Any cyclists here?

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Just a little update - a no show last night from the youngster but apparently will be attending on the weekend - relayed to my friend he has never experienced such a ride and was humbled :D I'm sure all the initial cockiness is long gone :)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Just a little update - a no show last night from the youngster but apparently will be attending on the weekend - relayed to my friend he has never experienced such a ride and was humbled :D I'm sure all the initial cockiness is long gone :)

Dev, are y'all on the road or trail? (And what part of the country are you in?)

Peter Breuninger

[Industry Expert] Member Sponsor
Jul 20, 2010
I was a competitive cyclist for 15 years. It ain't what it's cracked up to be.

Last edited:

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
Dev, are y'all on the road or trail? (And what part of the country are you in?)

Trail 80% roads of sorts 20% Really depends on where I go - close to home lots of different conservations - lots of crazy hills - use allot of active deer & moose trails too. A really nice mixture, I don't do any more extreme actual mountain biking - just too risky and don't want to take the chance - my body is too important - boulders always when :D - I do this for pleasure and keep my health up - enjoy being out doors.

Traveling with bike go to many areas that are gorgeous like;

Algonquin Provincial Park - http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/
Elora Gorge Conservation
1000 Islands - endless trail
Muskoka - Gravenhurst - Bruce Trial
Rockwood Conservation

just way too many too list.

Canada - Ontario

And your self

Brf

Sep 21, 2012
Trail 80% roads of sorts 20% Really depends on where I go - close to home lots of different conservations - lots of crazy hills - use allot of active deer & moose trails too. A really nice mixture, I don't do any more extreme actual mountain biking - just too risky and don't want to take the chance - my body is too important - boulders always when :D - I do this for pleasure and keep my health up - enjoy being out doors.

Traveling with bike go to many areas that are gorgeous like;

Algonquin Provincial Park - http://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/
Elora Gorge Conservation
1000 Islands - endless trail
Muskoka - Gravenhurst - Bruce Trial
Rockwood Conservation

just way too many too list.

Canada - Ontario

And your self

Dev, you got to ride the Durham Forest, arguably Ontario's best single track.

http://durhammountainbiking.ca/trail/durham-forest

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Yesterday i finally jumped up a speed group on the weekly Saturday morning ride. Have been riding with the 18-20mph group through the spring, a group that occassionally rode above that for the duration, but many rides they tried to limit top speeds to fit the posted group. It was suggested a month back I move up, but I worried about the pace of the first 5 miles (I need at least a little warm up time) and the pace on the hills.

Yesterday was 50 miles on a relatively flat course (only 1500' vertical) and sure enough, some guy goes off the front right out of the parking lot, hammering away at 25mph for the first 5 miles, backing off only a little after that. I was watching my heart rate creeping quickly to 90, 91, 92% of max, thinking I'm screwed, I can't sustain this for 50 miles... finally the pace moderated a little and I held on. Actually a little better than just holding on — I was strong on the few short climbs, had a few good pulls on the front, overall survived pretty well. Had a great endophin high after, along with the sense of accomplishment achieving a goal. A very nice 4th. This morning not feeling much more fatigue than usual. (As a note, I'm 57 years old, and interestingly, many of the fast riders are well into middle age too. My wife says cycling is the new golf, and our Saturday ride is a good replacement fo the early rounds at the country club. I'm a better rider than I was golfer, and in much better condition now.)

A month from now is the annual ride up Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. Used to be 4500' of climbing for 18 miles, now they are adding a little to the route, dropping down right to sea level before turning up, which will add 700 additional feet of climbing. I may skip the added portion, my goal was to make it up in less than 2 hours, about 8 minutes better than my last attempt two years ago. If the ride were a climb in the Tour, it would be category 1 or even 'hors categorie'. And to think those guys might do several climbs like this in a single stage. Wow!

Reactions: Tim Link

RBFC

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Albuquerque, NM
www.fightingconcepts.com
Yesterday i finally jumped up a speed group on the weekly Saturday morning ride. Have been riding with the 18-20mph group through the spring, a group that occassionally rode above that for the duration, but many rides they tried to limit top speeds to fit the posted group. It was suggested a month back I move up, but I worried about the pace of the first 5 miles (I need at least a little warm up time) and the pace on the hills.

Yesterday was 50 miles on a relatively flat course (only 1500' vertical) and sure enough, some guy goes off the front right out of the parking lot, hammering away at 25mph for the first 5 miles, backing off only a little after that. I was watching my heart rate creeping quickly to 90, 91, 92% of max, thinking I'm screwed, I can't sustain this for 50 miles... finally the pace moderated a little and I held on. Actually a little better than just holding on — I was strong on the few short climbs, had a few good pulls on the front, overall survived pretty well. Had a great endophin high after, along with the sense of accomplishment achieving a goal. A very nice 4th. This morning not feeling much more fatigue than usual. (As a note, I'm 57 years old, and interestingly, many of the fast riders are well into middle age too. My wife says cycling is the new golf, and our Saturday ride is a good replacement fo the early rounds at the country club. I'm a better rider than I was golfer, and in much better condition now.)

A month from now is the annual ride up Hurricane Ridge in Olympic National Park. Used to be 4500' of climbing for 18 miles, now they are adding a little to the route, dropping down right to sea level before turning up, which will add 700 additional feet of climbing. I may skip the added portion, my goal was to make it up in less than 2 hours, about 8 minutes better than my last attempt two years ago. If the ride were a climb in the Tour, it would be category 1 or even 'hors categorie'. And to think those guys might do several climbs like this in a single stage. Wow!

Great performance. Over 20mph for 2+ hours is excellent work.

Lee

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Great performance. Over 20mph for 2+ hours is excellent work.

Lee
Thanks Lee, coming from a fellow with your background I'll take the compliment!

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Another day with the 20-23 crowd, and I rolled out with the first dozen guys. I think there were 3 groups at that pace. Well the first out were the ones who know their ability, and they had me working my ass off. There were several guys who never came to the front, but I did my share into the wind. Again there were a few times I thought "i can't sustain this pace" but held on. This is definately stretching my abilities. In most cases if I yo-yo off the back a few bike lengths, it is easy for me to do the micro-accelerations to get quickly back. With this group, riding hard at 24-26mph, it is a whole lot tougher to catch and hold a wheel. But, even later in the ride I took my turn at the front and layed it down. It is always good to represent. If not for the last 5-7 miles through residential areas with stop signs and traffic lights, our average would have been better. 50 miles, 1400' climbing, 20.2 mph average.

Reactions: MPS

Frank750

VIP/Donor
Jul 8, 2011
Another day with the 20-23 crowd, and I rolled out with the first dozen guys. I think there were 3 groups at that pace. Well the first out were the ones who know their ability, and they had me working my ass off. There were several guys who never came to the front, but I did my share into the wind. Again there were a few times I thought "i can't sustain this pace" but held on. This is definately stretching my abilities. In most cases if I yo-yo off the back a few bike lengths, it is easy for me to do the micro-accelerations to get quickly back. With this group, riding hard at 24-26mph, it is a whole lot tougher to catch and hold a wheel. But, even later in the ride I took my turn at the front and layed it down. It is always good to represent. If not for the last 5-7 miles through residential areas with stop signs and traffic lights, our average would have been better. 50 miles, 1400' climbing, 20.2 mph average.

Bob, you're an absolute animal!

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Hello all, Tom here. I am a little late chiming into this thread, though I have wanted to respond prior to today. More than a 1/4 million miles on these legs so far, though you couldn't tell it in my current shape....need to get back to it! Been clocked at 54mph downhill on 74, rode from Matthews NC to Greensboro NC in a day (about 129 miles by available cycling roads at the time), rode up the coast of California, from Springfield VA to many miles deep into Washington National Forest in one day many times, followed by mountain climbing the same day....rode from home to elementary school, intermediate and then on to High School where I would race the bus in and beat it even though my HS was 7 miles away (Springfield traffic and the amount of lights were bad even back many, many moons ago). Though not documented or confirmed via the speedometer (broke while mountain climbing trying to stash bike about 500 ft. up mountain), I "believe" my personal record for one day was close to 170 miles.

Every bike, from the Edwardo Bianchi to the Nishiki to the current Cannondale was custom made by me to fit my body and riding style. I believe the Cannondale has two things left that are actually stock. The water bottle holder screws on the down tube and the frame. Everything else was custom fit to me. Many things were replaced 4 times over, either through wear or to fit my body and riding style.

While I was never comfortable riding at an average pace of 20 mph (14 was the average), I could withstand extreme long distance even with a load....which I kept at the absolute minimum. In fact, I took off the rear brakes about 3 decades ago and haven't looked back since. Not once did I ever wear a helmet, which may explain why I may or may not have drain bremage.

Yes, I encountered countless cars, one 6 year old kid, dogs, (I should tell you about one dog in particular but I'm sure you all could care less), Metro buses, crazy foreigners wanting to seemingly kill me and a van that knocked me flat out after I hit it at an estimated 45mph racing downhill. Been harassed by cops, drivers, tractor trailers and even had a gun pulled to my head twice just because I was on a bicycle. Then there was the school bus incident (long story).

Way too many crashes as a kid on the ol' BMX trails. So many, I can't even remember half of them.....but I will tell you this. I wouldn't trade any of the experiences for anything. All of them made me who I am today. Please allow me to tell you a little bit about myself......as my mother tells it. :)

She says that I am like a cat. I have 9 lives and I have lived all 13 of them. Looking back? I think she's right. ;)

Tom

Reactions: MPS

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Tom, I too have been a cyclist all my life, with a hiatus here and there. But I am currently in about as good of cycling shape as my youthful racing days, which was only amateur stuff and I wasn't all that fast. Aside from the long recovery times associated with middle age, I'm able to lay it down probably better than those days. But, back then, we did lots of riding, often 500+ miles / week.

I rode from Lubbock, TX (Texas Tech) up to Jasper Canada solo tour back in the day, only about 22lbs of gear, custom front low-rider racks and a seat bag. Rockie Mountains all the way, over a dozen passes over 10k feet, about 20 times over the continental divide. Still have that bike (pictures up the thread a ways), and still have the 40 spoke touring wheels. I'm hoping to get back to the occasional long weekend cycle-camping trip, though sleeping on the ground not as appealing as in my youth.

I too never used to wear a helmet, now I do always, they're so light now it only makes sense, though I do remember the freedom of going without. Unlike you, I remained upright most of my career, and hate to even say that without crossing myself and being thankful for the guardian angels who look after me. (Thanks be to God.)

And my current steed is full custom carbon as no stock frames fit me well. Of course I ride a saddle I like, bars I like, stem of correct length, and Dura-Ace Di2, with carbon wheels. I would say my carbon bike, vs. my old steel frame, allows for 2-3mph faster riding. I would not have said it possible the frame could lend to so much more efficiency, but riding them both its hard to argue. And, as comfortable as my steel bike is, my carbon bike with somewhat more aggressive geometry is equally comfortable if not more so. Much more stable on fast descents.

So if you're sporting a little more around your middle than you like—ride your bike! (Hey, new ad slogan!)

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Ugh! Last night was another strong effort. Only 28 miles, but we climbed 2600', averaging 16.8mph overall. I had over 48 minutes in anaerobic zone (80-90% max heart rate), and 7 minutes in VO2 max zone (90-100% heart rate). Its a different group from the folks I ride with on Saturday mornings—this is Tuesday night hill work. I've only been out with them 4 times now, and last night a very strong guy and his wife joined. I'd not ridden with them before. He put me in the pain cave early on a 7.6 mile climb—he was very strong. I'm sure I pushed a little harder than I might have if I'd been the strongest guy of the night. On the flats, too, he could pull away when he dropped the hammer. Definitely one level above where I am now. (I'll use the age excuse... he's 15+ years younger.) If he were to join the Saturday ride, he'd be able to ride in the "open" group. I'm just recently moved up to the 20-23mph group.

His wife was also excellent on the hills, I'd say she and I were about even (at least on last nights effort). She happens to be a current time trial champion here in Oregon, headed to Australia next month to represent the USA.

My legs feel like a couple lead balloons today.

Sauerball

Member Sponsor
Jul 30, 2013
New York, NY
Ugh! Last night was another strong effort. Only 28 miles, but we climbed 2600', averaging 16.8mph overall. I had over 48 minutes in anaerobic zone (80-90% max heart rate), and 7 minutes in VO2 max zone (90-100% heart rate). Its a different group from the folks I ride with on Saturday mornings—this is Tuesday night hill work. I've only been out with them 4 times now, and last night a very strong guy and his wife joined. I'd not ridden with them before. He put me in the pain cave early on a 7.6 mile climb—he was very strong. I'm sure I pushed a little harder than I might have if I'd been the strongest guy of the night. On the flats, too, he could pull away when he dropped the hammer. Definitely one level above where I am now. (I'll use the age excuse... he's 15+ years younger.) If he were to join the Saturday ride, he'd be able to ride in the "open" group. I'm just recently moved up to the 20-23mph group.

His wife was also excellent on the hills, I'd say she and I were about even (at least on last nights effort). She happens to be a current time trial champion here in Oregon, headed to Australia next month to represent the USA.

My legs feel like a couple lead balloons today.

But you've got a good story. Nice work. Foam roll and get back out there.

I took a couple of weeks off the bike and couldn't believe how much I lost in a such a short amount of time. It's been a tough two weeks getting back into the groove.

Love being on a bike, though.

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com
Here's my prior ride up to Hurricane Ridge during the 2013 RIDE THE HURRICANE: http://ridewithgps.com/trips/1564436

I am studying the heart rate and pace I did to prepare for the ride again this Sunday. I note that I had 0 minutes in VO2 Max zone (max effort) last time up, but 1 hour 23 minutes in anaerobic (Hardcore Training) zone. To make my goal of 2 hours, I need to cut almost 10 minutes off my prior time. Obviously, that means averaging 9mph, and my prior was 8.3mph. Ugh! (But, I am riding more, and faster this year than about any time since I was in college.) So this is probably going to mean I need to spend almost all the time riding right at my threshold, or about 92% of max heart rate.

The ride is an HC category (Hors Category, or "beyond categorization") ride if it were part of the Tour de France, mostly due to distance (18 miles) but the max gradient is 10.6%, average gradient 6.3%. According to my garmin, the climb is 4903'.

Of course, I will be riding my custom carbon CYFAC. Here's a link to a nifty little video of the men in the Loire Valley building up a custom carbon frame. Not a mass-produced, pop-em out of a mold bike by any measure: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9x2PjozPus

Wish me luck!

Cyfac_enve2.jpg

Bobvin

VIP/Donor
Jun 7, 2014
Portland
www.purewatersystems.com

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing