Most under-rated guitarist of all time?

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Buchanan is a joy. Gallagher is a complete turn-off, I find him overrated. His tone drives me nuts. IMHO, of course.

es347

VIP/Donor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Frank Gambale

Reactions: Long Live Analog

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
Caesar, do you mean under- rated or unknown. Most of the guys mentioned so far are not as popular as they could be, but not underrated, IMO.
There are many great players out there, most of them are not so well known, an example of this would be: Robben Ford. Not under-rated by those in the know, but not very well known:(.
Under appreciated may be a better term, IMHO.:D

http://youtu.be/1JCbDNWtEr8

Last edited:

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
My favorite "lead" guitar players are not the fast gun slingers, but the guys whose riffs define a song as much or more than the vocal melodies, whose solos are little songs of their own. Guitar players who play like songwriters. Some of these players are very famous, but they're almost always underrated, because we think of fast, bluesy, extended, improvisational soloing as "great"'guitar playing - the gun slingers.

Some of the more famous examples of the kind of player I'm talking about -- George Harrison, Scotty Moore, James Burton, Mike Campbell, Pete Anderson, Martin Barre, Steve Howe (though he has it all and is not underrated).

Tim

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
Martin Simpson, Bruce Cockburn, ditto George Harrison.

Johnny Vinyl

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I listened to Roy on vinyl regularly back in the late '70's...Time for me to get some vinyl of him again. Thnx for the reminder.

Roy's "In The beginning" saw many many turns on the TT in the 70's. A classic album and thanks indeed for the reminder...time to seek out another copy.

Martin Simpson, Bruce Cockburn, ditto George Harrison.

Relatively well known, but IMO one of the underrated ones as well.

MylesBAstor

Apr 20, 2010
New York City
Davey, good call on Robben Ford.

How about Ramblin' Jack Elliot and Mac Mcleod? Both inventing picking styles (flat or clawhammer) that influenced Donovan who then taught these styles to a host of other rock musicians including McCartney and Lennon (see White Album and other songs).

Or Bert Jansch?

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
How about Ramblin' Jack Elliot and Mac Mcleod? Both inventing picking styles (flat or clawhammer) that influenced Donovan who then taught these styles to a host of other rock musicians including McCartney and Lennon (see White Album and other songs).

Or Bert Jansch?

I saw Jansch and Renbourn play in a beautiful (aesthetically and acoustically) small hall years ago. Renbourn was clearly the "better" player -- much more controlled, precise, clean -- nearly flawless technique on nearly classically complex material. Jansch was the opposite. He played with a wreckless abandon that bordered on sloppy without ever quite slipping over the edge. One could believe that at any moment is hands would fly off the instrument or he would fly off the stool. But the passion! My God the man was compelling to watch. I believe I once read someone referring to Jansch as the Jimi Hendrix of acoustic guitar. Not far off, that.

Tim

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
Roy's "In The beginning" saw many many turns on the TT in the 70's. A classic album and thanks indeed for the reminder...time to seek out another copy.

Relatively well known, but IMO one of the underrated ones as well.

It's shocking how obscure Bruce Cockburn is down here in the US. Great player. Mumbles a rather effective barritone as well.

Tim

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Jansch and Renbourn

Tim

Nothing but
on these two, but I would hardly call them underrated.

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Buzz Feiten, Dave Martone, Jimmy Herring

es347

Apr 20, 2010
Midwest fly over state..
Tommy Emmanuel, Doyle Dykes

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing