System Builders, How Does Your System get a SOUL?

caesar

May 30, 2010
We all have heard super duper expensive systems that just did not have "it". We were not moved. We thought you spent $100K on your Wilsons or Magicos or Focals + $100K on your ancillaries and it sucks!

But what makes a system get that unmeasurable, unquantifiable, intangible, seemingly mystical capability to convey the emotions of the performance while exalting and stimulating the person listening?

So what was it? Room treatments? The right amp? source? pre-amp? Cables? Cable elevators? a combination?

What gave your system soul?

Bruce B

WBF Founding Member, Pro Audio Production Member
Apr 25, 2010
Snohomish, WA
www.pugetsoundstudios.com
It's all cumulative synergy. No one thing can make a system... but ONE thing can certainy be the difference between agony and ecstasy!

mep

Member Sponsor & WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Caesar- (aka Johnny Apple Thread) First we need to have a long discussion to argue about what “soul” means. Then the objectivists can jump in and argue that you can’t measure soul so therefore it doesn’t exist. From there we can wander on into synergy and how it affects the non-existing soul. Then we can top it off with a heaping helping of other audiophile jargon and how much or how little it takes to buy soul. And by then we will have the devil himself interested in this thread as he is always on the lookout to procure some souls. In other words, I predict this thread will go to hell in a hand basket.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
.... And by then we will have the devil himself interested in this thread as he is always on the lookout to procure some souls. In other words, I predict this thread will go to hell in a hand basket.
mep you're one of a kind ... Man ! rotflamao

:D

:D

caesar

May 30, 2010
Caesar- (aka Johnny Apple Thread) First we need to have a long discussion to argue about what “soul” means. Then the objectivists can jump in and argue that you can’t measure soul so therefore it doesn’t exist. From there we can wander on into synergy and how it affects the non-existing soul. Then we can top it off with a heaping helping of other audiophile jargon and how much or how little it takes to buy soul. And by then we will have the devil himself interested in this thread as he is always on the lookout to procure some souls. In other words, I predict this thread will go to hell in a hand basket.

You may be right, MEP. It may go to hell. I did throw in a bone to objectivists by mentioning room treatments. But I have no doubt that you surely know what i am talking about. And yes, it is subjective, but there is a "rightness" about some systems and a "wrongness" about others. The right ones get that human connection right, while others just sound cold and mechanical...

(BTW, one day I will start a thread in every sub-forum, just to ipss you off, my friend.)

mep

Apr 20, 2010
Caesar-I'm just teasing you. And you’re right; I know exactly what you’re talking about. And because I know what you are talking about, I also think it will be impossible to quantify it in terms that anything nearing a consensus on this forum would buy into. The way you set it up practically guarantees it:

But what makes a system get that unmeasurable, unquantifiable, intangible, seemingly mystical capability to convey the emotions of the performance while exalting and stimulating the person listening?

When you use words like “un-measureable,” “unquantifiable,” “intangible,” “seemingly mystical capability,” that opens up a whole can of objectivist whoop-ass. Hell, it might be two cans. In fact, it might even be three.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

There's the haves and the have nots.:b:( And I ain't telling:p

Syntax

Feb 26, 2012
At The Dark Side
So what was it? Room treatments? The right amp? source? pre-amp? Cables? Cable elevators? a combination?

What gave your system soul?

I hire always - before playing - a retired Indian Medicine Man. He howls and dances around my System. With some luck it also starts raining outside what supports the molecular flow in my cables (and it is also good for the flowers from my wife. WAF is top for that). it sounds great. He is Apache I think. Per Dance 15,-- $
Soul Stage +1$ extra, Jazz Stage ,75$ extra, Classical Soundstage 2,25$....
It's worth it.

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Hi

Let's just agree that a system with "soul" is as much a bovine dropping as anything audiophiles have ever come up with... Now a system become sentient? Really? And some person is able to perceive the sentience of said system but not others? So feet stomping or tapping become a reliable indication of a system worthiness?
The less that is said about this notion of "system soul" the better ... let's drop it ...

LL21

Dec 26, 2010
Agree with Bruce...its the combination. After all, people call it a sound system for a reason. Put a Ferrari on bicycle tires...put an airplane engine on a mack truck frame...

i have heard SF Pianos with a Krell Evo402 sound magical, Quad 2905 with high current amps...and I was impressed but not in love with Alexandrias and Evo 1 and Evo 2s... That said, when i heard the X1/Grand slamms with ARC Reference equipment, it was stunning...and i realized (again) why we are all in this crazy hobby.

caesar

May 30, 2010
Hi

Let's just agree that a system with "soul" is as much a bovine dropping as anything audiophiles have ever come up with... Now a system become sentient? Really? And some person is able to perceive the sentience of said system but not others? So feet stomping or tapping become a reliable indication of a system worthiness?
The less that is said about this notion of "system soul" the better ... let's drop it ...

Ok Frantz, so if your dealer tries to sell you that $20K cable, you will send him away. But you would surely pull your speaker 5 feet away from the walls, assuming you had the space... And you would also drive them with enough power...

caesar

May 30, 2010
When you use words like “un-measureable,” “unquantifiable,” “intangible,” “seemingly mystical capability,” that opens up a whole can of objectivist whoop-ass. Hell, it might be two cans. In fact, it might even be three.

I love those words!!!

fas42

Addicted To Best
Jan 8, 2011
NSW Australia
No one thing can make a system... but ONE thing can certainy be the difference between agony and ecstasy!
Precisely.

Of course, that terrible swear word, "distortion", is the crucial element of the mix. But, as we all know, expensive equipment doesn't have any of that nasty stuff, or if it does, its distortion is of the finest pedigree, perfectly bred from the best parents. Since we have been told by all the important people that distortion has absolutely nothing to do with the sound of a system, then the quality of the sound must have something to do with magical characteristics of the components, that can be summed up by appropriately mysterious words like "synergy". Which means that all attempts to truly understand what contributes to good sound are doomed to fail ...

But I hear that a few, obviously misguided individuals are trying to bring "soul" to the table -- which equals truthful playback of the recording, ie. minimal distortion -- by reducing distortion elements to an absolutely lowest level, so they become subjectively inaudible. Poor, deluded fools are they ... ;);)

Frank

Last edited:

Imperial

Mar 6, 2012
Norway
Hi

This is like "the prime directive" from star trek...
What, no warp field, man that's no way to travel... where be the soul?

Imperial

JackD201

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
Manila, Philippines
To achieve the opposite call

1-800-EXO-RCIST

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Hi

FrantZ,

Sorry to say , but IMHO you are distorting the meaning of the thread. Several audiophile members have expressed valid opinions showing they understand the type of language that is being used by the starting post.

BTW, calling for dropping it with such poor arguments only increases my wish to debate it! :)

Robert

Nov 10, 2010
We all have heard super duper expensive systems that just did not have "it". We were not moved. What gave your system soul?

This is easy. 1) BAT Rex Preamp, 2) Tripoint Audio Troy, 3) Jade Audio ICs and SCs, and 4) HiFi Tuning Gold Fuses. Each of these provides musical beauty that compells you to listen without compromising resolution.

RogerD

VIP/Donor
May 23, 2010
BiggestLittleCity

FrantzM

Apr 20, 2010
Micro

By all means please do debate the value of "Soul" in an electronic system ... We are going much further out than I feared .. Oh Well .. I yearn for more educative posts/threads ... of the kind that allow audiophiles to improve their systems or at least point them toward it ... All forums do experience those dry spells ... The good times will be back...

microstrip

VIP/Donor
May 30, 2010
Portugal
Micro

By all means please do debate the value of "Soul" in an electronic system ... We are going much further out than I feared .. Oh Well .. I yearn for more educative posts/threads ... of the kind that allow audiophiles to improve their systems or at least point them toward it ... All forums do experience those dry spells ... The good times will be back...

Frantz,

Thanks for the permission! :)

But as my wording is very poor I will quote the words from the site of someone you respect to make me understood:

"The sound of a high-end audio system is determined by a multitude of technical parameters. The higher the ability to understand and to control the sound implications of these parameters the less it becomes likely that the sonic soul of a stereo system is the result of coincidence."

As you should have guessed now it is Dieter Burmester opinion quoted from the Burmester site . I once read an interview with him in a french magazine where he expressed it even more poetically. Do you think that only great and recognized poets should be allowed to write poems? :)

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing