes , running 25 mm slicks now as they came with the new bike .
Or may be a extra 28 mm tubular wheelset with carbon rims .

Ps But the madone is far from uncomfortable , i ve got another carbon bike not an aero bike like the madone and the madone is more comfy , it just feels classy like a very welll designed product , best bike i ve had yet

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Achieving comfort on a racing style bike.
1. There is no substitute for being fit and riding time in the saddle. The body wil adjustt.
2.I often joke that the pain of making the bike go fast will block out or "dwarf" any other pain.
3. The carbon bike is designed to be stiff in the horizontal plane and compliant in the vertical plane. This should provide for maximum comfort,
4.Gel can be used in all clothing and equipment that touches the bike. Gel allows PSI to be spread over a larger area.
5.Most tires have a pressure range. Rather than go to a larger tire ,that results in greater rolling resistance, try operating the tire in the lower recommended pressure range,
6. Get the lightest weight helmet you can find.

Happy trails

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
My '14 Trek Slash was stolen from my garage recently. :mad:

Looks like the Slash is still the best all 'round bike if you want to have something capable on more dh-oriented trails. Here in Colorado we have some fun trails and Moab is often a destination in the spring and fall so the full sus gets a good workout.

Here's a '17 Slash, mine (an '18) will be the same except I'll be running the new RS thru-shaft rear shock, a Fox 36 Float RC2, Line XXX Carbon wheels, SRAM Eagle X01 12sp 1x drivetrain, some Race Face carbon cranks, bars, etc... This isn't an inexpensive build but I like my mt bike a lot. :)

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Sorry to hear that Dave. Bike theft is extra disgusting, and leaves a haunting feeling.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Achieving comfort on a racing style bike.
1. There is no substitute for being fit and riding time in the saddle. The body wil adjustt.
2.I often joke that the pain of making the bike go fast will block out or "dwarf" any other pain.
3. The carbon bike is designed to be stiff in the horizontal plane and compliant in the vertical plane. This should provide for maximum comfort,
4.Gel can be used in all clothing and equipment that touches the bike. Gel allows PSI to be spread over a larger area.
5.Most tires have a pressure range. Rather than go to a larger tire ,that results in greater rolling resistance, try operating the tire in the lower recommended pressure range,
6. Get the lightest weight helmet you can find.

Happy trails

Your point #5 is not a fact, but frequently understood to be true. With new supple casings, larger tires with lower pressures are often lower rolling resistance than high pressure narrow tires. The Schwalbe Big One out-rolls a lot of road racing tires https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews/schwalbe-big-one-2016. And low pressure fast tires are a f-ing delight to ride, just soooo much more comfort.

Tango

VIP/Donor
Mar 12, 2017
Bangkok
Try Assos bibs. They are both very comfy and last long.

Kask is very light and comfy.

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Your point #5 is not a fact, but frequently understood to be true. With new supple casings, larger tires with lower pressures are often lower rolling resistance than high pressure narrow tires. The Schwalbe Big One out-rolls a lot of road racing tires https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com/mtb-reviews/schwalbe-big-one-2016. And low pressure fast tires are a f-ing delight to ride, just soooo much more comfort.

True with mt bikes too... on some surfaces the massive, low-pressure "fat bike" tires that are used mostly on packed snow roll really fast.

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
Hi Guy,s, Heres my Lynskey R350 Titanium with Campy Super Record RS and Enve 3.4 for riding around the province here in Southern Vietnam Im about 45 minutes north of Ho Chi Minh where the streets are flat, straight and little traffic. Perfect for fast riding and very few traffic signals to slow you down. My daily route is 63 km and longer rides our 82km.

Been riding on and off all my life and had the Lynskey built for me about 3 1/2 years ago by Adrenalin bikes in Irvine Ca and shipped out here.I grew up in S Calif Mostly you see Trek & Giant carbon bikes around here with the lower end Shimano groups being a fairly low average income country thats all they can manage. The sport sure has increased the last couple of years I see more group rides now then previously by a large number with half of them smoking cigarettes while riding which always cracks me up.

Sorry for the photo couldn't get to turned upright.

Attachments

• IMG_0744.jpg
    IMG_0744.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 96

DaveC

Industry Expert
Nov 16, 2014
Sweet Lynskey, congrats!

Here's my new ride... An '18 Trek Slash. Made to win EWS (Enduro World Series) races, it's very efficient pedaling and a monster on the downhill. EWS races require climbing but the riding is only timed on the way down. So you need to get to the top within a certain amount of time but it's not important, then you need to have the energy to race down. Several stages are done in a day, and the races may be more than 1 day long, hence the endurance aspect.

This bike just wants to go fast and it always seems like it can go faster.

At Hall Ranch, CO:

Folsom

VIP/Donor
Oct 25, 2015
Eastern WA
Hi Guy,s, Heres my Lynskey R350 Titanium with Campy Super Record RS and Enve 3.4 for riding around the province here in Southern Vietnam Im about 45 minutes north of Ho Chi Minh where the streets are flat, straight and little traffic. Perfect for fast riding and very few traffic signals to slow you down. My daily route is 63 km and longer rides our 82km.

Been riding on and off all my life and had the Lynskey built for me about 3 1/2 years ago by Adrenalin bikes in Irvine Ca and shipped out here.I grew up in S Calif Mostly you see Trek & Giant carbon bikes around here with the lower end Shimano groups being a fairly low average income country thats all they can manage. The sport sure has increased the last couple of years I see more group rides now then previously by a large number with half of them smoking cigarettes while riding which always cracks me up.

Your saddle looks leaned forward. Generally that means you need to level it or tilit it back just a hair, but lower the seat post. I have seen lots of hip-rocking with that stance, which is bad. While everyone into biking knows countless people need to raise their saddle, it also tends to create a fear of having it too low. Sometimes the right position looks a bit low. If you watch Tour De France you will note they dont come too close to straightening their leg, but it looks better than most people cause they are tall and skinny.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Nice on the ENVE wheels—I run those on my CYFAC. If I had clearance I'd run 28mm tires but am constrained to 25.

Your saddle looks leaned forward. Generally that means you need to level it or tilit it back just a hair, but lower the seat post. I have seen lots of hip-rocking with that stance, which is bad. While everyone into biking knows countless people need to raise their saddle, it also tends to create a fear of having it too low. Sometimes the right position looks a bit low. If you watch Tour De France you will note they dont come too close to straightening their leg, but it looks better than most people cause they are tall and skinny.

Good advice, I notice a lot of folks whose hips rock quite a bit, and many are seasoned cyclists. It can be a matter of a few millimeters.

I'm building up a new rig, something very, very different from my CYFAC. It'll look like the Jones Plus titanium SpaceFrame in the picture below, only with SRAM Eagle XX1 1x12 drivetrain. When I saw the rolling resistance comparison of a Schwalbe G-One Speed 29 x 2.35 tire was extremely close to my Vittoria Open Corsa 25mm tires, I decided to go big. (The tires in the picture are not Schwalbe G-One spee.d)

Ti-Space-Frame-LWB.jpg

Tecknik1

May 29, 2017
HCM VietNam
I lived in Boulder back in the early to mid nineties and was into mountain biking then with all the beautiful trails its hard not to be. I hear you Dave about the bike just wants to go faster and faster' the Lynskey is incredibly fast and responds so quickly. Bob that Jones Titanium looks really cool.

asindc

Sep 27, 2012

I switched from 23s to 25s this past season and was immediately upset with my riding buddies who were already on 25s. Why didn't they tell me sooner?! I plan on trying 28s when spring comes around.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing