File storage device for Gary's latptop server

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
I am in the great danger of losing all my audiophiles creds .. I performed some of these experiences and my results were similar to Vincent's . I used very, very good headphones (Denon D-5000) and headphones amp for the listening test but couldn't hear any differences. i even went as far as comparing music files from a Wifi connected drive .. no difference that I could hear. i use Garry's Music server and have re-enabled networking with no ill effects... I will try again with music I hate ..Maybe I will pay, then, attention to the sound and not the music...

I don't have much audiophile cred to lose, so I'll just admit it up front: I've tried boutique players...can't hear it. I've tried memory play...can't hear it. I've tried playing from battery power and shutting down everything in the system that can be shut down....can't hear it. I very rapidly came to the same conclusion you jokingly referred to above -- I need to listen to music that bores me so I can listen for these differences instead of getting distracted by the damn music, which doesn't seem to understand my audiophile objectives! Found some well recorded Western European folk music (It was not Polka, not that lively, but nearly as melodically goofball and annoying) that would encourage me to listen to anything but the music. Still couldn't hear it.

I don't know if it is my impatience with critical listening or the SNR of the voices in my head or some combination of the two, but given all that trial for nothing, I've gone with the path of greatest convenience, least resistance, and the best user interface (not to mention seamless integration with a bunch of stuff in my house; I use iTunes.

Talk about losing my audiophile cred...if I had any.

Yep, I use iTunes in a MacBook Pro with all the files right there on an internal hard drive, USB out to an inexpensive little Chinese box that isolates and reclocks, then optical to the DAC in my active monitors and digital coax to the DAC in my headphone rig, both of which have lower SNR than the virgin count on Jersey Shore. I don't hesitate for a second to surf over here and harrass Frank while I'm listening. And I hear no degredation of sound quality when I do that (well, sometimes my tweeters disappear). The fan almost never comes on and while the hard drive makes a little sound - a little more than the original, smaller one did, actually - when the music is playing...hmm, I think I've said this before -- I can't hear it.

Tim

Last edited:

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
Another Rsync user here.
It is very efficient as it sync only parts of a file that are changed.
If probably look at blocks.
If a block is changed it will be transferred.
This means it edit your files at block level.:eek:

I use it to sync the audio over the internet to a NAS at my sisters.
They might burn my house, they might even spit on my blue suede shoes but my audio is save.
This I do once a week.

I have an external HD. I sync to it once a year. If I do have some data rot, this is my fall back.

I don’t use RAID, RAID is about high availability and about storing all your cockpit errors redundantly.

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Don't you guys know that those files backed up over the net are useless? They pick up all kinds of internet jitter. And who knows what they're getting as they pass through those internet audio dating sites and mingle with cute but cheap MP3s.

Tim

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
Don't you guys know that those files backed up over the net are useless? They pick up all kinds of internet jitter. And who knows what they're getting as they pass through those internet audio dating sites and mingle with cute but cheap MP3s.

Tim

ROTFLMAO

I even tried streaming the music from my NAS over the Internet between the NAS at home and the music server. Except for a drop-out or two, when it plays, I find it very, very difficult to tell any difference. I'll lose all my audiophile cred if I too admit that I can't hear the difference ;)

garylkoh

WBF Technical Expert (Speakers & Audio Equipment)
Sep 6, 2010
Seattle, WA
www.genesisloudspeakers.com
This why I like Gary’s “music server”.
A decent quality laptop, some mild tweaking, a good DAC and all is left is to enjoy the music.

Thanks, Vincent.

If people would just go out and build the server (it'll cost less than the sales tax on a pair of audiophile speaker cables) they would have a lot more time to enjoy the music instead of stressing out over gear.

Speaking of music...... I'm listening to this on vinyl now and getting goosebumps from "Somewhere over the rainbow".

RUN out and get it:

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010

Tim

You must have a subscription to TAS

ROTFLMAO

I even tried streaming the music from my NAS over the Internet between the NAS at home and the music server. Except for a drop-out or two, when it plays, I find it very, very difficult to tell any difference. I'll lose all my audiophile cred if I too admit that I can't hear the difference ;)

Thanks, Vincent.

If people would just go out and build the server (it'll cost less than the sales tax on a pair of audiophile speaker cables) they would have a lot more time to enjoy the music instead of stressing out over gear.

Speaking of music...... I'm listening to this on vinyl now and getting goosebumps from "Somewhere over the rainbow".

RUN out and get it:

:D :D

ROTFLMAO

You guys made my day :D .. and Gary ... Please stop you have cost me a bundle with your good tastes in Music ... Now I have to get it .. is it on CD ... Love the cover :(

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Frantz, are you on spotify? I know it's compressed (there goes my rep again), but what an incredible resource for mew music. The paid membership is, I think, VBR baselined at 320kbps -- sounds great. The free service is 128' but it's still a great way to find new stuff.

Tim

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Frantz, are you on spotify? I know it's compressed (there goes my rep again), but what an incredible resource for mew music. The paid membership is, I think, VBR baselined at 320kbps -- sounds great. The free service is 128' but it's still a great way to find new stuff.

Tim

Not yet ..Will do it today

joeinid

Mar 14, 2011
NY

Tim

I totally agree with Tim. I also rely heavily on MOG.COM as well. Both really nice to stream music.

Joe

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing