Olive HD Music Servers

Vincent Kars

WBF Technical Expert: Computer Audio
Jul 1, 2010
I had a Hifidelio (sold in the USA as Olive Musica) for some time.
I liked the product tremendously, I love music, I like computers and now you have the whole in one box.
Over time my enthusiasm faded. The sound quality was only moderate, the proprietary software a bit buggy and the performance poor.
After a year I sold the unit.
Now this is my opinion about the Hifidelio so subjective and not necessary valid for any other brand but what do you get?
A box with the looks of audio gear.
Inside you find a processor, a hard disk and a sound card.
That is exactly the same as any ‘normal’ PC.

if you go this in general a bit expensive way:
• check user forums, the software is often proprietary so might be a bit buggy
• check backup facilities, some use a backup strategy making it impossible to transfer your music to another system. They probably do so to avoid problems with copyright but you are lost the moment you want to move to another system.
• Check what is inside. This is a bit hard to do but as it is a computer, how does its price tag compares with a well designed silent PC and a good quality sound card or external DAC.

Music servers: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HW/HD_players.html
Hifidelio: http://thewelltemperedcomputer.com/HiFidelio/intro.htm

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing