Is Speaker height important to creating realism?

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Cripes, I hope this doesn't open up the vertical imaging love-fest all over again.

treitz3

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 25, 2011
The tube lair in beautiful Rock Hill, SC
Me too, mep!

Hey, ceasar. I do believe it is. This is based on experience and observations and not based on anything else. I have had good results raising the sub woofer height to tweeter level and I currently have both of my mains not only on spikes but a plinth as well. This puts the entire system at what I would consider the best possible [physical] height to achieve the the realism I am currently enjoying and yes, it is much better than the stock height. In many aspects of the playback.

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
I can say emphatically yes! I had W/P 7's in my studio and I would close my eyes and get a balcony presentation of a performance or if Nat King Cole was singing in front of me, he would be 4' tall. I had to get some speakers that would give me a full image presentation.

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Uh-oh. Here we go.

Johnny Vinyl

May 16, 2010
Calgary, AB
I think Napoleon would command high price as a public speaker, so NO!

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity
You betcha it does. Like they say size matters:D

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
i went from SF STrads to Wilson X1/Grand Slamms...and yes, for me, it made a big difference. Was it simply the height? Almost certainly not...it was also the soundstage size, effortlessness of delivery...all manner of things...which i think we at least in part aided by the sheer size (not just height) and thus ability to deliver dynamics (macro and micro) of these large speakers.

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
I think Turntable did the same...from SF Strads to Wilson Maxx3s.

NorthStar

Feb 8, 2011
Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada
The height of the drivers is proportional to the height of your enjoyment.
And directly related to room acoustics, same as their positioning on the horizontal plane.
...And from the front and side walls. ...Same with the floor and ceiling.

The sound waves at the sweet spot corroborate with definite measurements in the 3D acoustic space.
Better driver's height in the proper loudspeakers for a given room's overall dimensions,
including the height of its ceiling, the better the sound reproduction and music listening enjoyment.

Soooo, YES! :b

* And same with the drivers from your subwoofer(s);
their height dictates their sound characteristic at the main listening position.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I hate to admit it but yes. Having said that, height is relative. Get a lower chair.

DaveyF

Jul 31, 2010
La Jolla, Calif USA
I think height of the speaker is important. However,IMO too much height can also bring problems.
When I owned Acoustat 2+2's and 3's, I always thought some of the presentation seemed unnatural, as if it was coming in too high and had no foundation to the stage. OTOH, I have a friend who owns original Quads on their original stands, they strike me as being too low. Perhaps it depends on where the tweeter is in relation to your seat and the floor/ceiling.

Last edited:

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
Perhaps it depends on where the tweeter is in relation to the your seat and the floor/ceiling.

My thoughts exactly. Add the dispersion characteristics to that as well.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
My thoughts exactly. Add the dispersion characteristics to that as well.

Mine too! Something as simple as sitting in the infamous sweet spot, standing then sitting on the floor may raise ones eyebrows a little. Course this could lead to a little speaker risin'. I only like to sit on the floor in a tepee!! Speakers going up a few inches , seems more practical then one going lower to the floor. Course this is phile territory, practicality can be an issue.

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
I kinda like the teepee thing once in a while. LOL

I've seen Ron Party do it once as well.

For quasi-pointsources my listening height is usually ears between the tweeter and midrange and not tweeter level. I dunno, it's not the convention but I guess psychologically it feels more assuring in the "coherence" sense. When I first got into audio seriously I was playing with a lot of horns. Getting the "aim" right must have stuck.

Ronm1

Member Sponsor
Feb 21, 2011
wtOMitMutb NH
Its funny, Jack. In our early HT days, on family movie nights I was always on the floor. Not enough seats!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
During college parties I was always on the floor too.

Don't ask! LOL!

Phelonious Ponk

Jun 30, 2010
They (the drivers in your cabinets) are supposed to all cohere into a single point source by the time the sound reaches your ears, if they do that, then as long as the image is at the "right" height, it shouldn't matter.

Tim

Robh3606

Aug 24, 2010
Destiny
I would have to say the the speaker height in it's self is not that important. You want to be on the designed listening axis which in most cases is having the tweeters at ear height or slightly above. I have several speaker pairs and what I do is use chair where I can adjust the height. I also use different stands under the speakers to get the tweeters at about my seated ear height. I use the chair to fine tune my seated height.

Rob:)

Attachments

• Array%204344%20Comparison.jpg
    Array%204344%20Comparison.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 261
Last edited:

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing