Upgrade for Oppo 93

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
I got my linear power supply from Jaehong for the Cambrudge Audio 751 BD player the other day. For those who do not know, the 751 and 752 players from CA use an identical Mediatek reference video board design to the Oppo 93/103.
The only difference is on the audio side, with the CA having essentially a late version DAC magic onboard, and is probably equivalent in audio performance to the 95/105 players rather than the 93/103.

Anyway, the CA power supplies are almost the same except for the two connectors, so Jaehong has just released CA compatible version of his LPS.

I have had a series of DAC's in my system before, but for the last 12 months have been back to a one box front end while rebuilding the rest of my system. All I can say is I cannot remember having heard this amount of detail before with any of my previous setups.

I will give one example, I muck around with TV calibration and use one particular scene from the movie Quantum of Solace as a visual test. I have watched and listened to this scene literally hundreds of times before. With this LPS in place - I could distinctly hear a caribbean radio station playing in the background during quite a few sequences from this scene. all the times i have heard this scene previously - it had been audibly obscured. I could go on but it's just a veils being removed cliche.

For $280 this is a no brainer upgrade for any Oppo or CA blur-ray player. You would never get this jump in performance by spending $300 on a seperate DAC.
It just reaffirms to me that switch mode power supplies are an audibly degrading feature of any small signal output stage.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I got my linear power supply from Jaehong for the Cambrudge Audio 751 BD player the other day. For those who do not know, the 751 and 752 players from CA use an identical Mediatek reference video board design to the Oppo 93/103.
The only difference is on the audio side, with the CA having essentially a late version DAC magic onboard, and is probably equivalent in audio performance to the 95/105 players rather than the 93/103.

Anyway, the CA power supplies are almost the same except for the two connectors, so Jaehong has just released CA compatible version of his LPS.

I have had a series of DAC's in my system before, but for the last 12 months have been back to a one box front end while rebuilding the rest of my system. All I can say is I cannot remember having heard this amount of detail before with any of my previous setups.

I will give one example, I muck around with TV calibration and use one particular scene from the movie Quantum of Solace as a visual test. I have watched and listened to this scene literally hundreds of times before. With this LPS in place - I could distinctly hear a caribbean radio station playing in the background during quite a few sequences from this scene. all the times i have heard this scene previously - it had been audibly obscured. I could go on but it's just a veils being removed cliche.

For $280 this is a no brainer upgrade for any Oppo or CA blur-ray player. You would never get this jump in performance by spending $300 on a seperate DAC.
It just reaffirms to me that switch mode power supplies are an audibly degrading feature of any small signal output stage.

very cool...which scene from Quantum of Solace? C'mon...you mention this, and you dont think a bunch of us aren't going to flip it on tonite to watch and listen? ;)

agisthos

Oct 14, 2012
very cool...which scene from Quantum of Solace? C'mon...you mention this, and you dont think a bunch of us aren't going to flip it on tonite to watch and listen? ;)

haha of course. Its the start of a chapter - Olga/Camille arrives at the docks to lambast her french boyfriend for trying to kill her. When she gets out the car, walks through the gate e.t.c there is caribbean bongo drums being played on a radio - presumably where the dock laborers are working just offscreen.

I just never noticed it before ever, the ambient background detail was obscured previously.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing