Upgrade for Oppo 93

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think that anyone going for broke with the Oppo 95 ought to consider Jae Hong Lee's linear supply.
"Wait a minute" I hear you cry - "I thought Lee's PSU was for the 93, and the 95 already had a linear supply?"
Well, the 95 has a linear supply for the audio board, and an SMPS for the main board.
Dr Lee specifically wanted a linear supply for both boards - to improve digital audio and video quality - not just analogue audio.
His linear supply for the 95 is just for the main board, so a modded 95 would therefore have TWO linear PSUs.
If I was going to use the analogue outputs on my 95, I would get his LPSU.

Nick

how much is this linear psu for the digital/video?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I think that anyone going for broke with the Oppo 95 ought to consider Jae Hong Lee's linear supply.
"Wait a minute" I hear you cry - "I thought Lee's PSU was for the 93, and the 95 already had a linear supply?"
Well, the 95 has a linear supply for the audio board, and an SMPS for the main board.
Dr Lee specifically wanted a linear supply for both boards - to improve digital audio and video quality - not just analogue audio.
His linear supply for the 95 is just for the main board, so a modded 95 would therefore have TWO linear PSUs.
If I was going to use the analogue outputs on my 95, I would get his LPSU.Nick

I agree, and Dr. Lee is fantastic. But, I want more than just LPS. I wnat the Modwright tube mods, outboard power supply, bybee music rails, upgraded caps etc... Hence "the full monty":cool:

welwynnick

Mar 13, 2011
I've been following Dan Wright's work for some time, and nearly bought one of his players recently. He seems to concentrate on the analogue board, and I THINK he still uses the SMPS for his Oppo 95 supply to the main board. The reasoning is this line from the Oppo 95 page on his website:

•Upgrades to stock digital power supplies for lower jitter and less digital edge.

Plus this post in his 'Circles Forum:

Total redesign and replacement of single-ended and fully balanced output stage with our own tube analog stage (6SN7 driver tubes).
External PS (new design) with one rectifier (5AR4, GZ34, 5U4, 5V4 and equivalents) and two voltage regulator tubes (13EM7. 12EM7 and suitable subs.)
'Truth' umbilical of our own design.
Upgraded Cardas GRFA series RCA's for stereo outs.
Upgraded Furutech cryo-treated IEC.
Highest Quality resistors in key signal path applications.
All signal wire = 99.9999% pure, cryo-treated solid-core silver wire from Cardas metals.
Upgrades to internal stock power supplies (Linear power supply replacement for stock SMPS not included )
Damping mods for chassis and transport.
External supply available with optional 'Hole' to allow for use of taller, larger diameter tubes other than 5AR4/GZ34 (just ask).
There are also some pictures here:

http://www.modwright.com/gallery/album.php?s=oppo-bdp83se-mod

It looks busy in there, so I don't know if there's any more room for PSU hardware.

I'm currently working on an EXTERNAL linear power supply for a Meridian processor (notice that Meridian are finally offering linear supply upgrades, amongst other things, for their recent players and processors)

http://www.meridian.co.uk/the-collection/reference-upgrades.aspx

Nick

Last edited:

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I've been following Dan Wright's work for some time, and nearly bought one of his players recently. He seems to concentrate on the analogue board, and I THINK he still uses the SMPS for his Oppo 95 supply to the main board. The reasoning is this line from the Oppo 95 page on his website:

•Upgrades to stock digital power supplies for lower jitter and less digital edge.

There are also some pictures here:

http://www.modwright.com/gallery/album.php?s=oppo-bdp83se-mod

It looks busy in there, so I don't know if there's any more room for PSU hardware.

I'm currently working on an EXTERNAL linear power supply for a Meridian processor (notice that Meridian are finally offering linear supply upgrades, amongst other things, for their recent players and processors)

http://www.meridian.co.uk/the-collection/reference-upgrades.aspx

Nick

I know for a fact he is working on some exciting new things for the 103/105. Just email him at Dan@modwright.com

HedgeHog

Mar 12, 2012
Richmond, BC
Hi Jim,

I know for a fact he is working on some exciting new things for the 103/105. Just email him at Dan@modwright.com

Is he doing audio and video mods just for you? Kristin emailed me saying the mods are ready but when I asked about LPS for the video side, she said Dan's only doing the tube mods for the 2-ch audio stage. He will consider the video side later and when there's enough interest. Just want to clarify.

Thx in advance,
-Hedwig

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
-- Hedwig, true, KahunaCanuck (Mike) has also the SSP-800, so is Roger Dressler (ex Dolby Labs man, and a member here too).

But Roger doesn't post no more; he's too busy with his new job at SRS Surround Sound. ...Or some like that.
Anyway, he's always on the lookout for the new frontiers in surround sound hound. :b

We live in good times; Oppo 103 and 105. :b ...And modded 93s as well. ...And 113 and 115 on the horizon ...

Da was kind of a bump. :b

Last edited:

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I'd like to see if the LPS makes a difference on the video output. Worth a try at its price. The 1's & 0's brigade says its impossible, but I have seen distinct video improvements using esoteric noise filtering devices by Alan Mayer and Rick Schultz on my blu-ray player and calibrated TV.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I'd like to see if the LPS makes a difference on the video output. Worth a try at its price. The 1's & 0's brigade says its impossible, but I have seen distinct video improvements using esoteric noise filtering devices by Alan Mayer and Rick Schultz on my blu-ray player and calibrated TV.

That is what 4K is for.;) But, then I would have to sell my calibrated Runco plasma.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
That is what 4K is for.;) But, then I would have to sell my calibrated Runco plasma.

I actually saw the Sony 84" 4k a few weeks ago in a proper Sony showroom. It seriously was the best picture I have ever seen, by a long shot. But we all know the story, no content, no front end player, our favorite movies will never look as good as that demo feed...... it's just a tease for now.

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
I actually saw the Sony 84" 4k a few weeks ago in a proper Sony showroom. It seriously was the best picture I have ever seen, by a long shot. But we all know the story, no content, no front end player, our favorite movies will never look as good as that demo feed...... it's just a tease for now.

Oppo kind of does 4K- upsamples it from 1080p.

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
Oppo kind of does 4K- upsamples it from 1080p.

This is exactly what I am waiting to see or hear reports about. How well can a 1080p image be upscaled to the 4k screen? Its a big jump.

You have those newish bybee rails in your Oppo?

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
This is exactly what I am waiting to see or hear reports about. How well can a 1080p image be upscaled to the 4k screen? Its a big jump.

You have those newish bybee rails in your Oppo?

Yes

MarinJim

Feb 2, 2011
Where exactly do you have them? I have wanted to try the music rails for quite a while.

Sorry, dunno. Please ask Dan Wright.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing