Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Can I use 15amp 125V IEC for 240V components?

Quote Originally Posted by jtein View Post
    Hi folks, I'm from Malaysia and the voltage here is 240V. We use UK sockets with 13amp plugs. But many audiophiles over here prefer to terminate their power cords with US wall plugs and IECs. I notice that the IECs are usually 15amp 125V. Would using them have any adverse effect on the components that are rated 240V?
    If you have 240V from the wall, you need to rate, connectors, cable to your equipment at least the same or at a higher voltage specification. The materials that make up the cables and connectors are designed to work (forever in mind) at the voltage you apply to them. As an analogy, if you put 100lb pressure in your tyre when it's only designed for 50lb, it will burst. The same applies to insualtion materials, over time, the chemicals that make up the insualtion break down (under pressure), yes they are applied with voltage too, it's their properties that keep the dangerous bits away from our hands. This breakdown appears as a crack or a britle appearance, the worst is that you touch the connector and it falls apart in your hand and you touch 240V. Clearances between live and earth parts are very different between 240 and 120V connectors and sockets, the higher voltage, the greater the creepage distance needs to be,

For connectors, make sure that the voltage rating is stamped on the connector and at least have a CE, VDE, UL, CSA or other authority verifying the cable or connector meet standards,

Lowering the power demand by half and still having double voltage, sorry that's not right.

Site Founder And Administrator amirm's Avatar
    Good post Onepoint!
    Amir
    Founder, Madrona Digital Audio, Video, Home Automation
    Contributing Editor, Widescreen Review Magazine

Quote Originally Posted by JackD201 View Post

Yes, insurance companies are bastards.
    Only the one's with armies of lawyers....Oh, right, they ALL have armies of lawyers.

So, punchline is, use cords that are properly rated for both voltage and amperage.
    I have a sort of related question: some here in the States advocate running their amps at 240v for better performance (of course, assumes that the component is either a 'universal' one where the voltage can be set to 120/60hz or 220/50hz or a component designed for the European (and Asian?) market. That in turn would entail some professional to run a 240 volt line from the panel and a different receptacle; i would assume that the power cord between the component and the wall receptacle would then have to meet the qualifications discussed in this thread.
    Two questions: first, is there a sonic improvement to doing this, either for high current solid state amps or tube amps like my Lamm SET?
    And second, is there any issue re the difference in the carrier frequency- here in the States it would be 240 at 60hz rather than 220 at 50hz?
    Don't worry, I'm not doing this myself, and not doing it now, just curious, since a friend was in the process of setting up some high current amps to run this way here in the States....

Addicted to Best!
    Two theoretical advantages of 240V over 120V are:
    If you double the voltage you cut the current in half, so on long runs with similar sized wire you have less voltage drop. Radiated interference is related to current flow so less interference at higher supply voltage (and lower current).

Most 50Hz components can operate at 60Hz, but because 50Hz places greater demands on the power transformer, components designed for 60Hz operation probably can't operate at 50Hz. Components with motors should be operated at their designed frequency.
    Last edited by Speedskater; 08-19-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: added content

Quote Originally Posted by Speedskater View Post
    Two theoretical advantages of 240V over 120V are:
    If you double the voltage you cut the current in half, so on long runs with similar sized wire you have less voltage drop. Radiated interference is related to current flow so less interference at higher supply voltage.

Most 50Hz components can operate at 60Hz, but because 50Hz places greater demands on the power transformer, components designed for 60Hz operation probably can't operate at 50Hz. Components with motors should be operated at their designed frequency.
    thank-you

Just to clarify about transformers especially in high power amplifier from the US for vintage equipment. Amps were designed for the US domestic market and sold well attracting international sales. The amps were export directly with maybe a jumper change to 240V.
    The drama occurs when the transformer runs at 5/6 of 60hz , it runs under fluxed and gets hot,leading to failures such as poor terminal joints. I had a Marantz 250 with this problem, made a bit of a mess after about 5 rs of normal domestic use.
    These days manufacturers work on a global market and take the change in frequencies into the design.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123