Digital Or Analog; How Do You Get Your Fix?

How Do You Get Your Audio Fix

• Analog

Votes: 13 16.7%
  • Digital

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Both-mostly analog

Votes: 26 33.3%
  • Both-mostly digital

Votes: 13 16.7%

• Total voters

Mosin

[Industry Expert]
Mar 11, 2012
I marked both in the poll, but I don't even have any digital in my main system. This computer has a pro soundcard, and it is connected to CJ electronics and KEF speakers. I call it the YouTube machine. :D

That cobbled together computer system probably gets more use than the big setup because I like seeing and hearing the videos of live performances that I find online. A lot of artists' music has been added to my vinyl collection because of my online wanderings.

So, low bitrate digital is for finding out about musicians, and analog is to escape the pressures of the day through its more accurate presentation. I don't think I could do without either of them.

Win

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I think what's holding back higher resolution content is connection speed and cost of memory. When I did my first round of ripping, iPods had a measly 5Gs of RAM! No surprise I had to do it at 128 which I believe was where the itunes store started at as well.

I can imagine them doing high rez eventually if customers have connections fast enough to give that quick fix. The memory? I think providing Hi-rez content can actually push hardware sales of which faster processing and more memory has always been a driver (at least for me).

That said, when I want to treat myself........I still go analog. :)

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
So, low bitrate digital is for finding out about musicians, and analog is to escape the pressures of the day through its more accurate presentation. I don't think I could do without either of them.

Well said and pretty much on par with how I listen to digital, although I have a fairly decent .flac collection. YouTube videos are a great way to discover new artists and content I've never heard from established ones.

theophile

99.999999999999% records.

I have some music DVDs, but that's Audiovisual. For pure music it's 100% records.

And, loving it.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
---Hi theophile, and Welcome!

iamtimbabb

Nov 28, 2012
Itasca, Illinois, USA
I voted mostly analog. I would like to play more digital, but my digital setup is far behind my analog front end so it does not provide nearly the musical enjoyment. Perhaps if I had a better digital front end, things might be different.

Shaffer

Nov 2, 2012
NYS
95% analog. I do play CDs: some I like, some music (like ambient) is served better by the silver disc, no need to flip sides for background listening.

Garth

Member Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Don't anyone use this line but I am too lazy for analog. :D So voted all digital. Our R2R being a small exception.

Let's get more members voting. The poll is anonymous. Would be good to know what our members uses. So please vote!

Analog for President vote early vote often.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
I think the vast majority of us here became audiophiles even before the advent of CD, which is why the current poll stats seem surprising to me. Although some may not be willing to admit
'68 with Sansui AU/TU, Elac/Miracord 50h/Shure v15 typeII on med cruise while in USN. On return added AR 2ax then AR3's. Things progressed from there, Carver Cube, Carver Receiver, diff tables then in early 80's a Nak OM5. On a later med cruise an Akai deck. Later a Nak cassette not the Dragon one just below.

Last edited:

f1eng

Jul 24, 2014
Oxfordshire
I mainly listen to digital, usually CD but some computer files too. I play LPs on my Goldmund Reference TT every now and again, when the music I want to listen to next is on LP.
IMHO there is a much bigger difference in recording quality between recordings than there is between the media they are distributed on.
I have many fabulous sounding CDs, some from the birth of the medium, and some awful ones.
I have some superb sounding LPs and some dire ones.

IME the quality of the original recording is massively more important than the difference between CD and LP.

And also music one enjoys is great even on a poor quality recording, whereas music that is not to one's taste is unsupportable even at superlative recording quality. Certainly it is this way for me.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
*clears throat* :)

Tom

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing