Most under-rated guitarist of all time?

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes

I don't think Doyle Dykes is under-rated. He's one of the sponsor guitarists for Taylor guitar's! OTOH, somewhat unknown, yes.
Most of the guys mentioned so far are not well known, but under-rated, I'm not so sure:confused:.

IMO, someone like Robert Lucas is under-rated and he's not well known. Outside of a'phile circles that is;)

jazdoc

Member Sponsor
Aug 7, 2010
Bellevue
David Lindley
Vernon Reid
Bill Frissell
Jack Rose
Dean McPhee
Well known but very underrated in IMO...Dave Edmunds, Prince, Allen Collins (Lynyrd Skynyrd) and Lindsey Buckingham to name a few

Randy Bessinger

Jun 29, 2010
Sonny Landreth. Amazing sounds out of one guitar but you need to watch him close-up to see what he is doing. Melodic solos from Jude Cole.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Steve Stevens pretty much never got out of Billy Idol's shadow. Not many people knew he was good with nylon as well as steel.

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
Jack, great call on Stevens.

I have many of his albums but my favorite all time cut is from his Black Light Syndrome (which also had Terry Bozzio and Tony Levin) album, track 3, Duende

That cut especially the last 2 minutes will light up any system and will tell you if your system can perform or not and will quickly reveal the shortcomings of any system.

Frank if you read this I can only suggest that this one cut will give you homework for the next 25 years ;)

BTW it was fellow member here KeithR (who I met at CES many years ago) who introduced me to that amazing track

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
That cut especially the last 2 minutes will light up any system and will tell you if your system can perform or not and will quickly reveal the shortcomings of any system.

Frank if you read this I can only suggest that this one cut will give you homework for the next 25 years ;)

BTW it was fellow member here KeithR (who I met at CES many years ago) who introduced me to that amazing track
Steve, thanks for the tip -- I'll check it out! :b

Frank

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
Good call, Steve ... I just looked up the piece on YouTube, and you can pick the quality of the track even on the PC speakers. What it's got going for it is the drumming: excellent cymbal sounds and spot on tom tom transients.

So now to get myself a decent copy to try out ... :b

Frank

Steve Williams

Site Founder, Site Owner, Administrator
I'll concur with Duende. Steve told me about this album and that track is demo all the way.

Lee

asI said, it will quickly let you know about the system in which you hear it

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Good call, Steve ... I just looked up the piece on YouTube, and you can pick the quality of the track even on the PC speakers. What it's got going for it is the drumming: excellent cymbal sounds and spot on tom tom transients.

So now to get myself a decent copy to try out ... :b

Frank

Frank, can you please post that direct 'youtube' link?

Thanx :b

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
Sure, Bob: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=22t-lal7524

It's the first thing that came up in Google using "black light syndrome duende" ...

Enjoy,
Frank

Nice, Flamenco! :cool:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Bozzio (Black) and Levin (Light) are no slouches either :)

Here's Stevens (Syndrome) shredding an ax and carrying Billy on his back like he always did performing one the anthems of our generation

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing