Fremer on the MBL

Status
Not open for further replies.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
I don't know if Gregg has heard them or not, but I somehow doubt he is making it up. I would say your impressions of the MBL speakers will be based on where you heard them and how well the system was set up. As I said before, I heard them at the RMAF with an all MBL set up and I couldn't wait to get out of the room which I found very disappointing. But, I didn't write them off because of that because I know they couldn't have been set up optimally in that hotel room. I think they needed more room to breathe and others including you don't seem to like the MBL electronics.

The rap on the MBL speakers is that they are inefficient and needs lots of SS watts and current to drive them correctly. You have contradicted those thoughts by saying that your VAC tubes drive them with great results. Too bad we live so far apart because I would love to hear your system.

Gregg hasn't heard them, just look at his response. I didn't see any 101E speakers in the pics did you?

It gets tiresome reading such misleading crap.

I have heard MBL's 101E's driven by numerous gear, here's a pic of a guy driving them with MasterSound 300B's and is very happy indeed.

Speakers: MBL 101E Radialstrahler
Amplifiers: Mastersound 300B Special Edition Monoblocks
Amplifiers: Mastersound 300B Monoblocks
Preamplifier: Kondo Audio Note Japan KSL-M7

Attachments

• MBL300B..jpg
    MBL300B..jpg
    5.6 KB · Views: 242

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Gregg hasn't heard them, just look at his response. I didn't see any 101E speakers in the pics did you?

It gets tiresome reading such misleading crap.

I have heard MBL's 101E's driven by numerous gear, here's a pic of a guy driving them with MasterSound 300B's and is very happy indeed.

Speakers: MBL 101E Radialstrahler
Amplifiers: Mastersound 300B Special Edition Monoblocks
Amplifiers: Mastersound 300B Monoblocks
Preamplifier: Kondo Audio Note Japan KSL-M7

here's proof that the MBL101e was at RMAF 2010. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/0710/
heres'proof Gregadd attended RMAF 2010 http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1837-Gregadd-does-rmaf2010

I have repeated expereince with the MBL line, all disappointing.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
Also I, attended, http://www.capitalaudiofest.com/p546.html, last years Capitol AudioFest MBL was present. So I have given MBL numerous oppurtnities to shine. Yet the clouds remained. i will be attendibg this years Capitol Audiofest. Should Ultra Home Audio choose to schlep them up again I will give them yet another chance. At least they will use those beutiful R2R decks as source material.

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
To me there isn't anything out there that's perfect, the differences will include the room it's self, set-up, electronics up front including cables feeding playing substantial differences so really at the end of the day the review means nothing to me.

That's why I personally get what ever peeks my interest home so I can try and evaluate, I'm not building my system for others pleasures.

Last night I heard a mega buck system and it was so detailed it was ripping my head off, I was fatigued within a few songs just wanting it to be over already. I believe the owner must have loss of hearing because it did not seem to bother him.

I have never gone to a life performance and experienced such so it left me wondering :confused: why would someone want to have a set-up of such.
Dev, I know exactly where you're coming from: in part, to me, it's because people have certain expectations of hifi systems in general, and if the sound doesn't match up to that then to them it's a no-goer.

Live sound is very intense, but normally not harsh or fatiguing. It's very easy to get gear, especially expensive stuff, to do the intense thing; much, much harder to eliminate the harsh factor, simply throwing money at that issue very rarely solves the "problem" in a real sense.

The MBLs will simply do what they're told, if insufficient effort has been put into fine-tuning everything, but everything, then I'm sure they will across as being quite obnoxious in those circumstances ...

Frank

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
here's proof that the MBL101e was at RMAF 2010. http://www.enjoythemusic.com/news/0710/
heres'proof Gregadd attended RMAF 2010 http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showthread.php?1837-Gregadd-does-rmaf2010

I have repeated expereince with the MBL line, all disappointing.

You have lost any credibility that you may thought you had by pushing those keys misleading others reading.

All one has to do is refer to your prior thread with the attachment saying;

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...TOL-AUDIO-FEST

Pictures taken by yours truly.Can we now get back to substatntive arguments?

I don't see any 101E speakers so stop misleading others with your nonsense, I called you out on it :p

You obviously have a hidden agenda, say what you may but you have zero credibility. :D

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
One thing I have learned from this forum is that it's ok if you slam someone if you put a smiley face after the slam. Kind of like " Bless his/her heart."

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
One thing I have learned from this forum is that it's ok if you slam someone if you put a smiley face after the slam. Kind of like " Bless his/her heart."

Didn't they teach you that in Finishing School Mark? :( :) ;) :p:D:cool::eek:

Last edited:

KeithR

VIP/Donor
May 7, 2010
Encino, CA

Mark - im right, you're wrong :)

Last edited by a moderator:

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Didn't they teach you that in Finishing School Mark? :( :) ;) :p:D:cool::eek:

Nah, I was too rough for finishing school. I did attend the Larry Pearson school of table manner etiquette though. It was a rough school with daily beatings for the offenders.

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
You have lost any credibility that you may thought you had by pushing those keys misleading others reading.

All one has to do is refer to your prior thread with the attachment saying;

http://www.whatsbestforum.com/showth...TOL-AUDIO-FEST

Pictures taken by yours truly.Can we now get back to substatntive arguments?

I don't see any 101E speakers so stop misleading others with your nonsense, I called you out on it :p

You obviously have a hidden agenda, say what you may but you have zero credibility. :D

The evidence speaks for itself. The truth is there for anyone who cares to know it.

DEV

Oct 19, 2011
The evidence speaks for itself. The truth is there for anyone who cares to know it.

Truth please! you obviously are still bothered being called out so why don't you show us then.

The only MBL speakers I see that you refered to taking pictures of are in the picture I have copied and provided and they are not MBL 101E speakers.

It's okay that you don't like what ever but going out of your way posting such nonsence clearly demonstrates a hidden agenda, reading other past threads of yours you seem not to care too much about MBL product so why post as you do, it's far from being constructive. Reminds me of individules posting on the Audiogon site.

Still waiting for a picture of your system along with listing your gear, would be interesting what you are comparing to :D

I will say the best part of that whole picture is the attractive lady ;)

Attachments

• mbl..jpg
    mbl..jpg
    472.5 KB · Views: 305
Status
Not open for further replies.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing