TAS leaves the Maxx 3 off the Editor's Choice Awards - Ouch!!!!

caesar

May 30, 2010
It could be an honest mistake due to information overload.

But could it be because the TAS Editor is actively engaged in peddling the similarly priced Q5? Could it also be a coincidence that the same editor
- recently slammed Scaena in a review
- said that the Nolas need a cabinet re-design
- MBL sounded "atrocious" at CES, while most said it was Best of Show?

All of the above are competing with the Q5. Still a coincidence?

Ugly either way.

FrantzM

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Caesar

I haven't read it yet , not would i take what they think as gospel .. An observation.. You really but really don't hold Magico close to your heart or so it seems .. What is so ugly about a group of guys not liking a or no longer liking a given product? or preferring a competing product for that matter? Do they have to like Wilson?

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar

I haven't read it yet , not would i take what they think as gospel .. An observation.. You really but really don't hold Magico close to your heart or so it seems .. What is so ugly about a group of guys not liking a or no longer liking a given product? or preferring a competing product for that matter? Do they have to like Wilson?

Frantz, nothing against Magico. I don't have anything against dCS, either. And I don't have anything against Bryston either. But all 3 lack emotional resonance of a live show and appeal to the audiophile rather than the music lover. It's all drek, IMHO, but there is a market for it. And a lot of friends like that stuff. It's subjective and nothing wrong with it.

But the real issue for me is TAS's over- promotion of Magico. Why did Willie Sutton rob banks? It's where the money is. Likewise, if love the high end and state of the art audio gear, the coverage is really slim. You have to read TAS. Stereophile seems to have some kind of guilt against covering the high end, especially with Wes Phillips out of the picture, so I don't bring them up either. But TAS has forgotten that their name is the Absolute Sound, not the Magico standard. Every blog post, every review, every show report brings up Magico the standard. If they constantly brought up dCS or Bryston, I would be all over them as well.

I do find it odd that the most famous speaker company gets an excellent speaker left out. No, it's not as good as the Vivid Giya at that price point, but it's excellent none the less. And the Giya is not on the list either....But look who is guarding the hen house. And what are the incentives?

XV-1

May 24, 2010
Sydney
Oh no!!

My Maxx3's are now up for sale ;)

Personally I let my subscription lapse last year, and have not missed it.

asiufy

Industry Expert/VIP Donor
Jul 8, 2011
San Diego, CA
almaaudio.com
Frantz, nothing against Magico. I don't have anything against dCS, either. And I don't have anything against Bryston either. But all 3 lack emotional resonance of a live show and appeal to the audiophile rather than the music lover. It's all drek, IMHO, but there is a market for it. And a lot of friends like that stuff. It's subjective and nothing wrong with it.

caesar,

Since you're being very direct in your words, I'll be direct too: bullsh*t! I am a music lover first, I've been buying records since I was 12 (I'm 38 now), have tons of CDs and LPs, definitely non-audiophile stuff. And I love my dCS. So, please stop with such generalisations, as they're plain bullsh*t.
You don't like the brand, or prefer something else, fine! Just don't make these silly generalisations...

alexandre

caesar

May 30, 2010
caesar,

Since you're being very direct in your words, I'll be direct too: bullsh*t! I am a music lover first, I've been buying records since I was 12 (I'm 38 now), have tons of CDs and LPs, definitely non-audiophile stuff. And I love my dCS. So, please stop with such generalisations, as they're plain bullsh*t.
You don't like the brand, or prefer something else, fine! Just don't make these silly generalisations...

alexandre

Easy, there. Like I said, it's subjective. I will be starting a thread to take a serious, deep dive into subjectivity soon, but I have been too busy to bring together all of my thoughts.

rbbert

Dec 12, 2010
Reno, NV
It's actually hard to find a bad review of any of Magico's Q speakers anywhere. Remember, Jeff Fritz also chose them for his current "World's Best" system, and I dare say in the larger audiophile world you'll find more people who would criticize Wilson (than Magico) for sounding "unmusical". And the most common opinion of dCS I've read is how "musical" that line is.

rockitman

Member Sponsor
Sep 20, 2011
Northern NY
Imagine depending only on audio mag editor/writer opinions in making audio component purchasing decisions ? :eek: So many variables, so many biases.

audioguy

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Near Atlanta, GA but not too near!
I don't have anything against dCS, either. And I don't have anything against Bryston either. But all 3 lack emotional resonance of a live show and appeal to the audiophile rather than the music lover.

No offense but that is one of the more a$inine statements I have ever read on this forum. Only appeal to the audiophile and not the music lover????

Horse feathers !!!!!!!!

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
TAS printed an errata in the latest issue regarding the unintentional omission of the Maxx 3. The intended write up was included.

So it was information overload after all.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
much ado about nothing

The only new twist is that we have now Audiophile conspiracy theorists

Asamel

Jan 22, 2012
Philly
The owner of my favorite audio store warned me to be careful about listening to audiophiles. He said that some guys can tell you about every amplifier ever produced but can't name a single conductor.

Bruce in PA

cjfrbw

Apr 20, 2010
Pleasanton, CA
The owner of my favorite audio store warned me to be careful about listening to audiophiles. He said that some guys can tell you about every amplifier ever produced but can't name a single conductor.

Bruce in PA

That is a baseless slander. There is oxygen free copper, polyester capacitors, resistors, silver cables, and hi end power cords, so there!

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
I think, that is horrible and can really ruin the Day.
But it will make us stronger... :)

Gregadd

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Metro DC
That is a baseless slander. There is oxygen free copper, polyester capacitors, resistors, silver cables, and hi end power cords, so there!

More sense of humor is needed around here. Doesn't Wilson get enough attension around here? Do we have to make the enoitre line a chosen son?

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010

Took me a second but :D

indeed ! !! :D

caesar

May 30, 2010
More sense of humor is needed around here. Doesn't Wilson get enough attension around here? Do we have to make the enoitre line a chosen son?

Greggadd, you have a point. Wilson is a popular company and can easily take this hit. But can Nola and Scaena? They are small companies. Evaluating them under show conditions or in inappropriate rooms doesn't really help them. Comments like Valin's can easily destroy them.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing