Any cyclists here?

Keith_W

Mar 31, 2012
Melbourne, Australia
www.whatsbestforum.com
I was wondering if you could post a picture of your bike :)

My wife and I have been cycling for more than a year. I bought her a matching bike. Pity she doesn't seem to use it much!

These are our bikes - Orbea Diem. Carbon fibre flat bar road bike. It is as light as a road bike, but has an upright riding position which both of us prefer.

IMG_6436..JPG IMG_6442..JPG IMG_6438..JPG

tonmeister2008

WBF Technical Expert
Jun 20, 2010
Westlake Village,CA
Nice bikes!!

I'm a cyclist and have a Trek 5.5 Madone (carbon fibre frame) This picture is more about the background scenery (Lake Sherwood in Westlake Village,CA) but my bike is in the foreground.

Reactions: sujay

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
The race machine and a vintage one

Here's a couple for ya

Attachments

• felt blike..jpg
    felt blike..jpg
    290.5 KB · Views: 1,082
  • Yfoil 650..jpg
    Yfoil 650..jpg
    335.6 KB · Views: 1,134

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
Not a cyclist, per se, but I ride a bicycle around Santa Cruz. I wanted suspension for my large body, lots of gears for going up hills, and rugged construction to go off of curbs and bumps without problem.

Skinny tire bikes are faster, but I just wanted transport and fun, not speed.

Cannondale SuperV2000, about 1996 vintage, $200 from a doctor who went overseas. It gets compliments from people who seem to know more about bikes than i do.

Attachments

• cannondale..jpg
    cannondale..jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 1,048

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
That my dear friends is a Y-foil, the UCI made it illegal and killed sales for the Trek wonderbike. It's a sloppy ride regardless, you bounce up and down, well I should say... your butt does and thus you lose power transfer. I resurrected it for the photo shoot, ride it 100 miles the next day and sold it the following week. I rode real Trek/Lemonds for years prior to riding the Felts. I'm still off the bike for now (bad crash last year) and getting a little American male belt roll. I'll be back though, watch out if you ride in the Phila area! Very few can hold my wheel.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
IMG_0401..jpg

My stead post car accident.

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Not a cyclist, per se, but I ride a bicycle around Santa Cruz. I wanted suspension for my large body, lots of gears for going up hills, and rugged construction to go off of curbs and bumps without problem.

Skinny tire bikes are faster, but I just wanted transport and fun, not speed.

Cannondale SuperV2000, about 1996 vintage, $200 from a doctor who went overseas. It gets compliments from people who seem to know more about bikes than i do.

The Cannondale is a fantastic frame! I raced a Cannondale 2.8 frame in the LeMond National Time Trial series around 1990. The mountain bike frame you have was on my wish list back then!

I have a Klein Pinnacle mountain bike that I occasionally use to commute to work now.
Lee

ack

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
May 6, 2010
Boston, MA
Although my Trek 7300 is no high-end bike, I do pride myself in successfully dodging the moronic Boston drivers, and have lived long enough to author this post! A major feat at that... But seriously, my 8-year-old is now old enough to ride with me, so finally I have very good company... and we're getting one for my wife this weekend, so we can all ride in the lovely 3-inch-rain New England weather.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
Thinking about jumping back on a bike after several decades. So I'm going to start with a decent entry-level bike that's good for bike paths and perhaps a little bit of easy trail-riding. I'm doing this mostly just to get out and enjoy nature while getting some exercise. If I really get into it then I'll upgrade the bike and attempt more difficult terrain next year. My budget as such is not large, but after talking to a few people at various shops and considering their recommendations I decided that this may be a good bike to get started with.

http://www.sportchek.ca/product/index.jsp?productId=17416996&cp=3733354.3767828.3767829.3758104

Peter Breuninger

Jul 20, 2010
Looks good. Position and comfort are the primary objective after your hiatus, performance next (weight and frame material/stiffness/groupo). Remember when you step up... it's road or trail bike or both, not hybrid (neither fish nor foul). PM me, though I'm on a short cycling break due to injury, I can advise. Don't let my tummy fool you :)

Matt193

Mar 21, 2011
Wisconsin
After a 17 year hiatus from riding a bike, I picked up a Giant Talon 2 29er about a month ago. I am really shocked at how out of shape I am. :eek:

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Had a good tough weekend on the bike... Saturday was 65 miles up and back, 4800' vertical to the top of McKenzie Pass here in central Oregon, riding from the west side. Being new to Oregon, its fun to get on some of these scenic bike roads. I haven't loaded details from my Garmin, but I pushed pretty hard even knowing Sunday was to be another climb. The pass is still closed to vehicle traffic, so only cyclists on the way up. At the top, this year, there is no snow. Common for there to be six foot walls of snow flanking the road this time of year, but we were able to see the full lava beds exposed. Very cool place.
McKenzie.JPG

Sunday's ride was on the Aufderheide Scenic Byway (). We rode this from the northern end at the McKenzie river to the summit at Box Canyon. Another 3200' vertical in 28 miles, for a 56 mile day. These two days will be good training for the upcoming 'Ride the Hurricane' climb in Olympic National Park (August). At the summit is a nice stand of old growth forest and spotted owl (!) habitat. The summit pitch of the last 4 miles averages about 8% grade.

A new gal joined our group for the rides. Attractive, petite gal who was a very strong rider. I had put a little distance on her headed into the summit pitch as I had to take a quick trip to the head in the campground just before the road really ramps up. She got ahead of me and kept me in the hurt locker as I worked my ass off to catch her before the summit. Always fun to ride with a woman who has skills on the bike. She could really descend as well. Sadly my wife didn't join this weekend, I love riding with her. But she's not much for fast descents. Saturdays descent was epic, not too steep but very curvy, some curves changes coming faster than I could shift my weight to setup for the apex, but mostly just feathering the brakes here and there, with the occasional "holy ****" moments. Sunday's descent not quite as spectacular as Saturday, but a welcome reward after the climb.

Barry

Member Sponsor
Jan 7, 2012
Somewhere near Philadelphia, USA
Well I ride a little on these -- a Richard Sachs custom and a DeRosa.

RSachs.2010.001 (1).jpg

DeRosa.009.jpg

Memorable moments: Assault on Mt. Mitchell (it's 6,683 Ft and was 1,000 miles in a week down the Blue ridge Mountains) also did a double century with 215 miles in a day. Slowing down though only 326 miles in April.

Reactions: Tim Link

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Had a good tough weekend on the bike... Saturday was 65 miles up and back, 4800' vertical to the top of McKenzie Pass here in central Oregon, riding from the west side. Being new to Oregon, its fun to get on some of these scenic bike roads. I haven't loaded details from my Garmin, but I pushed pretty hard even knowing Sunday was to be another climb. The pass is still closed to vehicle traffic, so only cyclists on the way up. At the top, this year, there is no snow. Common for there to be six foot walls of snow flanking the road this time of year, but we were able to see the full lava beds exposed. Very cool place.
View attachment 20720

Sunday's ride was on the Aufderheide Scenic Byway (). We rode this from the northern end at the McKenzie river to the summit at Box Canyon. Another 3200' vertical in 28 miles, for a 56 mile day. These two days will be good training for the upcoming 'Ride the Hurricane' climb in Olympic National Park (August). At the summit is a nice stand of old growth forest and spotted owl (!) habitat. The summit pitch of the last 4 miles averages about 8% grade.

A new gal joined our group for the rides. Attractive, petite gal who was a very strong rider. I had put a little distance on her headed into the summit pitch as I had to take a quick trip to the head in the campground just before the road really ramps up. She got ahead of me and kept me in the hurt locker as I worked my ass off to catch her before the summit. Always fun to ride with a woman who has skills on the bike. She could really descend as well. Sadly my wife didn't join this weekend, I love riding with her. But she's not much for fast descents. Saturdays descent was epic, not too steep but very curvy, some curves changes coming faster than I could shift my weight to setup for the apex, but mostly just feathering the brakes here and there, with the occasional "holy ****" moments. Sunday's descent not quite as spectacular as Saturday, but a welcome reward after the climb.

Well I ride a little on these -- a Richard Sachs custom and a DeRosa.

View attachment 20722

View attachment 20723

Memorable moments: Assault on Mt. Mitchell (it's 6,683 Ft and was 1,000 miles in a week down the Blue ridge Mountains) also did a double century with 215 miles in a day. Slowing down though only 326 miles in April.

wow, you guys are my envy.

Bob the photo gives meaning to what you did

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
And my other custom frame, 1981 MERZ touring frame. Jim Merz, the builder, was a renowned frame builder in Portland in the late 70's, early 80's. He went on to be the chief design engineer at Specialized. I've also heard that he recently has been back @ Specialized. I was excited to see he has a Facebook page!

I've finally ditched the old Flite saddle (in the pic it was somewhat poorly adjusted) that hurt my ass for years. Thank God some for newer saddle designs.

Picture shows a somewhat older buildup, with Campy downtube friction shifters and Clemente silk touring tubulars. I ride this bike to this day, and once did a self-supported tour from Lubbock, Texas (Texas Tech) to Jasper Canada, Vancouver, and finally my home town of Spokane, WA. One flat, one loose spoke. One change of tires half way through.

DSCN0808.JPG

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
And my other bike, the best ant-aging money I've spent. Guaranteed to have you grinning ear-ear like a 10 year old!
IMG_0154.JPG

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Tried something new this morning... That old MERZ shown above was built to be a loaded touring bike, and had ample clearance for fenders and tires up to 32mm. As a road bike, compared to the CYFAC, it is heavy, inefficient, and seriously dated. Rides like a dream, but on the hills the large frame flexes and the power does't reach the wheels like the carbon bike. And, I haven't done a full bags loaded tour for a couple decades. So I see a post from the local group for a gravel ride. Most folks riding these rides are on cyclocross specific bikes, some carbon, disk brakes, etc. I've never done a lot of mountain biking, but thought I'd give the gravel a test. I bought some 32mm cyclocross tires, mounted them to a spare set of wheels, and gave it a go. Very different to be riding a trail with loose gravel on a bike with drop bars. The MERZ has an old half-step granny setup in front, and I was thankful for granny. If I convert the bike over to more gravel riding, the gearing will change, and ditching the old downtube shifters is a must, in favor of brifters.

Anyway, great new experience for me, having someone ahead of me bombing down the descent forced me to ride faster than I'd have been comfortable myself, but once I got my balance sorted out I was able to keep with the group. We had about 17 people, many rookies like myself. Great fun, and challenging too.
image.jpg

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing