Digital Or Analog; How Do You Get Your Fix?

How Do You Get Your Audio Fix

• Analog

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Digital

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Both-mostly analog

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Both-mostly digital

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
About 60 pct digital and 40 pct tape.

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
I would never use that line since it can apply to the convenience of files, tough as mentioned earlier.
Are we talking about the same thing? How can it be applied to convenience of files? I am sitting in my living room right now listening to music which I browsed using my Crestron remote integrated into my media center PC. I sorted by year, instantly found the music I wanted and didn't have to use more than..... 2 or 3 calories doing it. :D I am pretty sure that is far less than getting up and changing an LP. :D :D

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ The opposite, you made my point.

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
I think anonymous is better. If anyone wants to have their choice known and are willing to anticipate the jab that may come as it just did with me ;) :), they can say otherwise.

You set yourself up Amir, but you know that. There is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to your preference of digital, analog, or both for listening to music.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Wow, I missed this thread!

Mostly Digital/Analog for me. ...Digital sources with analog connections.

I still have three analog Turntables, and a bunch of other analog gear (Tape Decks, Tuners, EQs).
Plus analog amps and preamps ... Analog interconnects & speaker cables.
Analog speakers and subwoofers, and still many analog albums (my first true origin).

So I voted Both - Mostly Analog. :b

Last edited:

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
You set yourself up Amir, but you know that. There is nothing to be ashamed of when it comes to your preference of digital, analog, or both for listening to music.
Please stop it Mark. This is not a debate thread.

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Just voted Mostly Digital/Analog . Although mostly is exaggerated I listen more to digital than analog because of the music I listen more only exists in CD. Other than a few recordings for those comparison sessions I avoid having duplicates in both formats - if possible I get the native format.

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
I don't blame anybody for not wanting the hassle of vinyl. Also, more records for me.

It annoys me that just a few years ago my thrift diving came up with lots of results but now every place tends to be cleaned out due to the vinyl re-tread craze.

The push-button convenience of digital can result in remote control nervosa, for which LP's are a good cure. I almost think that is rude to stop a record before the side has completed. One is both more involved in the playback with vinyl, and more prone to listen through to the side, rather than doing the radio station twirly bird tango to no meaningful end.

Last edited:

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
^ Just throw a tennis ball at the base. Seems more like random play I suppose.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
All digital, RB only, for the last 26 years. Nothing against other formats, they can all be made to "work", but there is an extra level of headache in sorting out the mechanical side of all the analogue formats, and it is enough of a challenge to get a purely electronics derived audio working at optimum. Plus, plenty of software available, cheap!!

Interestingly enough, when I first really got going again in the game, that 26 years ago, I had 2 systems going: the CD, and my wife's basic but pretty reasonable TT setup. And the latter, with some everyday type tweaking from me, was generating some very nice sound, back then, I remember Dean Martin and Sammy Davis Jnr recordings having quite a bit of magic. But I knew it wasn't the future, so my course was set ...

Frank

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Please stop it Mark. This is not a debate thread.

I have no idea what you are talking about. Who is debating anything here?? I thought we were stating what format(s) we listen to. I stated my ratios and I'm not debating anything on this thread.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Please, let's not debate about debates. There are more important things in life to enjoy.

Enjoy the music.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
^ Just throw a tennis ball at the base. Seems more like random play I suppose.

If you have a Linn, you can stomp your foot :)

Jun 17, 2011
White Rock, New Mexico
HI All,
Maybe this is not the place to talk about this. I don't want to derail my own thread. But I'm going to anyway.

I think the secret to listening to a high percentage of analog audio is enabled by several very practical things. First, and most important, is a large and high quality record collection. Next, ones musical tastes that have not aged. This means that the type of music in the collection must be ageless, like classical music. If a person demands lots of new material, you are dead if you insist on classical music. There just are not many new analog releases in classical. OTH, the older releases, say before CD's took over, are ageless and there is no reason to replace them. Just listen to them.

Used records were my salvation because I started to collect used records in large numbers at the same time most other folks were dumping their collections of records. It was a treasure for someone like me. It goes without saying that I never got out of analog audio. Thus, the used record store came into being fueled by folks just like me. But now, the used record stores are disappointing and picked over. The heyday of used records is over by about 15 years.

I have a large record collection of about 4500 records, about half of which is classical. I would hate to have to put together this collection again in today's market. I think it would be impossible. But, because I do have this collection I have no need to buy new classical records and analog reproduction is even better now than ever before. I believe we are living in the Golden Age of analog reproduction. At the top end, though, it is pricy.

If I want new music, I buy CD's. It's really the only source for folks like me with somewhat esoteric tastes. Fortunately, the quality of CD recordings has improved to the point where I can enjoy them. Not as much as a great analog recording though.

Sparky

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing