Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast

Thread: Any cyclists here?

Ahh, its good to be back on the bike. Last year was an off year, not sure why but the bug to ride never got me last year. This year, with my buddies' invite for the Montana trip, I had to start training. Portland has a great group with a Saturday ride that splits into many speed groups. A couple years back I'd worked my way into the 20-23mph group, which now has split into a 20-22 and 22-24 group. Beyond that is the 'open' group, and below of course are the 18-20, and 16-18 mph groups.

Not having ridden with the group for a while, and in only moderate fitness, I rolled with the 18-20 crowd yesterday. (There were actually 3 or 4 groups of about a dozen riders at that speed, so a strong turnout on a warm summer morning.) The last dozen miles my legs tightened up a bit, and my old knees were not happily taking the extra effort, but it felt good to get out in a pack. I sat on the back until I'd observed the relative skill of the group before working my way through, though a couple times I still had to break to avoid catching the wheel of someone in front who had a sudden deceleration. I hate doing it 'cause whomever is behind me is also going to have to react. I'm out of practice with a strong shout of 'breaking' at the moment it happens... the breaking reflex is strong, the announcing it less so. One advantage of moving up speed groups is there is less unexpected behavior in faster groups—if you can hold those speeds over 50+ miles you've probably developed some skills.

I always start a ride with a little prayer my Guardian Angel will look after me, and I was thankful again he/she was keeping a watchful eye.
    óBob Vineyard, aka bobvin

My system: Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), AMG v12 turntable, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

VIP/Donor [VIP/Donor] andromedaaudio's Avatar
    if all goes well i ll be having a madone 9.2 C in special colours in a month time , its has the ultegra group on it ,i might put Sram red etap on it next year , but first see how it performs .
    On my other bike i have sram red and when i was young and i raced i always had campagnolo never shimano .
    The trek has aluminium rims with carbon inlays ,and tubeless ready clincher tires 25 mm , it can have 28 mm , so i might also go for a ultra light campagnolo tubular wheelset with 28 mm tubes , should make aerobikes more comfy to ride.
    When i used to race we rode on +- 20 mm tires , and nowadays the concensus is that wider tires have less rolling resistance and oh man do they ride better including cornering which is much better with 25 mm
    But from what i read carbon rims dont have good brake performance and you gotta be carefull on steep long descents , but that will be no problem because i havent found a big hill yet in holland
    This also has iso speed decoupling under the saddle , the saddle pen can flex in the frame plus it can also flex at the steer bearing dont know the english word , i m curious how it performs , im picking it up in limburg about the only place with hills in holland , amstel gold race territory
    MADONE_9.2 by andromeda61, on Flickr
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 09-17-2017 at 10:30 AM.

Talk about dangerous racing .
    Criterium racing in holland , narrow streets ,speed bumps, roundabouts , iron fences everywhere , a lot of 90 degrees corners which means a lot of acceleration , ... madness especially when its wet

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzAhjvnZoQw

Member Sponsor Addicted to Best! rockitman's Avatar
    Excellent Bike. I love my Trek Domane SLR

Quote Originally Posted by andromedaaudio View Post
    if all goes well i ll be having a madone 9.2 C in special colours in a month time , its has the ultegra group on it ,i might put Sram red etap on it next year , but first see how it performs .
    On my other bike i have sram red and when i was young and i raced i always had campagnolo never shimano .
    The trek has aluminium rims with carbon inlays ,and tubeless ready clincher tires 25 mm , it can have 28 mm , so i might also go for a ultra light campagnolo tubular wheelset with 28 mm tubes , should make aerobikes more comfy to ride.
    When i used to race we rode on +- 20 mm tires , and nowadays the concensus is that wider tires have less rolling resistance and oh man do they ride better including cornering which is much better with 25 mm
    But from what i read carbon rims dont have good brake performance and you gotta be carefull on steep long descents , but that will be no problem because i havent found a big hill yet in holland
    This also has iso speed decoupling under the saddle , the saddle pen can flex in the frame plus it can also flex at the steer bearing dont know the english word , i m curious how it performs , im picking it up in limburg about the only place with hills in holland , amstel gold race territory
    MADONE_9.2 by andromeda61, on Flickr
    Christian

System Gear

20171202_133852 by andromeda61, on Flickr

20171203_110045 by andromeda61, on Flickr

picked up the bike ( Project one colours, 9.2 ) and did a large part of the amstel gold race in the south close to belgium , fantastic bike the dampening tube under the saddle works good , but those madone brakes .... wouldnt take this one to the french alpes like this .
    I m gonna change brake pads see how that goes but still , i did the 22 % keuterberg as well, but its a short climb luckily

Ps Could be that the dealer set the front iso speed decoupler way to loose , gonna have that checked .

Swapped my other 2 wheeler as well for this high way cruiser , awesome travel machine suzuki V strom 1000

20171123_180408 by andromeda61, on Flickr
    Last edited by andromedaaudio; 12-03-2017 at 03:40 PM.

I think the brakes werent adjusted right from the start , adjusted the brakes and gears , here is a link how to adjust the trek madone brakes , absolutely fantastic manufacturing by trek .
    Ps i checked with trek holland , the 9.2 doesnt have a front decoupler , so the problem was the steering headbolt which came lose , tightend it again and secured it, no more unwanted movement in the steering bearing

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6bOj-54_JG0

Do you think that Madone will accept a 28mm tire? Great if it does, it'll allow you to reduce pressure a little bit so the bike won't beat the **** out of you on longer rides.
    óBob Vineyard, aka bobvin

My system: Benz LPS, Einstein Turntables' Choice phono-pre (dual mono version), AMG v12 turntable, dCS Rossini DAC, Audio Research Ref10 pre, Audio Research Ref75 amp w.KT150 tubes, Wilson Alexia speakers. Transparent Ref MM2 & Gen5 signal cables, Shunyata Zitron Sigma, AlphaNR, Python, Anaconda, Cobra power cables. Shunyata Hydra Triton v3. Stillpoints. HRS. Acoustic environment optimized by Dr. Bonnie Schnitta of SoundSense.

Yes i just checked more then enough clearance , one could probably run 30 mm as well .
    I m gonna try 28 mm somewhere in future yes , running 25 mm slicks now as they came with the new bike .
    Or may be a extra 28 mm tubular wheelset with carbon rims .

Ps But the madone is far from uncomfortable , i ve got another carbon bike not an aero bike like the madone and the madone is more comfy , it just feels classy like a very welll designed product , best bike i ve had yet

Achieving comfort on a racing style bike.
    1. There is no substitute for being fit and riding time in the saddle. The body wil adjustt.
    2.I often joke that the pain of making the bike go fast will block out or "dwarf" any other pain.
    3. The carbon bike is designed to be stiff in the horizontal plane and compliant in the vertical plane. This should provide for maximum comfort,
    4.Gel can be used in all clothing and equipment that touches the bike. Gel allows PSI to be spread over a larger area.
    5.Most tires have a pressure range. Rather than go to a larger tire ,that results in greater rolling resistance, try operating the tire in the lower recommended pressure range,
    6. Get the lightest weight helmet you can find.

Happy trails
    Be civil to all, sociable to many, familiar with few, friendly to one, and enemy to none.
    Benjamin Franklin

[Industry Expert] Addicted to Best! DaveC's Avatar
    My '14 Trek Slash was stolen from my garage recently.

Looks like the Slash is still the best all 'round bike if you want to have something capable on more dh-oriented trails. Here in Colorado we have some fun trails and Moab is often a destination in the spring and fall so the full sus gets a good workout.

Here's a '17 Slash, mine (an '18) will be the same except I'll be running the new RS thru-shaft rear shock, a Fox 36 Float RC2, Line XXX Carbon wheels, SRAM Eagle X01 12sp 1x drivetrain, some Race Face carbon cranks, bars, etc... This isn't an inexpensive build but I like my mt bike a lot.

Industry Affiliation:
    I own ZenWave Audio
    zenwaveaudio.com
    dave@zenwaveaudio.com
    Furutech Dealer

Page 13 of 16 FirstFirst ... 345678910111213141516 LastLast