Can I use 15amp 125V IEC for 240V components?

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
So, punchline is, use cords that are properly rated for both voltage and amperage.
I have a sort of related question: some here in the States advocate running their amps at 240v for better performance (of course, assumes that the component is either a 'universal' one where the voltage can be set to 120/60hz or 220/50hz or a component designed for the European (and Asian?) market. That in turn would entail some professional to run a 240 volt line from the panel and a different receptacle; i would assume that the power cord between the component and the wall receptacle would then have to meet the qualifications discussed in this thread.
Two questions: first, is there a sonic improvement to doing this, either for high current solid state amps or tube amps like my Lamm SET?
And second, is there any issue re the difference in the carrier frequency- here in the States it would be 240 at 60hz rather than 220 at 50hz?
Don't worry, I'm not doing this myself, and not doing it now, just curious, since a friend was in the process of setting up some high current amps to run this way here in the States....

Speedskater

Sep 30, 2010
Cleveland Ohio
Two theoretical advantages of 240V over 120V are:
If you double the voltage you cut the current in half, so on long runs with similar sized wire you have less voltage drop. Radiated interference is related to current flow so less interference at higher supply voltage (and lower current).

Most 50Hz components can operate at 60Hz, but because 50Hz places greater demands on the power transformer, components designed for 60Hz operation probably can't operate at 50Hz. Components with motors should be operated at their designed frequency.

Last edited:

Bill Hart

May 11, 2012
Two theoretical advantages of 240V over 120V are:
If you double the voltage you cut the current in half, so on long runs with similar sized wire you have less voltage drop. Radiated interference is related to current flow so less interference at higher supply voltage.

Most 50Hz components can operate at 60Hz, but because 50Hz places greater demands on the power transformer, components designed for 60Hz operation probably can't operate at 50Hz. Components with motors should be operated at their designed frequency.
thank-you

Onepoint5

Sep 23, 2011
Just to clarify about transformers especially in high power amplifier from the US for vintage equipment. Amps were designed for the US domestic market and sold well attracting international sales. The amps were export directly with maybe a jumper change to 240V.
The drama occurs when the transformer runs at 5/6 of 60hz , it runs under fluxed and gets hot,leading to failures such as poor terminal joints. I had a Marantz 250 with this problem, made a bit of a mess after about 5 rs of normal domestic use.
These days manufacturers work on a global market and take the change in frequencies into the design.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing