Paradigm signature sub 2

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Anyone with an an experience with these? This is a marketing video but kind of cool anyway regarding the vibration cancelling design of the sub:

RUR

WBF Founding Member
Apr 20, 2010
SoCal
Sure looks like they've borrowed the basic design from Martin Logan's sub-woofers, which have used this configuration since ~2002. Both Paradigm and ML are now owned by Shoreview, so it's all in the family.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
Paradigm
http://hometheaterreview.com/paradigm-ships-new-hexagonal-shaped-signature-subwoofer-/

Martin Logan
http://www.hi-endaudio.com/2007_CEDIA_Show.htm

Yep, looks very similar in principle.

I wonder how different in theory they are to the old m&K push-pull subwoofers?

http://www.homecinemacentral.co.uk/forums/f60/m-k-mx-350-thx-subwoofer-6220/

The MK Sound MX-350THX and MX-250 subwoofers use dual ultra high performance, long-throw 12” magnetically shielded drivers, capable of extremely high output with superb articulation, clarity and authority. The onboard power amplifiers employ MK SOUND Balanced Push-Pull Dual Drive Amplifier technology, which incorporates proprietary Headroom Maximizer IV circuitry to prevent amplifier clipping and the resulting unwanted audible artifacts. Delivering massive power, these innovative amplifiers give you extremely clean sound and extraordinary articulation, along with enormous output and incredible dynamic range. MK SOUND’s Deep Bass sealed-box design produces significant low frequency extension, with in-room response flat to well below 20 Hz for lifelike power and authority that other subwoofers simply cannot match. MK SOUND’s Push-Pull Dual Driver Configuration delivers a major improvement in bass detail and articulation by virtually eliminating even-order harmonic distortion and doubling the sound power per wat of amplifier power, for 6 dB of additional output! The linear phase lowpass filter optimizes speaker performance and simplifies set-up. In virtually all cases, regardless of the room, listener location or speakers, the overlapping acoustic output of the satellites and subwoofer will sum to near perfection for a seamless transition between the upper range of the subwoofer and the lower range of the satellite speakers.

MX-350 THX SPECIFICATIONS
Rated Power: . 350 Watts
Frequency Response:. 18 Hz – 200 Hz ±3dB
Low Pass Filter: Variable. 50 Hz-125 Hz
Fixed. 80 Hz THX Filter Bypass
Finish:. Black Satin
Dimensions (HxWxD):. 23.5” x 15.3” x 20”
59.6 x 38.8 x 50.8 cm
Weight:. 82 lb/ 37.3 kg

amirm

Banned
Apr 2, 2010
Seattle, WA
Thanks George. I actually have a couple of those M&K subs! But with one driver pointing down and the other into the room I don't see them cancelling each other as far as vibration.

The ML unit though, does seem like a mirror image.

kach22i

WBF Founding Member
Apr 21, 2010
Ann Arbor, Michigan
www.kachadoorian.com
don't see them cancelling each other as far as vibration.
This brings up a question. Is the main souce of "vibration" caused by the mechanical movement of the drive units or the mass movement of air in the enclosure?

Could we say the Paradigm and M/L designs deal with the mechanical, and the M&K deals with the mass of air?

I would think that if you nip it in the bud (mechanically) that you would not have to deal with it later with the mass of air as much. That is assuming these are two different issues to begin with.

About us

• What’s Best Forum is THE forum for high end audio, product reviews, advice and sharing experiences on the best of everything else. This is THE place where audiophiles and audio companies discuss vintage, contemporary and new audio products, music servers, music streamers, computer audio, digital-to-analog converters, turntables, phono stages, cartridges, reel-to-reel tape machines, speakers, headphones and tube and solid-state amplification. Founded in 2010 What’s Best Forum invites intelligent and courteous people of all interests and backgrounds to describe and discuss the best of everything. From beginners to life-long hobbyists to industry professionals, we enjoy learning about new things and meeting new people, and participating in spirited debates.

Quick Navigation

User Menu

Steve Williams
Site Founder | Site Owner | Administrator
Ron Resnick
Site Co-Owner | Administrator
Julian (The Fixer)
Website Build | Marketing Managersing